JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So iv gotta buddy who was/is wanting an AR, but then started thinking he may want an AK or sks, which I have no experience with. Iv heard AK's will eat any kinda ammo you give it, but thats about it. I love the AR platform, but whats everyones else's opinions??

1826 posts and you need help here with that subject, search this subject,this must have been argued every gun site 50 times and I dont know how many gun shows on TV this year alone

you must be bored

I have an SKS, with the magazine issues or use stock strippers if money isn't that important I would go with an AR. I think it is the most versatile of the 3. SHTF check, varmints check, plinking check, availability of parts, reliability check , Home defense, decent as well check, pizzing off the liberals PRICELESS!!!!!!:s0112:

Brutus out

i have both ....one thing i like about the ar platform is it is fully customizable to what ever shooting you wanna do.but can be pretty finicky.an ak47 can be thrown in mud, driven over ,then still shoot .i am a fan of both:)

An SKS is probably the simplest and most robust of the three. The bayonet is always on the rifle (although that makes it more difficult to open ration cans), plus the permanently attached magazine doesn't dangle low enough to catch on dense undergrowth.

Of the AR and AK, I am torn between the two.

An AR is highly refined and very versatile...and built for a first-world military with the logistic support to back it up.

An AK is less refined and less versatile, but there is a reason for its popularity in the third-world where a maintenance kit usually consists of a cup of used motor oil and an old shoelace.

Keith

Regarding the original question:

Pretty much any country's SKS would be a fine choice. There really are no 'bad' SKSs out there, as long as they haven't been abused. Yugo M59/66s have a gas valve in the gas block that might cause cycling issues if it isn't cleaned properly or in the wrong position, but other than that all are pretty much GTG.

For a first AR or AK, I would eschew any homebuild rifle and spend a little more money for a quality factory build. Quality doesn't necessarily have to be expensive though. A base Colt 6920 is back under $1,100 and the pony always commands a higher resale value. Also, for under $700 the new Yugo OPAP AKs are a very, very good value.

Keith

He should get both.:s0045:
Saiga_1223.JPG
I'm getting/building an AR for my next rifle.:s0114:

Ill chime in.
Though an AK guy.. Id tell him to purchase an SKS and an AR stripped lower.
From there he can build his AR down the road.

That or an AK and a stripped lower. :)
All three are terrific platforms.

who is really better superman, spiderman, or batman. Honestly this is about the most inane, imbecilic, assinine question that keeps getting asked again and again.

The answer is, "Any gun you can hit a target with" there is no magical gun that will make you a sniper, target shooter, or crack shot.

We desperately need a thread on 9mm vs .40 S&W vs .45 ACP

Was just going to say...

Might as well argue 9mm v 45 while we're at it....

Here's the answer - They both have their pros and cons. They're both absolutely battle-proven designs, and anyone who says one is better than the other is either a dimwit or hasn't been around long enough to open his noob-*** pie hole.

Pick the one you want based on the attributes that are most important to you.

Well for everyone who replied kindly I surely do appreciate it! The purpose of this was not to compare the three in which is better it was meant as to which do you PREFER some people prefer one over the other due to design, reliability, ease of availability of ammo mags n parts etc. and so on, I realize its hard for a lot of you to just answer a simple question without being rude, but I apologize I posted something I simply could of researched on line, what in the world was I thinking!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top