JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got multiple rig setups for 10/22, .357, .41mag, SKS & HK91. The other day I put on a Tach vest with Yugo stripper clips pouches and Beretta 92 holster and mags, loaded it out...Guess what, I'm not running anywhere. I'm throwing down right here right now. :cool: PAX

Sure if you're Delta or something I can see it. Chest rig, battle belt, camo.

For most of us defending the fam in a bad situation, a concealable plate carrier, civilian holster and mag carrier, maybe with two double rifle mag pouches on our belts will conceal better and be more comfortable.

Dump pouch? I can't envision trying to mess with a dump pouch at 2 AM when I'm dumping rifle mags and getting shot at.

This is also more friendly looking hiking in the hills with your gear for practice than trotting around looking like a DevGru Operator on the hiking trail. Much less reason for LE to contact you like this too.
I can't read the future. If it's not hurting your wallet and you want it, why not? If you've been carrying 20 years and never needed a gun to defend yourself, was it a waste?

I can't read the future. If it's not hurting your wallet and you want it, why not? If you've been carrying 20 years and never needed a gun to defend yourself, was it a waste?
This.

Ive carried a gun daily for 21 years and never had to pull the trigger... was glad I had it though a few times...

"tactical gear" is more what Id call practical gear anymore. Not as EDC, but if you have firearms for self defense... why not have protective gear and efficient means of carrying your weapons, etc?

really, if one has a rifle for self defense in an urban/suburban/semi rural setting as most of us are.... what are you planning on defending against? Now, in that scenario where you need your AR/AK/etc for self defense... it is really a stretch to think that you could use some armor plates and a few more mags at the ready?

I know its fun to bag on 'geardos' as LARPers, etc. but really, its not a stretch.

Id like to think that if I have firearms for defense, and I have a responsibility to protect my family and property.... I have a responsibility not to get killed, and as a regular bubblegum guy, I will take all the help I can get... this means I have plate carrier with Lvl4 plates, a means to carry extra ammo, etc... a medkit with a torniquet... again, the goal is not to die....

Will I ever need all this bubblegum? Probably not... just like Ive never needed my CCW or my Homeowner's Insurance. Doesnt mean you dont prepare.

20191023_234530.jpg

While not exactly "armored"... if you're a slim, well fit dude/dudette; this rig is awesome looking.... and is easily hidden under coats/jackets, blazers....

Or you can get this Arktis Covert elastic rig

Edit or Unity's Clutch belt

heres a better way to look at this....

If say a magic geni appeared and told you tomorrow you would be shot at while defending the fam, would you still think a chest rig, battle belt, camo and any other armor tacticool gear you can strap on your body still be overrated?
This is why, as a prepper, I am starting to get some of the tactical accoutrements, such as belts, harnesses, mag holders, etc.

I have guns for SHTF. I don't think it is a stretch at all to say that if you have defensive guns for a SHTF scenario, that you are anticipating using those guns to defend yourself/family/property. So, in that case, it just makes sense to have tactical gear/armor.

So far I don't have much, a "tactical belt" ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035KW3WU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) - which I wear almost every day as it is a good stiff belt and works well with my suspenders, some tactical load carrying gear, and some ballistic helmets. I do plan to get a "battle belt" (I think I might have one already), and some armor.

Sure if you're Delta or something I can see it. Chest rig, battle belt, camo.

For most of us defending the fam in a bad situation, a concealable plate carrier, civilian holster and mag carrier, maybe with two double rifle mag pouches on our belts will conceal better and be more comfortable.

Dump pouch? I can't envision trying to mess with a dump pouch at 2 AM when I'm dumping rifle mags and getting shot at.

This is also more friendly looking hiking in the hills with your gear for practice than trotting around looking like a DevGru Operator on the hiking trail. Much less reason for LE to contact you like this too.
You're thinking about this all wrong. The heavy kit isn't for the regular day to day grocery store trip. The heavy kit is for the American militia, Red Dawn, style events with the occasional block burning riot thrown in. Like when my wife was stuck downtown when the busses stopped running because of the riots and I drove down "prepared" to respond if necessary to people who may have wanted to harm me/the wife.

People don't buy thermal and night vision to deal with the random deviant while running errands. Those pieces of gear are intended for a different purpose.

What's funny though is you mentioned all that but then brought up the notion of dumping rifle mags at 2am and thought that the dump pouch was the ridiculous part. Good gracious, if you are dumping rifle mags at 2am then it would seem the heavy kit would be rather legitimately needed/useful.

You can do all that hiking around and gear testing with kit on without a visible gun. It might catch some attention from the neon clothed hikers, but who the F cares. We've gotten to the point that people will say with a straight face that men can get pregnant, and you are concerned they think you're the odd one?

I wore a First Spear Strandhogg to play tennis. Just plates, no mags or anything, and you know what I overheard the people say as they walked by. Woman: "why is he wearing that?" Man with her: "athletes wear weighted vests to practice in sometimes to build their strength and stamina."

If you are out in the woods gear testing, that's relatively reasonable. People go out into the woods to do outdoorsy stuff. If you are at your locally grocery store in full kit, yeah, you're a retard. Context matters.

As said above, context matters.
Everyday use? No.
Bump in the night? I personally don't see the need for full kit, but you do you. I have a few small bags (5.11 2-Banger, Vertx EDC, etc) set up for rapid response that can be used as impromptu chest rigs, containing mags, light, knife, and medical. One hangs by my HD gun so if I need it I can just sling it on while grabbing the weapon.
If S has actually HTF (breakdown of law and order, widespread rioting, looting, roving bands of gangs, etc) and there is a higher likelihood of a protracted gunfight occuring? Yes, I would definitely want to have a chest rig full of mags and gear, Lv4 armor, dump pouch, etc.

I'll preface this with "To each his own."

I survived 4 combat tours in Vietnam with nothing more than standard issue LCE. It seems to me that a lot of people over look the fact that combat is an extremely energetic endeavor and burning a lot of calories generates a lot of heat. Most of the "tactical" vests and carriers look to me like fine insulators that would trap body heat quite effectively. Picture having to dig ditches or post holes in it. I wouldn't think that would or should be anyone's first choice. Having seen it many many times, I can say without any doubt whatsoever, that a soldier suffering from heat prostration is not an effective fighter. The rule of thumb in combat for me is "keep it light and simple."

I have a Strike Hard chest rig with mags, a good knife, zip ties, tourniquet, dump pouch, a good light, and a few other items. It can be donned quickly and serves as my "bump in the night" kit here on the farm. No plate carrier though.

If you've never had to break out the spare tire for your car because you got a flat in the middle or nowhere, was it a waste? Does that mean since you've never "used" your spare tire in an emergency, it's not in "common use" and therefore not constitutionally protected?

Right, Judge Karin Immergut of the US District Court in PDX? :rolleyes:

You slimy, mealy-mouthed, weasel-progressive DF……. o_O

I'll preface this with "To each his own."

I survived 4 combat tours in Vietnam with nothing more than standard issue LCE. It seems to me that a lot of people over look the fact that combat is an extremely energetic endeavor and burning a lot of calories generates a lot of heat. Most of the "tactical" vests and carriers look to me like fine insulators that would trap body heat quite effectively. Picture having to dig ditches or post holes in it. I wouldn't think that would or should be anyone's first choice. Having seen it many many times, I can say without any doubt whatsoever, that a soldier suffering from heat prostration is not an effective fighter. The rule of thumb in combat for me is "keep it light and simple."
I am a vet but never have been shot at. I work with several people who did time in the in global war of terror who have. They also say they gave up on plates due to the heat and hills. But, they also have a support system and trained teammates.

In a local SHTF you have to think, no one is coming for you. The Air Force trains an escape & evasion mindset where other branches have more of a meat eater belief. But the AF thinks you'll likely be alone or hurt in a bad neighborhood. Here's fighting basics, but shut up until the calvary arrives.

We have seen hints of localized shtf but so far the Boogaloo hasn't fired off. But some groups keep poking the 🐻. Any gear to keep blood and air in you is a good idea. The cold wet PNW is in your favor.

I do not own one yet - it's something I continue to procrastinate for whatever reasons. (Money cough cough)

However, I'd rather be able to toss a vest on and have extra mags, light, pistol and other things I might need for a home invasion then trying to stuff a couple mags in the pocket of my sweats…

In regards to the quote above:

When I am out of town and hiking in the woods I always take a long gun with me - if the city folk are uncomfortable with that then they can go find the closest safe space but I've been out in the boonies all of my life and from experience I am more worried about people then animals.

If someone thinks I'm LARPing it really makes no difference to me, I'd rather be safe.
Sounds like I want to go hiking with you!!! :D:cool:

As always, the answer is "it depends." What's your purpose? Are you hunting Bambi? Plinking on the range? Don't need to worry about that stuff.

Concerned citizen, modern minuteman, American patriot? You should probably invest in at least a chest rig and a plate carrier at some point.

Asking if a chest rig/plate carrier, etc., is overrated in 2023 is like asking the Minutemen of 1776 if powder horns and cartridge boxes are overrated. It's always a good idea to be able to carry spare ammunition, medical, and other tools on you. I'd argue a battle belt is the lowest priority... probably something like chest rigs > plate carriers > battle belts.

Over rated In what context?
Definitely another rabbit hole…
More bullets more better…
How else would carry IFAK, Tourniquet, Radio, Tomahawk, IR strobe, Admin pouch with all the fixins? Or whatever else they can put on there in addition to BULLETS.

Seems like it would be fun to me. It's money though unless you want to get ripped for wearing the budget stuff.

I heard a crusty old man on YouTube….Clint smith….rant about a lot of ratings and purposes in gun fights and training gear.

Many memorable quotes…. One that sticks out to me here:

"You'll fight with what's in or on your gun"
in the context of combat shotgun type situations in home defense I guess. I think it applies across platforms and fighting/training scenarios…… with what's on your person.

I don't know….. have it and not need it, or need it and not have it?

Why not befriend the big boys who train like that, train with, and fit in? Why not get it, get kinda use to it, and store it? Why not just save your money and don't?

My mind leads me down the path….. similar to BOB, GHB, or whatever bag. Or CCW for personal defense, or quick access pistol safes. Like a kid with a rubber in his wallet.

If you think it's cool or possibly useful in situations….. no matter how far out…. Do it. Ignore me though, I'm an idiot.

:rolleyes: If you ain't got time for it then you should really have some medical and tourniquets to stop the bleed so you can keep LARPerating :p:D
You, sir must be knee-high to a grasshopper because the (sophisticated) humor in my last two posts has clearly gone way over your head……

Besides, that is my kit for operating in well lit parking lots of hospitals.

BTW- you have been trolled.

;):D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top