JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Such charts have existed in one form or another for decades. They are a good "ballpark" estimation, and in most cases will recommend a ring that will "fit".

Now define "fit":

Does that ring height allow for bolt operational clearance?

Does that ring height allow the scope to sit as low as absolutely possible over the barrel (and closest to the bore)?

(Or, inversely, does that ring height deliver the eyepiece automatically to the eye for a shooter with more flesh on his face?)

Does that ring height allow for clearance over the rear sight if such is retained?

The point here is, the chart can get you close and most likely deliver something that will "work".

Scope ring height properly and ideally done for a specific rifle, a specific scope and a specific shooter almost always requires hands-on trial and error to get it like it should be.

Getting a scope to merely "fit" on the gun is less than half the job.

Last Edited:
Such charts have existed in one form or another for decades. They are a good "ballpark" estimation, and in most cases will recommend a ring that will "fit".

Now define "fit":

Does that ring height allow for bolt operational clearance?

Does that ring height allow the scope to sit as low as absolutely possible over the barrel (and closest to the bore)?

(Or, inversely, does that ring height deliver the eyepiece automatically to the eye for a shooter with more flesh on his face?)

Does that ring height allow for clearance over the rear sight if such is retained?

The point here is, the chart can get you close and most likely deliver something that will "work".

Scope ring height properly and ideally done for a specific rifle, a specific scope and a specific shooter almost always requires hands-on trial and error to get it like it should be.

Getting a scope to merely "fit" on the gun is less than half the job.
You are absolutely correct. There are other variables to consider with certain rifles. This calculator will work with most rifles designed from the factory to have a scope mounted on it. So it is a good starting point. I recently mounted a scope on a friend's Winchester Wildcat and went with our high QD Maxima rings to keep rear sight. If not for the rear sight, we could have gone with lows, but we decided to keep the rear sight as a backup and go with the QD highs. Using the highs requires a cheek riser to get a proper cheek weld, so there was that trade-off, removing the rear sight and going with low rings to get the perfect cheek weld with the scope low to the bore, or leaving the rear sight and go with QD highs so that the rifle will still have the open sights as a backup. In this case, the ring choice was based on personal preference.

At the range with a Winchester Wildcat 22LR.png

Last Edited:
I like how the ring heights are listed on one page, but for me, how to use those dimensions is the key. Objective diameter and OD at the objective lens varies, especially when you add in caps. "Low, Medium and High" has always been arbitrary and varies between ring model and manufacturer, this saves having to click on each possible ring for a particular application to see the actual heights. Putting the info in the "Blog" section will get lost to many of your site visitors, maybe add a "Tech Reference" in the menu header for this type of info. It would also be nice to see single page dimensions for your MSR mounts, including ring spacing and offset/cantilever.

What I found useful about the Warne tool, is that it gave me a minimum height allowance, which just happened to be about .010 higher than their "low" rings would allow for. This tells me that I will probably have to use "medium" rings on this setup even though I prefer low. Good bit of data and only took a few seconds to get

If I could just stay on the page without inadvertently clicking on all the flyouts, and pop ups that take over the whole screen I couldn't even see my results.
Can't use it.

Edit, after reopened the browser tab seemed to work. The part finder tab still covers the selection pull-down.

I'm used to iron sights and do decently. Scope part is pretty new for myself, and I hope this will get me better. Perhaps right tool for the job, better then not having the right tool for the job. If the worse is having a tool not useable in a job, that's fine, it can be used somewhere else. No such thing as too many guns, too much ammo, or too many tools.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top