JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Picture having to dig ditches or post holes in it. I wouldn't think that would or should be anyone's first choice.
My first choice would be to use a backhoe to dig a ditch/hole. If I had to do it with a shovel (I probably wouldn't with my heart & back) I would take some gear off if it was too hot, but 6+ months of the year here, I would welcome something to keep me warm; I don't imagine it snowed very often in Vietnam?

I have plenty of holsters and belts to use.
Everything has a use and place.

I used to load up a regular belt with a holster and pouches for range use but I find that more hassle than I care for.
I like a dedicated belt with holster and pouches on it, easy on and off.
I have a wide padded one that works well and have been looking at getting an inner belt with Velcro and outer belt.

I've got a plate carrier, chest rig, etc. because I can. Kind of like a fire extinguisher; hope I don't need to use it, but I've got it.

Also have a gun belt with holster for my bedside gun, mag pouches, and flashlight pouch on it hanging near the bedroom door. If I have to go running outside to deal with something in the middle of the night I want to have reloads and be able to holster my gun.

I always thought it wouldn't be bad to have a LBV of some sort set up with a few spare mags, a spare light and a pre-paid cell phone for a bump in the night scenario.

That way everything is centrally located and within reach. Maybe next to the bed or somewhere easily accessible.

But majority of time a good handgun, holster, spare magazine and a small hand held light.

I am too old to wear all the gear today but I set up a nice little package I can carry. I have a water bottle, a good light and a spare AR 15 magazine in one of these.

It will hold more but I don't see the need.

For your explained use, likely they are overrated. Well unless you are trying to blend in with the boarder patrol folks I see here in AZ.

Like everything else, right tool for the right job. I have several different levels of gear. I dont go to the store or on a hike fully "kitted" out, that would be ridiculous for so many reasons.

In your scenario, again they are overrated. If you are "messing" with a dump pouch, that means you have not trained with your gear.

Whatever gear you chose to use, you need to train with it. I like my battle belt (3 pistol mags, 2 rifle mags, knife, IFAK and dump pouch) so much, I built one for my professional camera gear. It has a pin attachment holster on either side, 2 large pouches for lenses/flashes/misc gear and a dump pouch in the mid back for a drink holder. I have shot a few large events and been on a few hikes with this set up and love it. No I am not getting shot at, but the functionally is the same and for me it is a great set up.

I wear a belt with multiple handgun and AR mag holders as well as a dump bag for some training and some range events. The dump bag really does come in handy at times. I also use my AR with a light during training so I'm accustomed to the extra weight.

It may come as a surprise to some here...but for my firearms....most of the items mentioned in the OP are not needed...:D

With that said...
Having worn and used many of the items while in the Army on combat deployments...
I can say that they get heavy and hot.
Also....for most of the LRRP / LRSD missions I was on...we often ditched / cached that sh!t and only took what we really needed.
Again 'cause it was hot and heavy...it impedes movement and can be difficult to camouflage.

In any event...Who the Hell cares...?
If you want it....and can afford it...buy it.
If you don't want it...don't buy and use or do something else.

I do agree with @Knobgoblin and his post #12...
Actually do something like walk up and down stairs....tie yer boots....jump up and down with all that sh!t on....
See what rattles , shakes , falls off...needs to be tied down etc....
Andy

Last Edited:
I've been using the same drop-leg AR mag pouch for rifle matches for 20+ years...for AK mags I have a surplus chinese chest rig....been thinking of upgrading, but it kinda falls under "if it aint broke..."
Been interesting over the last couple of decades to see what comes and goes in and out of fashion, LBE, vests, belts, carriers...pick something that works for you and practice with it.
Be realistic about scenarios...fantasy land "SHTFOMGWTFBBQ" is just that, a fantasy.

Just some examples of things I've made to stroke my mad scientist ego :D
20220721_191426.jpg 20220504_110810.jpg 20220117_142236.jpg 20210821_114400.jpg 20210320_095737.jpg 20200918_131104.jpg 20200918_123743.jpg 20200826_114535.jpg 20200826_114301.jpg

You're thinking about this all wrong. The heavy kit isn't for the regular day to day grocery store trip. The heavy kit is for the American militia, Red Dawn, style events with the occasional block burning riot thrown in. Like when my wife was stuck downtown when the busses stopped running because of the riots and I drove down "prepared" to respond if necessary to people who may have wanted to harm me/the wife.

People don't buy thermal and night vision to deal with the random deviant while running errands. Those pieces of gear are intended for a different purpose.

What's funny though is you mentioned all that but then brought up the notion of dumping rifle mags at 2am and thought that the dump pouch was the ridiculous part. Good gracious, if you are dumping rifle mags at 2am then it would seem the heavy kit would be rather legitimately needed/useful.

You can do all that hiking around and gear testing with kit on without a visible gun. It might catch some attention from the neon clothed hikers, but who the F cares. We've gotten to the point that people will say with a straight face that men can get pregnant, and you are concerned they think you're the odd one?

I wore a First Spear Strandhogg to play tennis. Just plates, no mags or anything, and you know what I overheard the people say as they walked by. Woman: "why is he wearing that?" Man with her: "athletes wear weighted vests to practice in sometimes to build their strength and stamina."

If you are out in the woods gear testing, that's relatively reasonable. People go out into the woods to do outdoorsy stuff. If you are at your locally grocery store in full kit, yeah, you're a retard. Context matters.
Dude - you haven't seen my grocery store :D

Yes. I want to go out in a blaze of glory wearing a cowboy hat, bandana over my face, leather chaps, spurs....and not much else.
One way or another, they'll have to blur the pictures. :)

You're thinking about this all wrong. The heavy kit isn't for the regular day to day grocery store trip. The heavy kit is for the American militia, Red Dawn, style events with the occasional block burning riot thrown in. Like when my wife was stuck downtown when the busses stopped running because of the riots and I drove down "prepared" to respond if necessary to people who may have wanted to harm me/the wife.

People don't buy thermal and night vision to deal with the random deviant while running errands. Those pieces of gear are intended for a different purpose.

What's funny though is you mentioned all that but then brought up the notion of dumping rifle mags at 2am and thought that the dump pouch was the ridiculous part. Good gracious, if you are dumping rifle mags at 2am then it would seem the heavy kit would be rather legitimately needed/useful.

You can do all that hiking around and gear testing with kit on without a visible gun. It might catch some attention from the neon clothed hikers, but who the F cares. We've gotten to the point that people will say with a straight face that men can get pregnant, and you are concerned they think you're the odd one?

I wore a First Spear Strandhogg to play tennis. Just plates, no mags or anything, and you know what I overheard the people say as they walked by. Woman: "why is he wearing that?" Man with her: "athletes wear weighted vests to practice in sometimes to build their strength and stamina."

If you are out in the woods gear testing, that's relatively reasonable. People go out into the woods to do outdoorsy stuff. If you are at your locally grocery store in full kit, yeah, you're a retard. Context matters.
I have a level IIIA panel in my day pack, along with a spare mag, IFAK, flashlight and water filter. That's about as far as I take things. Anything more would probably be a waste as I'm not any kind of operator. I'm a good shot and I avoid trouble. I figure if I find my way home blocked by some sort of civil unrest, I've probably got better odds than 99% of the urban population.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top