JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It all depends on the situation and circumstances. Do I hear a bump in the night in my apartment or is something spooking one of my animals on my 10 acre property? Or am I trying to defend my house from 4 armed home invaders...or do I need to make a run into down for supplies during a civil unrest situation?

Here's a very basic list of gear I would want if I have to go out and check a possible threat on the property. The issue is where do you carry all of that and how do you get it loaded up quickly. Yea, maybe a battle belt or a tac vest of some sort is a little overkill. Then again you can have it staged, ready to go and throw it on in 10 seconds. It all depends on your needs and situation.
  • Gun
  • Spare mag(s)
  • Flashlight (in addition to the light on the gun)
  • Phone and/or walkie talkie to talk to the wife unit
  • Keys to vehicles and various locks
  • Knife
  • gunshot first aid kit
  • Multitool
  • Electronic ear pro would be nice

It all depends on the situation and circumstances. Do I hear a bump in the night in my apartment or is something spooking one of my animals on my 10 acre property? Or am I trying to defend my house from 4 armed home invaders...or do I need to make a run into down for supplies during a civil unrest situation?

Here's a very basic list of gear I would want if I have to go out and check a possible threat on the property. The issue is where do you carry all of that and how do you get it loaded up quickly. Yea, maybe a battle belt or a tac vest of some sort is a little overkill. Then again you can have it staged, ready to go and throw it on in 10 seconds. It all depends on your needs and situation.
  • Gun
  • Spare mag(s)
  • Knife
  • gunshot first aid kit
  • Multitool
That's my everyday loadout in jeans and a tshirt (no "kit/tacticool gear" needed). Haha. Minus the multi tool which is in the truck.

• Gun
  • Spare mag(s)
  • Knife
  • gunshot first aid kit
  • Multitool
All of that except maybe ear pro; can easily go on a quick access "battle" (more patrol/ranch) belt setup. There's a wide range of options available from the trendy military based ones to the classic leather ones

Yeah, late to this party again, as usual, but as far as I'm concerned, unless you're an infantryman, a battle-belt is not only unnecessary, it marks you as a poser (and as some say now on the forums, a "larper."

I spend a bit more'n twenty years on active duty (a couple sandbox excursions) and just over twelve years as a tac team member on my post-mil career. Never needed a "battle belt" or a chest rig. I mean really, why? Why wear more gear when you can wear less?

However, I did sport some plates and/or sweaty body armor back in the day, and currently own a couple plate-carriers with some Level 4 plates that sit in my closet and maybe I'll break out when the zombie apocalypse starts (I absolutely loathe wearing ten pounds of steel or ceramic that chafe my manly nipples).

Yeah, late to this party again, as usual, but as far as I'm concerned, unless you're an infantryman, a battle-belt is not only unnecessary, it marks you as a poser (and as some say now on the forums, a "larper."

I spend a bit more'n twenty years on active duty (a couple sandbox excursions) and just over twelve years as a tac team member on my post-mil career. Never needed a "battle belt" or a chest rig. I mean really, why? Why wear more gear when you can wear less?

However, I did sport some plates and/or sweaty body armor back in the day, and currently own a couple plate-carriers with some Level 4 plates that sit in my closet and maybe I'll break out when the zombie apocalypse starts (I absolutely loathe wearing ten pounds of steel or ceramic that chafe my manly nipples).

Some experience here but not nearly as much as some…

I think there is a distinction that should be made between active duty and lone wolf on your property (however large or small that may be).

Infantry rolls in groups and if you don't have something then most likely your buddy does.

At home you have to account for everything on your own.

I think there is also a declination between 'poser' and someone choosing to wear gear and knows how to use it.

There is also a huge swing in personalities.

When I was hunting (and still when I'm out in the woods) I packed everything but the kitchen sink.

My buddies packed hardly anything on the bases of ounces turn into pounds as the miles go on.

BUT when someone forgot their water and I'm lugging 6 pints of it in water bottles they sure were happy I was sharing.

I also carry a good deal of para cord always. In the woods I have needed it exactly one time…. When a buddy was having knee problems and couldn't get up the steep hill the rest of us just went up. I didn't wench him up or anything but it was just enough help that he was able to make it.

I'm a former Boy Scout as well and grew up in a 3rd world county out in the jungle on the ocean. You kinda had to plan on having things you ''might' need cuz there are mini marts stocked better then what we had access to.

Just some points to ponder.

Ultimately I would rather be labeled a poser or pack rat And never need most of it then worry about what other people think of me and wish I had something but was to worried about how I would be perceived by people around me.

Honestly, this whole thread is basically a giant 9mm vs 45 debate and the only right answer is do what works for you. If there was one best way of doing things then there would only be 5-6 guns on the market, 2-3 knives, 1 backpack etc - except there are multiple hundreds of options so someone must be buying all the stuff others are not fond of.

There, 2¢ and some extra :D

The oldies NEVER die!!

1681C1B3-229D-43FC-9622-879CAFB26451.jpeg

I really don't care whether someone thinks me a poser or not. The older I get, the less I care about other's opinions of myself, my actions, what I possess or wear.

As for whether I am an infantryman or not - I am not. But I find having gear/supplies I need with/on me and readily accessible in a SHTF situation, to be a benefit. As I have already stated, if the situation is such that I feel I need to be constantly armed to defend myself against armed attack by multiple people and it is a WROL, then I will need body armor and a loadout handy.

The story goes: An Australian commando,Scott Jones, brought back a severely wounded colleagues plate carrier. After making some public statements about issues he had with alleged unfair investigations into the Australian SF community his house was raided by the police. He was arrested under the prohibited weapon act for possessing the vest and the two destroyed Pmag's inside.

Thankfully the judge in the case threw this out, but the fact that you can be arrested and charged for possession of a plate carrier (which was a tribute to an injured colleague) is a disgrace.

Wednesday morning and 5 pages. TLDR....
@Bushman, get a chest rig and try it out. No better way to see what you like and do not like. It's easy to overthink this.

I remember sweating a similar question, and after reading dozens of reviews, said fuggit bought an inexpensive one on Amazon. Taiwanese made, sleeves for plates, lots of molle and pockets, fully adjustable. Like any piece of gear, I familiarized myself with it and found what works best for me. For example, if I load it with mags, and don't adjust it right, those suckers are banging against my body as I'm moving.
I used it in Mt Hood on long hikes (McNeil Point). I still found it hot and scratchy.
It was great for prepping for a hunting trip -- I filled all the pockets with lead ingots and then went out running hills. It was great for that. Covid came, and the trip got canceled. Since then it has sat in a storage tub.

How do you carry a couple of spare mags for your handgun and/or rifle, IFAK, holster and knife?

In what context? Daily carry?
It is not based on context and is a specific really about how a particular type of gear makes you a "poser", but provided no actual helpful information or alternate solutions.

I have systems that work for me and my use. I am not looking down on others and their setup/use.

It is not based on context and is a specific really about how a particular type of gear makes you a "poser", but provided no actual helpful information or alternate solutions.

I have systems that work for me and my use. I am not looking down on others and their setup/use.
I didn't know what the scenario was. My apologies. Gear will be staged and carried differently from civilian attire (daily dress) vs. a static range when you have a "battle belt" and plate carriers on and being "incognito/gray man" is not important.

That's all.

Pile of rigs I have that's mostly for display fun and modifications :s0140: 20230326_093540.jpg
Modified LBV/MOLLE FLC hybrid
20230127_110548.jpg 20230127_110705.jpg
20230129_124825.jpg 20221211_122932.jpg
FLCs, various setups, not shown are the 2 First Gen MOLLE vests I also have.

20221029_094830.jpg
Blackhawk LBE with Spec Ops buttpack
20220904_093207.jpg
One of two complete Tactical Tailor MAVs in Olive Drab

20211212_201236.jpg
HSGI Wasatch Large plate carrier/chestcrig with M65 woodland jacket

20211114_130321.jpg
SDS/BaE Systems Releasable Body Armor Vest (RBAV) with Eagle/others Khaki pouches, no soft armor inserts yet (spendy)

Of these, the HSGI, MAV, hybrid and Blackhawk rigs would be my primary camping/hiking/shooting/patrol rigs but that's dependent on what's available to grab
I don't keep everything loaded

How do you carry a couple of spare mags for your handgun and/or rifle, IFAK, holster and knife?
Pretty easily, a double-mag pouch on the belt around my left flank, a pancake OWB holster on the belt at 3:00, a folder in a pocket, and a Streamlight Pro-Tac light in a pants pocket.

I don't carry an IFAK unless I'm on a range, but keep one (as well as a full trauma kit) in my truck along with a fixed-blade knife. Don't pack spare magazines for the carbine unless I'm heading into the woods or mountains, but they'll be in the truck as well.

I see a lot of guys shooting outdoors all kitted up like they're heading back into Ramadi or Fallujah again and frankly, just don't see the need. Don't know what all these dudes are training for (unless they know something I don't), but having retired twice, once from the military and once from an LE career, I know how heavy and unwieldy a lot of crap worn on the chest and about the waist can get, especially after sixteen or so hours, so the whole "battle-belt" thing is for me, best left for those actually going into a battle.

If any of you like to wear all this stuff when you hit the range, have at it. If you're training for defending your compound against the raiding hordes of outlaw bikers (or the feds), kudos for being prepared.

And apologies if I offended any of you with the reference to posers. Not my intention.

Pretty easily, a double-mag pouch on the belt around my left flank, a pancake OWB holster on the belt at 3:00, a folder in a pocket, and a Streamlight Pro-Tac light in a pants pocket.

I don't carry an IFAK unless I'm on a range, but keep one (as well as a full trauma kit) in my truck along with a fixed-blade knife. Don't pack spare magazines for the carbine unless I'm heading into the woods or mountains, but they'll be in the truck as well.
This makes a lot of sense 👍

I see a lot of guys shooting outdoors all kitted up like they're heading back into Ramadi or Fallujah again and frankly, just don't see the need. Don't know what all these dudes are training for (unless they know something I don't), but having retired twice, once from the military and once from an LE career, I know how heavy and unwieldy a lot of crap worn on the chest and about the waist can get, especially after sixteen or so hours, so the whole "battle-belt" thing is for me, best left for those actually going into a battle.
It's a thing "train how you fight = fight how you train" :s0140: that said.. there's still a lot to be said for keeping things minimal/reducing as much gear as possible; however it also presupposes one has reliable resupply resources to draw from.

If any of you like to wear all this stuff when you hit the range, have at it. If you're training for defending your compound against the raiding hordes of outlaw bikers (or the feds), kudos for being prepared.
thats a big part of it, people like to feel like they belong. . And some people think overkill is better that being killed.

And apologies if I offended any of you with the reference to posers. Not my intention.
No worries. Everyone's fair game when it comes to fashion ;) :s0064:

I really don't care whether someone thinks me a poser or not. The older I get, the less I care about other's opinions of myself, my actions, what I possess or wear.
Exactly. Take your judgmental, opinionated BS and shove where the sun don't shine. Zero chits given. Spend your $$$ how you wish, I'll do the same. Pretty simple really.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews