JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
5 out of 6 I have built and helped build in 6.8 have shot 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100yrds with S&B 110 PTS(bonded bullet) factory ammo...
NOT a varmit bullet NOT Hornady bullet.
I would shoot a Muley out to 300yrds with great confidence.
ARP ;16" and two were 18" Barrels.

I have not taken it hunting, nor have I planned to, but I think the S&W M&P10 might be an option.

I think they have 6.5CM but I opted for 308 because more cheaper and I am not trying to shoot at 600 yards.

18" barrel but she is light weight for sure. Less recoil than my PTR91 as well. Accurate enough for killing durrs at 200yds no problem.

Anything has to recoil less than a PTR .308 :D I love me some HK91 style guns, but they're not for the recoil averse. A lifetime ago on preban.com, one of our mods dropped in a registered auto sear in his, and video'd the fun. Rattled the glasses on his face apart :D I love how they shoot though. An AR10 in .308 is still a contender, esp the S&W flavor.

Why not a 224 Valkyrie?
3D6532D7-B58A-4008-99F5-3FF95A1D18A7.jpeg

60-90grains of 224 from a necked down 6.8SPC... still Supersonic after 1300 yards! I think I saw a top notch complete upper for sale in the classifieds... It has a 20" barrel too. I hear it's a friggin tack driver!
Just be careful...the guy selling it is a little :s0125:.
:D

After getting a taste, and if I continue going with the same partner to learn the ropes, I do not anticipate making a shot beyond 200 yards, with most being within 100 if we hunt the areas he's familiar with.

Thoughts?
although you only like 16" ok, a light weight 16" 308 would be awesome for you . I built one that is just hits 8 lbs, hard to get 308's light but if you do , and keep them shorter than 20" they are a jack of all trades in the woods .........long east side shots I would do a 20" Creedmoore ..........look at the 223 Valkyrie for a small frame AR, should meet your specifications in a small frame .

I would go with a 6.8spcII. That is the "standard" chamber now. I don't know of anyone making the original chamber. There are multiple 6.5 grendel chambers also that you would need to pay attention to also. The bolts can be a weak spot in the Grendel, something to consider. If you hand load there are lots of options for you, if staying with factory I would go 6.8spc. AR15performance.com makes great barrels for multiple calibers for the AR platform and prices are good. Its a good starting point for some basic info.

This right here, if staying with a AR-15.

or .458 SOCOM for a big bore

Last Edited:
Ar10 platforms tend to be heavier than I like to pack, although throw enough money at it and a lighter version can be fielded. For what you describe the 6.8spc II in a ar15 platform would be a great match.

I would say it may depend on the area you're hunting and how accurate you are. In the last 7 years I have taken 5 does and one mulie buck with my 5.56 M4gery with 1-3× Weaver.
I was really selective with my shots (anything over 100 yds I worked closer) and used decent ammo (federal fusion MSR 62gr). At that range the lungs were shredded and all but one shot was a through and through. The last broke both front legs and lodged under the skin on the off side. Nearly no meat lost and dropped them faster than the .270 or .30-30 at the same ranges. I wouldn't trust it much past 100 for quick kills.

The Browning BAR is an amazing rifle. If your wanting a semi auto hunting rifle I don't think you will beat it.

I would go with a standard round, and if I had to choose between .223 and a .308 I would go with the better all around hunting round in .308.

I would be wary of two things. I built an AR10 in .308 for hunting and my take was this:
1. It's heavy. I went with a 16" barrel, and after the scope and all it's like 12-13lbs
2. In the PNW raining environment I had to completely disassemble it when I got home to dry it out. Not a huge deal but was a pain

Thanks for suggestions, I think in the end I am going to wind up with an M&P 10 or a DPMS G2 in .308. 6.5 Creedmore if I find one inexpensive enough. May do 16 inch barrel, but probably an 18 for a longer fore end. May see about swapping factory barrel for a fluted barrel if I find an affordable one thats lighter in weight.

.308 will take a bear, which is a tertiary desire. Its available everywhere. So those are big plusses.

I know some are really fans of other guns, but I am kind of set in my ways and have my reasons for the AR over guns like the BAR, or a bolt gun.

I have been seriously Looking at that New light weight AR-10 that uses -15 size parts and weighs less, specifically in one of the .45 bore's that gets me close to .45/70 performance! Man, that would be a serious brush buster and back up for Great Big Grizzlies I always seem to run into!
Other then that, the BAR is such an amazing rifle, especially in a .270 or .30/06, but in a .308 should be equally awesome!

I have been seriously Looking at that New light weight AR-10 that uses -15 size parts and weighs less, specifically in one of the .45 bore's that gets me close to .45/70 performance! Man, that would be a serious brush buster and back up for Great Big Grizzlies I always seem to run into!
Other then that, the BAR is such an amazing rifle, especially in a .270 or .30/06, but in a .308 should be equally awesome!

Very interesting.
Care to expound on the finer details of these new hybrid lightweight AR-10's for those of us who are clueless?

Yeah the DPMS / REMMY G2 is a cool gun. Ar15 components behind the magwell. Its like an AR15 with a stretched magwell and ejection port. They get good reviews by users.

You guys have better eyes than me - 3X would be bottom end for me, but I found myself using 6X most while out last time, it was a decent compromise between magnification and field of view.

In the brush the lower magnification such as 2X can come in handy when you are facing game at 25 feet +-. Consider it, I hunted and was very successful in my prime and have taken black bear within that distance. So wile walking in the brush keep the Magnification down or you may be looking at a blur instead of your game.

Shot placement is what makes a good kill and the only substitute for a slight error in bullet placement is Kinetic Energy so the hardest hitting pill is with the largest Meplat when shooting custom cast bullets or factory bullets with highest coefficient and sectional density. Faster and Bigger is better in most cases.

The best evidence I have is shooting a bear in mid flight through the rear jaw bone and in his back teeth with a 250 grain pill at 25 feet or so, when he decided to drop out of the tree on top of me and the dogs. Hydrostatic shock must have gotten to his brain or spinal cord due to the mass of the impact. Larger faster is better.

Best in trajectory in flight is always, faster is better.
Please let us know what cartridge you have chosen, sporting rifles only provide five shots and I love an AR but have never lost game due to using a bolt action rifle. Animals run all over the place and they are fast so take the time and make a good clean shot rather than shooting at a ghost.

Best of luck
Silver Hand

I'm not concerned with capacity & fire rate, I just don't love the way bolt guns typically feel or handle. Thousands of rounds down range in AR style rifles gives them a natural feel and handling for me. The pistol grip, adjustable stock, adjustable optics position all also make them a better fit for me. I could duplicate the feel and handling of an AR in a bolt gun, for the price of an AR on top of a bolt gun. So I think my best tool for a clean kill is going to be the rifle I feel most at home with, as opposed to one that gets handled and shot infrequently.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top