JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a near 10 year old FAST Find Personal Locator Beacon with GPS needing its' battery to be replaced for about $170.00 while a new FAST Find is about $225. This one only provides a beacon and gps coordinates. It may be 10 or more years old in design. Any recommendations for a better beacon signal unit or Satellite messenger system? Garmin has a Satellite messenger but reports are conflicted on the unit. Monthly or annual fees can be an issue if the unit lays to rest most of the year. Any ideas?

It really depends on the features that are important to you. I carried a SPOT for many years, but the subscription was expensive and it was really only there for emergencies. I didn't use any convenience features like tracking or posting tracks.

A year ago I switched to the Garmin Inreach Mini. The device is expensive, but the subscription options and features are better. Feature-wise, the best is that you can send and receive text messages. I use the plan that allows me to suspend it during months when I don't need it. It's worth a look.

It really depends on the features that are important to you. I carried a SPOT for many years, but the subscription was expensive and it was really only there for emergencies. I didn't use any convenience features like tracking or posting tracks.

A year ago I switched to the Garmin Inreach Mini. The device is expensive, but the subscription options and features are better. Feature-wise, the best is that you can send and receive text messages. I use the plan that allows me to suspend it during months when I don't need it. It's worth a look.

Thanks, when you activate it, what are the monthly or seasonal charges?

I am NOT an expert in these matters, but unless you risk being buried in an avalanche or something, you can always rent a satellite phone. All you need is a good view of 16 degrees of sky to use them I have heard. Another option might be to search out what people use when they take those sponsored treks to Mount Everest and the like.

On a side note, for general camping where a smartphone won't 'do it' for you as far as getting on the internet...if you have cell signal and a good data plan, you can 'tether' (Google it for details) your smartphone to a laptop and get on the internet that way. I think you have to have Android. Speed is pretty slow, and you better have unlimited or a lot of data for this. Online gaming is generally out, but you can do almost anything else.

There's always a ham radio Handheld Tranciever as well.

Yeah. Those will work as long as you are within range of those relays or whatever they call them. Setup for everything on those usually a hundred bucks or so. Get the longer antenna if you go that route, not the stock antenna. Better than a CB or a walkie talkie anyway.

Thanks, when you activate it, what are the monthly or seasonal charges?

Here's a link to the Garmin InReach subscriptions. There are three and each can be purchased for an annual fee or on a month-to-month basis (called the "Freedom" option). The Freedom plans also have a $25 annual flat fee. When on a Freedom plan, it charges you each month unless you turn it off (suspend it). Once suspended, it stays suspended until you turn it back on. Again, you'd have to decide based on your own usage and features of interest how much the whole package would cost.

One additional benefit I see from being able to use satellite texting is that I now use the device for more than simply back-country trips. If I'm driving in remote places without cell signal and have car trouble, I can always get a message out with one of these, which I like.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews