JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What about the VZ-58. It's my favorite AK styled rifle, now that I've replaced the folding stock with a fixed shoulder stock.
The shorter gas piston helps accuracy, way better safety switch and the lighter weight milled steel receiver and aluminum mags helps keep the weight down.

View attachment 242332
the superior X39.....very nice.
not enough of these on tv or in video games for people to even care or know the nuances of this rifle....CZ took an AK and made it better, just like they did when they took the HiPower and made it better in the 75

the superior X39.....very nice.
not enough of these on tv or in video games for people to even care or know the nuances of this rifle....CZ took an AK and made it better, just like they did when they took the HiPower and made it better in the 75
Better? Don't know about that. The Hi-Power was used by like 80 or 180 (don't know) countries at the same time.. in modern times. The French Model 1935(A) and then the Sig P210 coat tailed after the P-35.. contributing to the CZ as we find it today.
There's like 10,000x more P-35's on the planet than any carried-by-military CZ pistol then and now.

Afghanistan was the first theater of operations in which the typical engagement range exceeded 200 yards - I think they say it's 300. You can see why, given the terrain. In other words, 600 yard performance isn't likely to be tactically useful - not in Western Oregon, anyway.

The reason I don't like multicaliber weapons is because only one cal can be used at a time. It's not much more of an expense to have both, or all three calibers, in different guns that can all be brought to bear simultaneously.

Personally, I'm not enthusiastic about the behavior of a 60 grain slug at 600 yards, except for punching paper. I'll choose my antique 30-06 bolt gun with good glass out beyond a quarter mile. At shorter ranges you can take your pick, but you know that .30 cal turns cover into concealment - not so the .223.

Here's a guy plinking with irons on his AK at a quarter mile:
So don't tell me 7.62X39 is a "200 yard round."

Better? Don't know about that. The Hi-Power was used by like 80 or 180 (don't know) countries at the same time.. in modern times. The French Model 1935(A) and then the Sig P210 coat tailed after the P-35.. contributing to the CZ as we find it today.
There's like 10,000x more P-35's on the planet than any carried-by-military CZ pistol then and now.

Nerd o_O:rolleyes::D

Can't argue with that, the 75 is quite the mutt

Depends on the environment you are using it in. If you have a clean environment where your AR can be maintained well, it is probably the way to go. If you are in a SHTF situation where dirt, grime and muck are the norm, the AK is the way to go. Carried an M16 in Vietnam. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I'll take an AK.

Afghanistan was the first theater of operations in which the typical engagement range exceeded 200 yards - I think they say it's 300. You can see why, given the terrain. In other words, 600 yard performance isn't likely to be tactically useful - not in Western Oregon, anyway.

The reason I don't like multicaliber weapons is because only one cal can be used at a time. It's not much more of an expense to have both, or all three calibers, in different guns that can all be brought to bear simultaneously.

Personally, I'm not enthusiastic about the behavior of a 60 grain slug at 600 yards, except for punching paper. I'll choose my antique 30-06 bolt gun with good glass out beyond a quarter mile. At shorter ranges you can take your pick, but you know that .30 cal turns cover into concealment - not so the .223.

Here's a guy plinking with irons on his AK at a quarter mile:
So don't tell me 7.62X39 is a "200 yard round."

Look at the shooters rear sight, does it look like it was raised for a 1/4 mile shot?

Look at the shooters rear sight, does it look like it was raised for a 1/4 mile shot?
I really should know better than to feed the trolls, BUT...

Here ya go, Jim - the left one's set at zero and on the right to 400 meters, approximating the angle of the video. I can barely discern the difference, but yes, the guy's rifle looks more like mine set to a quarter-mile range.

But I don't expect that mere data will overcome strongly held belief!

4116-4117c.jpg

there is a 600 yard range in the Rogue Valley....Tuesdays and Thursdays if anyone from the south wants to put down the keyboard , pick up a rifle and put this distance accuracy debate to bed.
Be fun no matter how it turns out, but I know how it will turn out
Its a slow fire event and its 99% bench shooters but they happily move a bench for folks wanting to prone out

Neither weapons system was designed to be used beyond 250 yards. They are intended to be part of a combined arms system that includes crew served platforms as well as air support.
I can see that both systems will reach the century mark before this jaw jacking ceases

Well that would explain why the sights graduate 300 to 600 meters .....Or why the 300 meter no wind zero is standard doctrine . It might serve a 250 yard role among a variety of other weapons but the design allows a much greater effective range

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top