JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am mounting scopes on a couple ARs.
I bought several mounts and am looking at them and thinking some may be better than the other. However, I am basing that on my observations and thoughts and nothing else.

Burris P.E.P.R.
Vortex
SWFA S.S.A.L.T.

Seems like the Burris and the SWFA are clones, with the SWFA being a bit longer.

What stuck out to me is that the Vortex only has one rail engagement point while the others have two. I may be wrong, but wouldn't this keep the scope more stable?
Also, Vortex has 4 screws on the rings and the others have 6. Seems another plus to keeping the scope secure.

Any practical experience from someone with these or others? I have the RRA cantilever coming on Monday.

Thanks

Like most things just get a decent quality set. My friend just wasted a day and a lot of ammo trying to zero a decent scope on some cheap ebay mounts.

A decent set of rings don't have to cost a lot but should at least have brand recognition.

The burris 1 pc is Pretty darn good for the price but are heavy. I am not overly found of their quick disconnect system as I am spoiled by the ARMS system.

Another one to consider is the Aero Precision but they don't have quick discos but are very lightweight, I have read complaints where non mechanical type of guys have had problems installing they because they are a different design but I had not problems at all.

If the manufacture mill out the ring areas at the same time they should have perfect alignment so no lapping is required and you have a better grip on your scope which is good something to look into before buying.

Regarding less screws . you would think having more screws would make it more stable. In my opionion it would however if BOTH the mount and the base that its being mounted to are in spec it should would depends on the quality of machining but it also looks like short cutting the labor it takes to make the extra holes for extra screws in order to reduce production cost. How ever they may have discovered that all the extra attaching points is just over kill. I would look into the reviews . I have a PA mount like with a single screw its really short probably designed like that to have a BUIS behind it .I put it on a grendel upper I have and put 40 rds through it and it held up fine. Do i feel I get a more secure grip on the base with another screw yes I do but Should I take it out again and see the bullets hitting in the same place I don't think I would worry about it.

the extra screws on the top of the BURRiS and SALT I think they put them there because you can get the optional mounting rings so they need the extra legth. Many high end Hight quality scope ring companies just one screw on each side. Not sure why they felt the need to go 6 screw on each ring seems pretty crazy and unnessary to me but its a lot of contact space on the scope maybe its to give the illusion that its a better mount by overkilling it.

Mounts and rings seem so simple in design how can one buy a set of rings for $12 and then see some for over $100. There is a lot precision work that goes into higher end brands making sure the holes line up perfectly maching tight tolerences ect. and somethings some manufactures just tack on some extra $$ because their name is on it. I recently saw a company known for making some of the best triggers on the market stick his name on a set of scope mounts and retail them out for around $350-550 that disgusted me as how can he who produce a better mount than companies that have perfected scope mounts and thats all they do and claim his is worth that much more.

As noted never go too cheap with unknown brands that do not care about reputation or back their product with a warranty There are many tricks out there to make a quality let budget scope mount hold up and work better than good enough for the average shooter like loc tightening the screws . lapping the rings or at least checking to see if its needed. I have my own lapping and alignment tools to check all my optics and rings.

Using that set i recently discovered my uncles weatherby receiver was out of spec where weatherby machined the rear of the receiver behind the bolt too low and it was so far off that it requires shimming. His scope was not holding zero and that was all that it was.

The thing about the 3 mounts you have is go find and read the review, The burris has some very high reviews I have had a couple sets and was very happy with them I posted them for sale because they are heavy and I don't like unessary weight so I went with the AP mounts but just looking at then the burris looks by far more rugged and durable and solid.

Last Edited:
I've tried many...Eldbillbo nailed it with Aero Precision. Super light yet stong. I use the one piece and pick the front offset depending on what you need for your optic. I think they are also the cleanest looking mounts on the market and very reasonable...I think I paid $70 on sale. Good luck.

LaRue mounts are second to none and have many different configurations depending on your application and scope diameter. You can save a bit of money if you choose not to have the throw levers but still want a removable scope with return to zero if you place the scope back on the tail in the same location.

Thanks for the replies.

I am not looking to go cheap.
But then I am not looking to spend hundreds on a mount!!
There has to be a middle ground.

I looked at the Aero Precision, as I have their rifles. I thought I had read issues with the upper mounting was failing. Since there are only screws on the bottom, the "clamp" is a weak point and can break or not be as secure as with screws.

Did they happen to mention why they are breaking? from regular usage or from being dropped?

I don't think you have to worry much about a burris p.e.p.r breaking as they are build like a tank

I looked at the Aero Precision, as I have their rifles. I thought I had read issues with the upper mounting was failing. Since there are only screws on the bottom, the "clamp" is a weak point and can break or not be as secure as with screws.

Are you sure that you were not dreaming? Sometimes I have vague and cloudy thoughts, but they just turn out to have been dreams that I had.

You can Google "Aero Precision Scope Mount review" and find countless links to reviews and forum discussions from users about them. I've never heard anything at all like what you think that you might have read.

Nightforce also makes some nice lightweight mounts too. But they are a bit expensive, and retail from $255 to $290.

Being kind of a frugal SOB and never having drunk the taticool cool-aid of the designer label mounts, I found rings that have served me very well for years now. I'm sure all the previously mentioned options are fine solid products but the cost of most is just plain crazy IMHO. To me, they also seem way too heavy and overbuilt for the low recoil impulse of an AR. Personally, I don't need quick detach, so simple Leupold Rifleman Weaver mount Rifleman rings have never failed on any one of my rifles going back a good 10 years at least. I had used a similar generic product several years before Leupold introduced the 1" Rifleman line and a 30mm version can be had from Midway under the IronSighter brand. Perfect eye height for an AR, light weight, dirt cheap at under $30, adequately strong for the job and I like that I'm not locked into a fixed ring spacing as on the one piece variety. They have served me well. Spend 3X, 5X or 10X more if you like but I don't see the need to be changing anytime soon. ;)

Ironsighter 30mm See-Thru Weaver-Style Rings

My nephew Bought the burris PEPR based on my recomendation for his LR308 its a bolt model not QD and he has somewhere around 500 rds on of .308 on his probably more. he has only taken out to zero with me twice because its the customary thing to do before hunting season because switching from FMJ to SP and his is always dead on. Basically he just goes to make sure its still ware it needs to be for what ever new box of ammo he gets for hunting season because I rarely ever see him make any ajustments.

Last Edited:
Did they happen to mention why they are breaking? from regular usage or from being dropped?

I don't think you have to worry much about a burris p.e.p.r breaking as they are build like a tank

I was the Aero Precision mount that I was referring to. This may just be one incident versus the multiple positive/non-issue users, but it was something I thought about before seeing this video.

I was the Aero Precision mount that I was referring to. This may just be one incident versus the multiple positive/non-issue users, but it was something I thought about before seeing this video.
With the Aeros' as you torque down the scope it rotates just a bit. It's really hit and miss till you get the thing lined up. A real pain in the a$$.

Well thats good to know I will keep a close eye on mine . I have mine on a 6.8spc with 60rds on it and its was used to covered a lot of ground during deer season in western oregon coast range (mostly just elk scouting so a lot of in and out of the truck with it to glass and (glassing with Binos but aways have rifle just in case i see something) 10 miles of hiking and plowing down on hillside of sticker bushes and downed trees and brush. I took one shot with during that time and it was still on.

I bought it second hand so its been used before.

I haven't shot it since but I will take it out some time soon to check the zero and follow up.

I didn't have any problems installing it though. With any scope you have to get the rings snug then adjust then tighten it was no different.

I have seen high end mounts fail as well. And I will say because it is so Lightweight it does seem fragile. And perhaps if someone is expectiong their rifle to take a beating a Burris or higher end mount would be a better route to go.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR