JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And I have another guy to add to the list of jackasses behind a gun counter! Money Market Pawn on 136th and Powell! The owner and his son are nice people. But he's got a jerk who runs the gun counter, who's on a power trip. He refuses to talk to more than one person at a time. (guess he can't multi task) And then is gruff, and appears to not be interested in selling anything once he finally finds time to deal with you.
I wait for the owner now, and tell the counter guy I want to deal with the owner, not him. I actually enjoy seeing him ticked when I don't want to deal with him.

When I walk into any gun shop, I am there to make a purchase. All I ask is that I am greeted in a timely manner, that you answer my questions (usually "do you have XXX handgun or XXX ammunition?") and that you keep your opinion about my choice to yourself.

Fortunately I have one (1) LGS in my area that understands this concept and receives all of my business.

There is that aspect also. Known, repeat customers who are hassle free are ALWAYS going to get a little more carte blanche than 'tire kickers'

While this is certainly true, what about the guy who walks in to a store, wanders around the used gun rack, then speaks briefly to the counter person, asking about a Savage 99, to which he receives the big sigh and
rolled eyes? Never mind there is a $799 price tag on a gun worth MAYBE $600. Then upon asking about
purchase requirements, gets the nasty response of "Washington Drivers License" without another word spoken.

This happened to me when I arrived in WA and didn't have a place to store a gun yet (temp hotel stay). It's too bad, nice little store with lots of interesting items in it. I haven't darkened their front door again, but I have
purchased 12 firearms in the past 18 months (from an FFL who knows what customer service is).

How many supposed "tire kickers" are potential gold mines? Assumptions can be expensive!

Unfortunately, gun shops are ultimately retail operations and not everybody is good at sales. Some people come off as too bored or busy to be bothered with selling and others treat sales like a competitive sport (like the stereotypical "used car salesman").

For any gun shop owners on the forum, let me relate the story of how my wife bought her first gun. I took her to one shop (which shall remain nameless) and the salesperson at first ignored us (I actually like it when the salespeople don't immediately pounce on me) but when my wife said that she was looking to buy her first gun, he didn't ask her any questions (like "what will you use it for?" or "what did you have in mind?") but immediately started in on a lecture about how she needed a high-capacity polymer-frame auto with good "stopping power". When she asked about small-frame revolvers, he said that they were "no use" and "worse than nothing".

We left that shop (without buying) and went to another one, where the salesperson asked what my wife planned to use the gun for (self-defense) and how she planned to carry it and what her experience was and then spent a long time showing her different guns and having her try them on with different holster. Bottom line, she spent several hundred dollars at the second shop and won't even step into the first one.

I don't think it's a matter of being "D-bags" so much as it is that not all people are good at sales (I know it's not MY strength).

Jim

How many supposed "tire kickers" are potential gold mines? Assumptions can be expensive!
Oh an on this I agree! AND as JamesRL said above not everyone is good at sales, or customer service. 'Real' experienced salespeople/customer service can see through the 'tire kickers' immediately - but know how back out of it respectfully and diplomatically.

Sadly you strike me as the kind of guy that wants a gunsmith run shop with very knowledgable staff and prices at, or below web prices. I frequent that type gunshop, less the internet pricing. I pay less than msrp, but more than Bud's. I am okay with this, because I have learned to trust and appreciate the advice and wisdom I glean at this gunshop. I am willing to buy my guns from there, pay a little more, but help keep him in business

+ 1

Federal Way Discount Guns, extremely knowledgeable friendly staff. This would be a great retail location for any type of product not just guns. As stated in another post on this thread, they aren't least expensive, but in the Puget Sound area, they are the best value!

When I walk into any gun shop, I am there to make a purchase. All I ask is that I am greeted in a timely manner, that you answer my questions (usually "do you have XXX handgun or XXX ammunition?") and that you keep your opinion about my choice to yourself.

Fortunately I have one (1) LGS in my area that understands this concept and receives all of my business.
This is the whole deal in a nut shell.
Do some research on what you want. There are tons of vids by knowledgeable people there. (may have to wade thru the DAs on there,fairly obvious)
And search forums for your answer.It can be pretty obvious when the DAs respond, so move to the next post.
Know what you want when you go in and have a good attitude. Most retail people have to deal with DAs all day and it gets tiresome.The way some of the comments read on here,people sound like they are looking for trouble when they go in.
But if you are informed when you go to the LGS,then you can ask for specifics and ignore the comments from the brain scientist behind the counter.Or maybe he is a rocket surgeon and can make an informed opinion.

If you go in expecting an a$$,you will probably find someone willing to be one

Having worked the gun counter for the absolute worst of the worst of "chain store gun dealers" Dick's sporting goods, I still tried to be fair and honest with each and every customer, ALWAYS! I needed a friggin job! I know more about fire arms then most, but I always kept my mouth shut, and just let the customer pick what he or she wanted! I had to keep quiet when some one wanted to spend hard earned (or not) money on the cheep crap we were forced to pedal! That place is a joke, and gives good dealers a bad name! I hate the Gun shop commandos probably more then most, and I sure tried hard not to be lumped in with those guys! The GunRoom???? Are you serious? That joker has pissed off more good customers in the 30 years I have been old enough to by arms! It's a wonder he can get any of the suppliers to ship him any thing! he pissed them all off as well! Talk about over priced!!! I didn't know you could pay twice the price for the same thing! Seriously, A rem 870 for $400.00 bucks every where else is $900.00 at the GunRoom!!!!! I guess you are there for the "experience" of getting dry raped with out a little hoppys to ease the pain!

Funny one recently. Guy comes in for a trade in. I tell him I'll give you X dollars. He says okay he wants this thing and he'd like me to put it on his firearm and he'll keep shopping around for the rest of his credit, no problem. So I come back out and he wants 15 more. I say no, we agreed on X. He then wants 5 more and threatens to never do business with us and will give us bad reviews if we don't. I tell him Sorry, we agreed on X. So, he pays the extra and storms out pissed off and leaves us a bad review. If you don't like a price, don't agree to it or if you want to barter a little higher don't act like a spoiled entitled prick.

Funny one recently. Guy comes in for a trade in. I tell him I'll give you X dollars. He says okay he wants this thing and he'd like me to put it on his firearm and he'll keep shopping around for the rest of his credit, no problem. So I come back out and he wants 15 more. I say no, we agreed on X. He then wants 5 more and threatens to never do business with us and will give us bad reviews if we don't. I tell him Sorry, we agreed on X. So, he pays the extra and storms out pissed off and leaves us a bad review. If you don't like a price, don't agree to it or if you want to barter a little higher don't act like a spoiled entitled prick.

This new trend of "Gimme-Gimme or I'll leave a bad internet review" is total BS. When did adults turn into such children?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top