JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why would it matter when your CPL was issued? Did the background check to get a cpl change after a certain date? If so I can understand, but if not, it makes no sense. I'm up for renewal this summer.

Yes, there is a change in the way background checks are done. Instead of the local police doing the background check directly through the FBI, the police now go through NICS. I don't know how that will affect those of us who always get delayed. I am one of those folks that are in so many FBI databases for so many different reasons that they never get the check done in the allotted three days.
Ed

Yes, there is a change in the way background checks are done. Instead of the local police doing the background check directly through the FBI, the police now go through NICS. I don't know how that will affect those of us who always get delayed. I am one of those folks that are in so many FBI databases for so many different reasons that they never get the check done in the allotted three days.
Ed

But the background check for a CPL in WA includes a NICS check. NICS is maintained by the FBI.

But the background check for a CPL in WA includes a NICS check. NICS is maintained by the FBI.

Prior to July 2011, WA permits applications were not run thru NICS in the background check. They were run thru FBI NCIC check which may or may not have included NICS disqualifiers. Even though both systems are FBI systems they don't interlink (Another fed system at its finest, don't get me started)! WA state disqualifiers are also different then federal disqualifiers, so you may be legal to possess a firearm in WA but still be federally prohibited to do so, which is still the case today. Bottom line is prior to that July 22, 2011 date it may have been possible to get a WA concealed carry permit and still be a prohibited person under NICS qualification rules. After that July date, all CPL permits are now run thru NICS also so therefore the ATF has told WA FFL's the new permits are valid for NICS background check exemption status.

The holdup is that WA State still needs to enact law to allow that exemption to be used in the State of WA. Until then everything remains the same. WA Bill 1839 mentioned above in this post will allow that to happen if passed.

When or if Bill 1839 passes, if you're a WA CPL holder (issued or renewed on or after July 22, 2011) you will be able to walk in, fill out the 4473, show your ID, your permit, pay your money and out the door you go with your purchase as long as your permit is valid. No NICS call to be made, no delay, no denial, no more up to 3 day or more waits for NICS to call back with status.

Jmac1911, I feel your pain about the constant delay thing. I used to get those all the time also due to similar name and birthday with a prohibited person. I got the UPIN and so far I have only been delayed 1 time with that so far. Other UPIN transactions have been a proceed. Be safe -G

Prior to July 2011, WA permits applications were not run thru NICS in the background check. They were run thru FBI NCIC check which may or may not have included NICS disqualifiers. Even though both systems are FBI systems they don't interlink (Another fed system at its finest, don't get me started)! WA state disqualifiers are also different then federal disqualifiers, so you may be legal to possess a firearm in WA but still be federally prohibited to do so, which is still the case today.

gcban,

Now you have made me uneasy.

I have a current CPL issued under the old method. I am always delayed by NICS. Never denied, always delayed. As far as I know, no FFL has ever received a proceed. The FFL always delivered after the three day wait. I have asked a couple of times if they ever got a proceed authorization. In each case I have been told that they don't know because they don't update their paper after the gun is delivered.

Are you saying that due the change in the way WA conducts the background checks for a CPL, someone that currently has a WA CPL could be denied renewal of their CPL?

Ed

gcban,

Now you have made me uneasy.

I have a current CPL issued under the old method. I am always delayed by NICS. Never denied, always delayed. As far as I know, no FFL has ever received a proceed. The FFL always delivered after the three day wait. I have asked a couple of times if they ever got a proceed authorization. In each case I have been told that they don't know because they don't update their paper after the gun is delivered.

Are you saying that due the change in the way WA conducts the background checks for a CPL, someone that currently has a WA CPL could be denied renewal of their CPL?

Ed

Ed, to answer the last part of your question first, the answer is YES. Someone who currently holds a WA permit issued (original or renewed) prior to July 22, 2011 may in fact be denied at renewal time if they do not meet the NICS qualification criteria. That is going to happen to some WA permit holders for sure. That has nothing to do with Bill 1839. That's the way it is period regardless.

Personally I don't think you have anything to worry about. NICS issues denials and delays like candy at Halloween if there is any doubt of qualification, you are guilty until proven innocent in the NICS system, they will deny or delay first and get the facts later. The fact you have never received a proceed response does not mean you are a prohibited person. I have had the same thing happen for over 30 days on 2 different purchases without a proceed ever!

Don't be uneasy about it. If you haven't had consistent denials for firearms purchases you will be fine. I found out about mine when I got a denial for some other yahoo with similar name and birth date. Then I got the UPIN to help and it has.

My permit is not up for renewal until 2015 but if Bill 1839 is enacted into law I will actually cancel my current WA permit and get a whole new one. You can't renew your current permit until 3 months prior to its expiration date. I live in the NICS nightmare also and I will gladly wait for a new permit to forgo the constant delay thing. Even when I use my UPIN it still takes longer for the NICS proceed response.

Hope this answers your question. -G

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews