JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Don't want to hijack the other AR thread soo....

Ok, I have the bug. I finally got around to deer hunting this year, using a bolt .30-06. Bolt guns are ok, but not my favorites. I'm old enough not to be a millennial, young enough to be steeped in auto loaders over more classical arms...

For next years hunt, I want an auto loader. Their handling is much more intuitive and comfortable for me. I'm confident enough with irons to shoot out to 150 yards (prone or supported) and make consistent kill shots, and further with a good optic.

After getting a taste, and if I continue going with the same partner to learn the ropes, I do not anticipate making a shot beyond 200 yards, with most being within 100 if we hunt the areas he's familiar with.

So with all that established, which platform would be the most useful, which platform is going to give more good options. While a .223 will take a deer, I would prefer a bigger and harder hitting bullet. I would prefer not going over a 20" barrel - in AR15s with 5.56mm, I love 20 inch rifles or short pistols the most. 16 inch guns are ok, but I just like 20s more.

The calibers I am most interested in are .25-45 Sharps, .300HAM'R, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmore, and .308 Winchester

Would like to have a rifle that could be used to take a black bear if possible, but probably 90% of the upper's use would be deer hunting or punching paper. Thinking free float rail, probably throw a Redfield or Leupold 4-12x40 scope on it.

Leaning toward the AR10, but AR15 stuff is more prevalent and less expensive.

Thoughts?

Have you ever thought of semi-auto 30.06 ?

Unless it's a Garand, I don't have much interest in semi auto '06's - I specifically want an AR type rifle, and I have only seen one in that chambering, and I'd have to sell a kidney to afford it. I want a complete package for about a grand, tops.

If you want an AR platform then my suggestion would be an AR-10 in .308 with a Leupold 2-7X Scope. That will go a long way towards covering your needs. It's truly a One Gun Does Everything type Rifle.

Here's my 6.8SPC with Leupold AR1.5x4-20 with 45° offset BUIS.

97FB6C4F-8875-40E4-A53C-01764F57295A.jpeg
18C7B1AE-562B-48EF-987B-00BDE7A27481.jpeg

You guys have better eyes than me - 3X would be bottom end for me, but I found myself using 6X most while out last time, it was a decent compromise between magnification and field of view.

If you want an AR platform then my suggestion would be an AR-10 in .308 with a Leupold 2-7X Scope. That will go a long way towards covering your needs. It's truly a One Gun Does Everything type Rifle.

I love my AR10, but they are heavy pigs. The OP stated he wanted a 20" barrel as well, which adds weight. I'd think if a guy was hunting out of a stand and not walking around much, that platform would be alright to hunt with...

I would go with a 6.8spcII. That is the "standard" chamber now. I don't know of anyone making the original chamber. There are multiple 6.5 grendel chambers also that you would need to pay attention to also. The bolts can be a weak spot in the Grendel, something to consider. If you hand load there are lots of options for you, if staying with factory I would go 6.8spc. AR15performance.com makes great barrels for multiple calibers for the AR platform and prices are good. Its a good starting point for some basic info.

6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC are comparable out to 500yds. After that the Grendel has slightly better performance. I love my 6.8 and hunt with it...when I can go, have taken three deer with it. Sierra 110grn Pro Hunters did the job and the deer didn't run more than 50ft. Mine is a 18" Bison Armory barrel and is more accurate than me.
I built a LR308 and didn't like how heavy it was...I built it as light as I could. To top it off, I threw on a 24oz suppressor....definitely not something I enjoyed lugging around the woods.

Last Edited:
For large animals, when I can't find a brick, I use my .458 SoCom.:eek:
For coastal deer, I use my 7.62x39. (Semi-Auto 30/30).:D

Earlier today I remember reading someone had squeezed a .308 into
an AR15. Don't remember the price for the upper, but it would be hard
to hunt without an arm and a leg any way.:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I have not taken it hunting, nor have I planned to, but I think the S&W M&P10 might be an option.

I think they have 6.5CM but I opted for 308 because more cheaper and I am not trying to shoot at 600 yards.

18" barrel but she is light weight for sure. Less recoil than my PTR91 as well. Accurate enough for killing durrs at 200yds no problem.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top