JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use a Team Warne I got from Curt's in Milwaukie. I've put almost 800 rds through the AR with this mount on it and have had no problems whatsoever. I liked it enough to get another one to put on the M&P 15-22.

Ruger%20SR556%2007_zpsqqsizlqq.jpg

M15-22%2003_zps0zur9llj.jpg

I was the Aero Precision mount that I was referring to. This may just be one incident versus the multiple positive/non-issue users, but it was something I thought about before seeing this video.

This goes back to the issue of people so easily believing anything that that they see posted on the Internet.

I find that video to be most unconvincing. He really gives no exact description of the supposed failure. What does he mean when he says that it broke? It does not look "broken" to me. The screw threads in the ring and the screws themselves do look totally stripped, and show extremely abnormal wear on them. But I cannot imagine that such damage like that could ever be caused by recoil, as he claimed. It looks more like abuse/misuse on his part, to me.

It is a very unprofessional video that only momentarily glances at the rings. And even then, the rings are out of focus and not clearly seen. And the fact that he makes no mention at all of contacting Aero Precision about the problem, either seeing what they had to say about it, or even whether they would cover it under warranty, makes it look like this fellow has a hidden agenda to make Aero Precision look bad.

No, I have to call that video bogus. I do not find it to be credible or convincing in nature.

As I mentioned earlier, one can find countless discussions on other forums, and in product feedback on numerous web stores, from satisfied users of the Aero Precision mounts.

If a person finds one case of someone trashing a product, in contrast to overwhelming positive feedback on that same product, then one really does need to question the complaining person, and take a closer look at their claims.

I never had any problems with breakage or slippage with my Aero mount. When I first got it, the light weight worried me about the durability, but thousands of rounds later, its still going strong. The only issue I have with it is that the top rings are only secured on one side, so when you tighten it, the scope turns. It takes a few tries to get it right.

You know what, I just checked the manual for my Aero Mounts. On page 4, the instructions have a big warning in BOLD TEXT at the very top of the page:

CAUTION: DO NOT TORQUE THE SCREWS ABOVE 25 IN-LBS. DOING SO MAY RESULT IN STRIPPING OF SCREW HOLE.

That is EXACTLY the problem that I saw on those mounts in the video. If you look closely, the screw holes have most definitely been stripped. That kind of damage cannot be done by shooting a gun. It was done by the owner when he did the install.

The fellow in that video obviously did not read the install instructions. It is thus clear to me that he abused and misused the mount, and is responsible himself for the damage that took place.

So he has only himself to blame. And that is no doubt why he did not contact Aero Precision support before making that video. They would have confirmed that this was a case of gross user error on his part.

+1 on the Burris PEPR. I've had mine on my LR308 for years. A dab of blue Loctite and the correct amount of torque from my FAT wrench and it's grunt proof all day long.

I have the same Warne/strike eagle combo shown above and am happy with it. I have Warne rings on a couple bolt guns and am happy with them as well.

You know what, I just checked the manual for my Aero Mounts. On page 4, the instructions have a big warning in BOLD TEXT at the very top of the page:

CAUTION: DO NOT TORQUE THE SCREWS ABOVE 25 IN-LBS. DOING SO MAY RESULT IN STRIPPING OF SCREW HOLE.

That is EXACTLY the problem that I saw on those mounts in the video. If you look closely, the screw holes have most definitely been stripped. That kind of damage cannot be done by shooting a gun. It was done by the owner when he did the install.

The fellow in that video obviously did not read the install instructions. It is thus clear to me that he abused and misused the mount, and is responsible himself for the damage that took place.

So he has only himself to blame. And that is no doubt why he did not contact Aero Precision support before making that video. They would have confirmed that this was a case of gross user error on his part.

The guy kind of jumped to conclusions on the video but it is good to shed some light on the torque specs as the average shooter / hunter even sporting goods store that mounts scopes carries as torque screwdriver. Aero provides a really nice allen wrench with the mount that make it really easy to over tighten. With the traditional designed scope rings its usually not a concern except some people will over tighten and get ring marks on misaligned rings but the thicker rings wont break.

The video does shed some light on this issue but he should have made the video noting what he did to cause this so that others would not make the same error. I think thanks to AP response that it is quite informative.

Last Edited:
The guy kind of jumped to conclusions on the video but it is good to shed some light on the torque specs as the average shooter / hunter even sporting goods store that mounts scopes carries as torque screwdriver. Aero provides a really nice allen wrench with the mount that make it really easy to over tighten. With the traditional designed scope rings its usually not a concern except some people will over tighten and get ring marks on misaligned rings but the thicker rings wont break.

The video does shed some light on this issue but he should have made the video noting what he did to cause this so that others would not make the same error. I think thanks to AP response that it is quite informative.
This is one reason why the mount/rings in a single unit is advantageous as some manufactures can produce these units with a high degree of co-axial alignment of the rings (like DNZ scope mounts which come properly aligned and need no or very little lapping, reducing the potential for damage to the scope when applying the correct amount of torque) or are more easily lapped by the installer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top