JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I figured I would post this up so everyone could laugh at my stupidity. Lots of experience with AR15's but, it's my first time building an AR10. First off I realized that take down and pivot pins are NOT universal. They may fit and function correctly, but they won't look great. Also didn't know about the hand guard height difference until I ordered 1 that was wrong and the other was right, but the barrel nut was to large and would not allow the gas tube to slip by. Sent back both of those and ordered an Odin Works. Placed the order directly from Odin Works because it said that it was in stock. After 3-4 days I couldn't figure out why it hadn't shipped and of course now it's back ordered. Canceled Odin Works order after wasting a week of my life! Ordered Diamondhead 15" yesterday from Primary Arms for $79 on a 1 day sale!! Saved me $130 on the build! Here is the parts list.
Aero M5 lower/upper set including BGC $260
16" Ballistic Advantage Barrel $169
Alpha Shooting Sports BCG $129
ALG Defense Trigger $49
Lower Parts Kit $42
CMC Trigger Pins $12
Kaw Valley 308 Buffer Kit $60
Kaw Valley Comp $40
Gas Tube $12
SI Upper Parts $28
MFT stock $25 (got from a member here) or Magpul ACS Free (already had it)
Diamondhead VRS T 15" Hand Guard $79
Troy Folding Battle Sights Set $109 (Black Friday Special)
Gas Block $20
Magpul Grip Free (already had)
Total $1,009!!! See, this is the reason I am posting this! So you don't go out and build your own AR10! :eek: If I hadn't already had a few things, plus got the great deal on the hand guard it would have easily been $1200-$1400 and I don't even know if it FUNCTIONS. Plus I forgot to add in a Mag! There is another $15-$20 :eek: I will update when I get the hand guard. I know it will have a lot of nice parts, but is it worth this much? Thanks for reading
FullSizeRender (5).jpg
IMG_1212.JPG

Black or grey? What do you guys think? If I keep grey, I also have a grey grip to add. Keep in mind this is a battle rifle. I don't plan to put anything other than maybe a red dot or something on it.

Didn't see a charging handle in your parts list or picture.
OK, so here are some other surprises you might find:
  • Your Aero M5 - is it the Gen1 (higher profile) or Gen 2 ? Which does the DiamondHead fit? IIRC, it's about 0.031" difference.
  • As soon as you can, mount your barrel to the upper and check the BCG / buffer fit. One manufacturer's buffer tube/spring/weight doesn't necessarily work on another's. My guess, you bought one that said, "DPMS pattern" which I found, doesn't mean shizzle. If it isn't a fit, your bolt will not lock back all the way, and will not strip the next round off the magazine.
  • Found I preferred the MFT to the ACS (had same choice myself) but because of the problem above wound up using an A2 style fixed tube and stock (Luth AR). It's what I could get to work. Weighs maybe 8 oz more, but on a 9lb battle rifle, that 1/2 lb is peanuts.
  • I bought two AR10 "lower parts kits". The bolt release on one wasn't the right size and wouldn't lock the bolt back.
  • Springs and buffer weights are different from different manufacturers. Here's some data I've collected off the 'net and also added to myself:
ArmaLite receiver
• 223 / .308 rifle length 9-11/16" (inside depth)
• 223 carbine length 6-15/16" (inside depth)
• 308 carbine length 7-5/8" (inside depth)

BUFFER TUBES
• Commercial size tube O.D. - 1.165" – 1.167" (don't use this anymore)
• Military (G.I.) size tube O.D. – 1.145" – 1.147" (carbine and rifle)

BUFFER SPRINGS
• 308 buffer spring rifle and carbine length 14-1/8" max - 13-3/4" min
• 223 buffer spring rifle length 13-1/2" max – 11-3/4" min
• 223 buffer spring carbine length 11-1/4" max – 10-1/16" min

BUFFERS
• 223 rifle length 5-7/8" – weight 5.2 oz
• 308 rifle length 5-3/16" – weight 5.4 oz
• 223 carbine length 3-1/4" – weight 3.0 oz
• 308 carbine length 2-1/2" – weight 5.4 oz

CHARGING HANDLES
• 223 - 6-13/16"
• LR308 -
• AR10 - 8"
• DPMS R25 GEN II​

[ETA]
I thought about sights, but have those on my AR15's. Bought a scout scope with long eye relief so I could easily use this out to 500, which was my intention in the first place. Went with a UTG, and in hind sight would use a Leupold. Though the UTG is awesome and balls-on-accurate for $150, it's a full lb heavier than the Leupold, 12oz heavier than a Vortex, and changes the balance of the rifle.

Last Edited:
Didn't see a charging handle in your parts list or picture.
OK, so here are some other surprises you might find:
  • Your Aero M5 - is it the Gen1 (higher profile) or Gen 2 ? Which does the DiamondHead fit? IIRC, it's about 0.031" difference.

And it just keeps getting worse!:mad: I do have a charging handle already. I would assume it's a Gen 2 since it just came from Aero. The daimondhead says 2.06" which is what I have lol, doesn't go into anymore detail. I've noticed that a lot with these thing. Just enough for you to buy it but, doesn't tell you all the other questions you should ask yourself.

It's true. My "ar10" is gonna be expensive (closer to that 2000+ said above), but i can't afford it all at once. Piecing it together over a longer period of time works put. I like my built rifle more than my old factory rifle.

It's like building a computer to me. Cheaper than a high end factory rifle and I get to pick every single price instead of buying something expensive and replacing expensive parts with more expensive parts.

To the op. The thing in noticing with these compared to ar15's, is you want to stick with one manufacturer for the receivers, parts, and handguards if you can. They seem to go together and operate better that way.

Example: I'm going with the aero precision m5 enhanced. I'll buy their receivers, handguard, and parts kit. Then going with a different brand of trigger, and barrel. That way tolerances from different manufacturers dont cause problems

And it just keeps getting worse!:mad: I do have a charging handle already. I would assume it's a Gen 2 since it just came from Aero. The daimondhead says 2.06" which is what I have lol, doesn't go into anymore detail. I've noticed that a lot with these thing. Just enough for you to buy it but, doesn't tell you all the other questions you should ask yourself.
Dear me, the stuff one forgets.
Read this page:
The Difference in 308 Upper Receivers and What We Need to Know

Really the only way for it to not be worth it is if you don't like ARs but building one anyways. Better to build it and buy good parts over time, lets you think more.

Plus imagine how much it would cost to buy one premade... Not a whole lot of options in the budget territory, and everything outside of it? Well, 2 grand is pretty good.:s0001:

Keep with it, you're going to love what you build and have the pride when it's all done.

I built mine over two months and only bought stuff on sale. Total cost in was less than $1,200, including optics and 2x parts kits.
Wilson Combat 18" Match barrel, 7mm-08
Aero M5 Upper/Lower Gen II from another user here.
Bought the M5 Enhanced barrel nut to make it an M5E1, found a surplus 15" M5E1 handguard (right height) at DVOR for $115.
Rise Armament trigger / anti-walk pins
Odin adjustable gas block. (I always balked at these, find I LOVE it_).

Things I didn't have to spend $$ on: tools, A2 buffer tube / fixed stock, though the cost does include an adj stock, rifle bufer kit and MFT stock.

Keep with it, you're going to love what you build and have the pride when it's all done.

I built mine over two months and only bought stuff on sale. Total cost in was less than $1,200, including optics and 2x parts kits.
Wilson Combat 18" Match barrel, 7mm-08
Aero M5 Upper/Lower Gen II from another user here.
Bought the M5 Enhanced barrel nut to make it an M5E1, found a surplus 15" M5E1 handguard (right height) at DVOR for $115.
Rise Armament trigger / anti-walk pins
Odin adjustable gas block. (I always balked at these, find I LOVE it_).

Things I didn't have to spend $$ on: tools, A2 buffer tube / fixed stock, though the cost does include an adj stock, rifle bufer kit and MFT stock.
Ok, I feel better about it. Thank you! I will post an update when I get the hand guard and then when I get out to test fire it.

The hardest part will be the sights. IMHO, Magpul pro sights are decent and not too expensive for back ups (have them on the AUG).

But the optic is the big $$$. Even red dots can be pretty expensive. Plus its .308, so there is potential of a thought in the back of your head pushing you to get something like a prism scope which isn't necessarily cheap either. o_O

The hardest part will be the sights. IMHO, Magpul pro sights are decent and not too expensive for back ups (have them on the AUG).

But the optic is the big $$$. Even red dots can be pretty expensive. Plus its .308, so there is potential of a thought in the back of your head pushing you to get something like a prism scope which isn't necessarily cheap either. o_O

I bought a Burris prism, planned on using it for co-witness. Waste of $$, gave it to my daughter for her birthday.
IMO, in an AR with optics, eye relief is everything.
If co-witness, sights plus Vortex Sparc is awesome and least expensive.
If glass, I much prefer the long eye relief for action rifle.

I bought a Burris prism, planned on using it for co-witness. Waste of $$, gave it to my daughter for her birthday.
IMO, in an AR with optics, eye relief is everything.
If co-witness, sights plus Vortex Sparc is awesome and least expensive.
If glass, I much prefer the long eye relief for action rifle.
There was a 1x option for the Burris? I'm happy with prism scopes, but the only one I have is the TA33 so... Astigmatism may or may not be the cause of my preference. o_O

For fixed low power optics though, there's where the prism scopes are nice. Lighter and take less room than the traditional scope.

There was a 1x option for the Burris? I'm happy with prism scopes, but the only one I have is the TA33 so... Astigmatism may or may not be the cause of my preference. o_O

For fixed low power optics though, there's where the prism scopes are nice. Lighter and take less room than the traditional scope.
Burris has just the 3 and 5x prisms. Their eye relief window is very tight, so very difficult to use effectively when on the move.
OK for a bench, defeats the sporting purpose of the rifle.

I figured I would post this up so everyone could laugh at my stupidity. Lots of experience with AR15's but, it's my first time building an AR10. First off I realized that take down and pivot pins are NOT universal. They may fit and function correctly, but they won't look great. Also didn't know about the hand guard height difference until I ordered 1 that was wrong and the other was right, but the barrel nut was to large and would not allow the gas tube to slip by. Sent back both of those and ordered an Odin Works. Placed the order directly from Odin Works because it said that it was in stock. After 3-4 days I couldn't figure out why it hadn't shipped and of course now it's back ordered. Canceled Odin Works order after wasting a week of my life! Ordered Diamondhead 15" yesterday from Primary Arms for $79 on a 1 day sale!! Saved me $130 on the build! Here is the parts list.
Aero M5 lower/upper set including BGC $260
16" Ballistic Advantage Barrel $169
Alpha Shooting Sports BCG $129
ALG Defense Trigger $49
Lower Parts Kit $42
CMC Trigger Pins $12
Kaw Valley 308 Buffer Kit $60
Kaw Valley Comp $40
Gas Tube $12
SI Upper Parts $28
MFT stock $25 (got from a member here) or Magpul ACS Free (already had it)
Diamondhead VRS T 15" Hand Guard $79
Troy Folding Battle Sights Set $109 (Black Friday Special)
Gas Block $20
Magpul Grip Free (already had)
Total $1,009!!! See, this is the reason I am posting this! So you don't go out and build your own AR10! :eek: If I hadn't already had a few things, plus got the great deal on the hand guard it would have easily been $1200-$1400 and I don't even know if it FUNCTIONS. Plus I forgot to add in a Mag! There is another $15-$20 :eek: I will update when I get the hand guard. I know it will have a lot of nice parts, but is it worth this much? Thanks for reading
View attachment 443916
View attachment 443918

Black or grey? What do you guys think? If I keep grey, I also have a grey grip to add. Keep in mind this is a battle rifle. I don't plan to put anything other than maybe a red dot or something on it.

This is why I haven't built any AR's (15's or 10's) because every time I have considered it the cost was always more to build it than buying it even after paying a transfer and tax. Glad you enjoyed your build though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top