JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't forget the mini 14 is the poor man's AR. LOL. Just go with your budget. You can always buy another later,trade, or sell. One thing I didn't notice is no one mentioning that there are certain sks models that take ak mags. Though they are expensive. If it was me. I'd start with cheaper and work my way up. But that's just me. They are all fun. And all have their function. Like he said. Ford,Chevy,amc? They all go boom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If I were forced to buy an AR, it would be piston driven. I will never own an impingement gun again. They jam, take puny little bullets and take about 6 hours, a manual and a Youtube video to disassemble and clean.

Meanwhile, AK's are JUST as accurate(a MAK90 is even more accurate) out to 300 yards and the SKS is even more accurate than the AK. The AK takes a real bullet and even in the case of the AK74, the Russian 7N6 round is FAR more deadly and prone to yaw inside a chest cavity. I can strip any AK in 12-15 seconds and have it cleaned, dried and lubed for another 3,000 rounds in an additional 60 seconds.

If you like TV and movies and are forced to go with an AR, I strongly recommend a Ruger or other piston gun. Of course, with expanding ammo you don't have the horrible effect's of watching 8 of your little, tiny bullets zipping through Haji's chest and Haji still being able to take out a few of your partners and run 3/4 of a mile into the desert where he finally chokes to death on his blood. Not that I'm biased or anything.

If I ever fight again, it will be with a weaon that cannot get hung up by it's own carbon after a few rounds. AK, AK, AK, AK. Unless you're poor, then get yourself an SKS, but none of that removable magazine nonsense. 10 round strippers work very fast and very well.

1. AR-15 (Even the "un-cool kid" brands) seem to shoot fine from what I have seen. Any half whit can tear them down, clean them. Can quickly change LOP for smaller/larger frame users (Battle mentality). Generally much more accurate than the AK

2.SKS. BUT ONLY IN "M" OR "D" series. great and reliable action with proper detachable (AK) magazines, GIANT improvement over the fixed mags with stripper clips and regular SKS aftermarket detachable mags don't even qualify for useable IMO.

3. AK. But decent quality (machined). I personally don't like my rifle to look like the main component was made by hammering a chunk of sheet metal over a 2x4. I have witnessed enough AK problems to consider them plenty reliable to get the job done but not the holy grail of "Always gunsta fire no matterz a whut" blathering we always hear.

4. SKS "regular" But I personally would want a nice original low mile one and a pile of stripper clips. No- kid that should have saved for a AR project type abortions.

My two cents....That's all.

I have an ar ak and fn all mashed into one rifle. Its a Century Golani knock off of the Galil. It has the easy to disassemble ak part and machined reciever and shoots .223. Had some cases stuck in the chamber but a good polishing has fixed it. You can get 30 round tapco mags all day for 15 bucks that are actually way nicer than the steel factory mags. Mine seems to be pretty dang acccurite with just a red dot. they are usually priced between standard ak and ars. Its my favorite thing to shoot. And a really nice looking rifle.
20130109155438.jpg

Would that mean a G3 is sheet metal junk too :rolleyes: ?

Keith

yep, the slightest tweek to the reciever and they don't work. an fal is much more durable. the way in which the bolt carrier rides in the reciever in the HK design requires that the reciever be straight and dent free. A good gun for the range, not so much for the field.

Face it the only reason to build a gun with a sheet metal reciever is because it's cheaper. Any durability is only anecdotal and unexpected.

AK 74

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Them is fightin' words buddy!!!! meet me at starbucks in one hour! lol :p
Well, we know it won't be a shootout now that Starbucks doesn't want open carry.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top