JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
a lot of people hunt with a 300 blackout. You only need a 10" barrel to get max velocity. Accurate within 200 yards as well. Strap it to a backpack and forget about it. If you have a 223 pistol lower, you're already half way there too.

Might not be as potent against a bear as an actual 308 though.

My AR inexperienced and worthless opine;
I have never been excited about anything not made of trees and blued steel.
Handled many but I've only shot a few lower quality / priced AR's, however if you don't mind selling your car, this Christian Arms carbon fiber mix in 6.5 Creedmoor rather moved me just from handling it. If I ever intend going that direction, at the moment, I feel this would be worth a closer examination.
upload_2018-10-25_10-33-59.png

6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC would fit your needs just fine. I built a 20" 6.8 this summer. I used Aero Precision's M4e1 lower, and their new ATLAS handguard. ARP barrel, CMC 3.5# trigger, MagPul furniture. Light weight and points just right. I use the PRI magazines, never had an issue with them unlike ASC magazines. Factory loaded 110gr Nosler Accubonds print within an inch at 100 yards for 3 shots.

I'm out of town right now on business, but when I get back I will post a picture for you.

I built it specifically as a 300 yard light to medium game rifle. Black tails,, white tails, coyotes, and wild pig. All for about $800.

Federal makes a Gold Dot in 90gr. They also load the 6.8 with their Fusion bullet in both 90gr and 115 grain. Another decent factory load is from Hornady, the 120gr SST, and the "Full Boar" 100gr GMX (lead free).

Check out the speed of that Gold Dot, and that is from a 16" barrel.

See this video below.

Watch "6.8 SPC Gel Test (XM68GD & Fusion)" on YouTube

Last Edited:
I know the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC II are practically identical in performance for most hunting purposes, but I went with 6.5 Grendel for two reasons.

First, the ballistic coefficient tends to be a bit better for the 6.5mm bullets, which will help for long range target shooting.

Second, the availability of cheap Wolf ammo for plinking was a major factor for me.

I haven't looked heavily into what's available for the 6.8, but there are plenty of good hunting bullets available for the 6.5 Grendel. The Hornady SST performs beautifully, and the Accubond Long Range is designed to expand down to 1,300 fps! Here's the SST out of a 12" barrel:

I'm not saying the 6.8 SPC II is an inferior cartridge at all, just giving my reasons for choosing the 6.5 over the 6.8. Either one is an excellent choice for a hunting cartridge!

Here's a photo of my 12.5" & 18" Grendels:

IMG_20180709_194615.jpg

I put a $109.00 ($98 off due to a cosmetic scratch which the rings covered) Vortex that i bought at fisherman's, on a 6.5 Grendal PSA complete upper with 20 inch barell, that I bought on a weekend special for $319.00. My youngest daughter had asked me hunt deer with her this year in the Carson Wa area, fairly woodsy with some clear cuts. (25- 100 yards being typical shot distances) So I jumped at the chance to spend some quality time with my youngest, but being on a bit of a budget I used the lower from one of my existing guns, a Sig M-400 which fit nicely. I finished the Frankenstein build with a RA 140 drop in trigger and a 5 round Grendal mag purchased from Eric at Limitless America in Washougal.
I was backing her up on a 75 ish yd shot, and as the deer walked out of her view she said "I can't see him Dad, take it" Being as I'm so familiar with my AR, I raised and squeezed the shot almost simultaneously. The 120gr Fusion soft point did it's job and the deer collapsed in its tracks. The time from low ready to dropped animal being all of about 2.5 seconds. I am a strong believer now in the 6.5 Grendal for deer, plus my teenage daughter and her friends think I'm Rambo:s0003:

Meet Hansel and Grendal aha!
20180827_160745.jpg

For hunting deer the 6.8spcii and the 6.5 grendel are virtually interchangeable, as neither one has enough energy beyond 300-350 yds or so to ethically harvest big game. For a multi purpose caliber for hunting big game and longer range paper punching/varmint hunting, the better bc's of the 6.5 bullets give the grendel a tangible advantage.

If the 6.5 Grendel is something you are clamoring for, there is a online shop in AZ that has a 20", a 18", and a 16" complete upper group...as in w/ BCG made by Aero Precision for under $500. Scope it, put it on a lower, and you are GTG.

OP.....send me a message if you want the link. I do not know if it is propper to hot-link a vendor here on this forum

Don't really see assembled 6.8 uppers like you used to. It's easier to get the components and assemble at home or leave it at a shop for a couple weeks (on average).

Last Edited:
I'm an old guy and never liked the AR platform. Never had one as they just didn't look like a rifle I would hunt with. I was commenting to my son in law about not enjoying carrying my 300 Win Mag or even my 270 any more. Recoil and weight starting to get to me. My son in law showed me an article about a light weight hunting rifle on an AR platform and 6.5 Grendel. It was interesting. I did some research and liked what i was reading. All about how Bill Alexander developed the round and how accurate it is. I settled and had one built. Turned out more expensive than I planned on as most projects are after I get going on them. The finished rifle feels a little weird as I had never had anything other than a traditional style rifle. I went to the range and upon the first shot decided it was a great rifle. 20 rounds later I was really enjoying shooting again! Recoil just a little more than my .223 Mini14. Way more accurate than I am. I am able to shoot 2" groups with just an elbow rest. I am sure it I could shoot from a real rest I could shoot 1" or less groups. I haven't harvested a deer yet with it. My hunting skills aren't as good as they used to be. I'm sure it will be just fine out to my self imposed range limit of 300 yards. My new favorite deer rifle!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top