JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I figured I would post this up so everyone could laugh at my stupidity. Lots of experience with AR15's but, it's my first time building an AR10. First off I realized that take down and pivot pins are NOT universal. They may fit and function correctly, but they won't look great. Also didn't know about the hand guard height difference until I ordered 1 that was wrong and the other was right, but the barrel nut was to large and would not allow the gas tube to slip by. Sent back both of those and ordered an Odin Works. Placed the order directly from Odin Works because it said that it was in stock. After 3-4 days I couldn't figure out why it hadn't shipped and of course now it's back ordered. Canceled Odin Works order after wasting a week of my life! Ordered Diamondhead 15" yesterday from Primary Arms for $79 on a 1 day sale!! Saved me $130 on the build! Here is the parts list.
Aero M5 lower/upper set including BGC $260
16" Ballistic Advantage Barrel $169
Alpha Shooting Sports BCG $129
ALG Defense Trigger $49
Lower Parts Kit $42
CMC Trigger Pins $12
Kaw Valley 308 Buffer Kit $60
Kaw Valley Comp $40
Gas Tube $12
SI Upper Parts $28
MFT stock $25 (got from a member here) or Magpul ACS Free (already had it)
Diamondhead VRS T 15" Hand Guard $79
Troy Folding Battle Sights Set $109 (Black Friday Special)
Gas Block $20
Magpul Grip Free (already had)
Total $1,009!!! See, this is the reason I am posting this! So you don't go out and build your own AR10! :eek: If I hadn't already had a few things, plus got the great deal on the hand guard it would have easily been $1200-$1400 and I don't even know if it FUNCTIONS. Plus I forgot to add in a Mag! There is another $15-$20 :eek: I will update when I get the hand guard. I know it will have a lot of nice parts, but is it worth this much? Thanks for reading
View attachment 443916
View attachment 443918

Black or grey? What do you guys think? If I keep grey, I also have a grey grip to add. Keep in mind this is a battle rifle. I don't plan to put anything other than maybe a red dot or something on it.

Awesome thread idea. I was thinking real hard about building one myself, but dang I've been researching it and it might make some sense to buy a functioning rifle by a good manufacture and then just upgrade at a later date. I'm thinking about heading out the door right now to do just that. Dang I hate it when the boss gives me days off. Just makes me want to go out and buy another gun/spend money... Ughhhhh...

And it just keeps getting worse!:mad: I do have a charging handle already. I would assume it's a Gen 2 since it just came from Aero. The daimondhead says 2.06" which is what I have lol, doesn't go into anymore detail. I've noticed that a lot with these thing. Just enough for you to buy it but, doesn't tell you all the other questions you should ask yourself.

Let us live vicariously through all of your mistakes, just keep us informed :p.... I know the AR10 platform is no where near as modular as the AR15.

Meh I say build it, just do your research. I had zero issues with my build. Well aside from not going with the Aero Pivot and TD pins to start even after I was made aware they were the only game in town for the M5E1 builds. Oh and then later deciding to get headspace gauges. Never bothered on AR15 builds.

Build Thread - AR10 Aero Precision M5E1, MEGAMATEN or?

I personally just can't see paying $700+ for an AR10 LR308 from whomever and then basically junking everything except the receivers and a handful of parts.

i bought my dpms recon from a buddy for $1000 and then put a scope, sling and bipod on it. im in it $1350.

oh yeah... if you count the suppressor then $2650. LOL

I built mine because of a simple reason: try to find an AR10 in 7mm-08. Everyone is ga-ga over the calibre du jour, 6.5CM, which is ballistically similar to my preference.
I already shoot 7-08, have 2K+ brass pieces between 7-08 and 308, and thousands of 7mm projectiles -- so that's an easy reload to keep going.
At the same time, I built a rifle that has ALL the features I want at (by what I see) a cost that is about $400 - $500 less than what I would spend to buy one already built.
PLUS, I have the upgrades of a sweet trigger, adjustable gas block and RIFLE length gas system. WIN-WIN. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top