JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's a good question.. I stopped in a local gun store and again was met with the typical gun counter guy.. You have met him.. He is really into guns but that is probably the only thing he is good at in life. He has no problem giving his opinion and looks down on every gun but the one he really likes. HK fanboy.. Glock fanboy, Sig etc etc..

Gun store owners would be much better served to hire non gun types and teach them a bit about guns. Hire people who understand customer service and sales. Not guys who have there idiot buddies behind the counter and act annoyed when you want to look at a gun.. The basics of how a gun store keeps it's doors open seems to elude many of these socially retarded gun guru's.

When you go to a store like Sportsmen warehouse or Cabellas you can look at guns.. Browse. You don't have the annoying look's from the gun counter guys like you do at a LGS.. The prices are terrible and I won't buy at those places ... The sales guys are less knowledgeable and that might be a good thing.

Am I talking about your gun store? Yes.. I'm talking about just about every gun store I have been to in my life. Barring the big box types. (I said I won't buy from them so calm down)

Am I wrong?

Someone please tell me about a gun store with good prices, employees who smile and down talk down to customers. Gun stores where the employees don't hurt business and actually help the owner make money.

rant over.

Someone please tell me about a gun store with good prices, employees who smile and down talk down to customers
I'll have to mention Cash Connection Pawn Shop in Bend. Good crew, always friendly and the ladies are gun savvy and friendly. I can't say they have a 'good' inventory because it changes so quickly you have to stop in weekly to see whats new. They buy well and there is very little 'junk' under the glass.

It's a good question.. I stopped in a local gun store and again was met with the typical gun counter guy.. You have met him.. He is really into guns but that is probably the only thing he is good at in life. He has no problem giving his opinion and looks down on every gun but the one he really likes. HK fanboy.. Glock fanboy, Sig etc etc..

Gun store owners would be much better served to hire non gun types and teach them a bit about guns. Hire people who understand customer service and sales. Not guys who have there idiot buddies behind the counter and act annoyed when you want to look at a gun.. The basics of how a gun store keeps it's doors open seems to elude many of these socially retarded gun guru's.

When you go to a store like Sportsmen warehouse or Cabellas you can look at guns.. Browse. You don't have the annoying look's from the gun counter guys like you do at a LGS.. The prices are terrible and I won't buy at those places ... The sales guys are less knowledgeable and that might be a good thing.

Am I talking about your gun store? Yes.. I'm talking about just about every gun store I have been to in my life. Barring the big box types. (I said I won't buy from them so calm down)

Am I wrong?

Someone please tell me about a gun store with good prices, employees who smile and down talk down to customers. Gun stores where the employees don't hurt business and actually help the owner make money.

rant over.

Maybe it is the customer ?

Nah.. It's how they treat customers.. The ones I see come in... ask a question.. Then walk right out because they are treated like idiots.. They usually are pretty good to me. When I go in I know what I'm looking for and take up very little time.

Gators in Kelso is a great store. They treat you nicely. The store has a wood stove and coffee too so you can just hang around and chat if you want to. I do not buy guns there as I am an Oregon resident but I buy accessories and other things.

Most of the firearms dealers I know are intelligent and respectful people. Some I have known for years, and they are good at what they do. There is an exception or two in every business. There are also customers that bring it on themselves. I have worked both sides of the counters and also had an FFL.
To broad-brush all firearms dealers and their help makes me think that the problem is not them !

Most of the firearms dealers I know are intelligent and respectful people. Some I have known for years, and they are good at what they do. There is an exception or two in every business. There are also customers that bring it on themselves. I have worked both sides of the counters and also had an FFL.
To broad-brush all firearms dealers and their help makes me think that the problem is not them !

Yep. You posted this while I was typing up something similar. The guys that I run across regularly are mostly pretty decent.

It's no different than ANY biz - In the RV industry one of the biggest problems is the customer who drove 500 + miles to save a few hundred bucks on a $50,000 + purchase - then comes in EXPECTING the same level of service as if he/she bought from US. I have had people come in and actually tell me 'Well I AM your customer NOW" (even though they did NOT purchase from us) Fortunately while I try to accommodate these types as best as possible they usually get put on the bottom of the appointment calendar (and it may be out a ways for them) as we have a multitude of our OWN customers' that come first.

I didn't say all gun dealers... Just say 15 of the 20 I have been to in the last few years. Example...

I'm a gym guy and have worked out at several gyms over the years.. I started out at the "meat head" gyms but eventually found a great local gym with a good mix. The best counter guys at gym's are non meat heads... The average looking guy who used to manage the local Quiznos.. Those guys will actually make you a protein shake and do there job.. The gym I go to quit hiring gym rat types years ago. Enrollment up.. Now females come in and feel comfortable.. It's a business.. Not a place for the Bro's to hang..

I guess not all businesses are interested in growing and reaching a wide customer base. No problem with that. Just not for me.

I am in customer service myself.. I give the guy who drove 500 miles to save a nickel the same exact service I give everyone. It's not hard at all. Word of mouth get's around.. Treat one customer bad and he tells everyone.. Treat them all good and they might tell a person or two..

I am in customer service myself.. I give the guy who drove 500 miles to save a nickel the same exact service I give everyone. It's not hard at all. Word of mouth get's around.. Treat one customer bad and he tells everyone.. Treat them all good and they might tell a person or two..

That's fine to a point but there's a limit. The guys who drive 500 miles to save $100 are the same ones who want everything free and right now. You're never going to make them happy. If you're going to tick someone off, it's not going to be the guy who just spent $80,000 at your place. I don't work in RV sales but it's the same concept in any business. So yeah, be nice, but like Swayze says, until it's time to not be nice. ;)

I give the guy who drove 500 miles to save a nickel the same exact service
Unfortunately I cannot do that - the reality is RVs owners who bought from US get priority - as they would from their selling dealer - and the manufacturers' of the the RV understand this and are on our side when push comes to shove.

The guys who drive 500 miles to save $100 are the same ones who want everything free and right now.
Yes - and these are the same types who don't understand the concept of 'local' dealers - so they drive 500 miles (or much more) to save $500 dollars and then come and complain how 'Camping World' treated them like sheet, didn't give them a proper orientation or whatever - then beech because we don't treat them like they bought from us because we couldn't save them $500.00. Their attitude is we should somehow 'make good' for them because they had to go out of the area to save what we couldn't do for them. It don't work that way - especially when I have 150 local buyers to take care of first.

Sadly you strike me as the kind of guy that wants a gunsmith run shop with very knowledgable staff and prices at, or below web prices. I frequent that type gunshop, less the internet pricing. I pay less than msrp, but more than Bud's. I am okay with this, because I have learned to trust and appreciate the advice and wisdom I glean at this gunshop. I am willing to buy my guns from there, pay a little more, but help keep him in business

My aunt got in good with a local small store that sells fishing tackle at or above most big box places. She would come in chat up a bit with the owner or who ever was on shift and always buy something small. After awhile the owner noticed and remembered her and now she gets damn good prices on any gear she wants.

I work in the hotel bizz and we are trained to treat all new guests as if they haven't stayed with us before just cause some people don't know how staying at a hotel works. So gun store employees might just revert to the "you may be new to firearms" mind set and treat you accordingly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top