JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm considering to appendix carry a Glock 19 and I've been seeing good reviews about appendix carry rigs that have the holster and mag carrier in one rig. Something like a T-Rex Arms Sidecar or OTP elite from M3tactical.

Light-Compatible Sidecar – T.REX ARMS

<broken link removed>

I've never appendix carried before but I like the idea of having an extra mag and not having to remember to grab a separate mag carrier.

Does anyone have something like this? I would appreciate any advice.

Last Edited:
From personal experience carrying AIWB, here is my opinion...
-First, for me and my body-type ( not much of a belly), it's by FAR the most comfortable, and best-concealed, method.
Sitting is not an issue, the rig disappears when standing/moving, and access to the weapon is available at all times.
-I do have, but don't use, a "connected" rig, where a mag holder is attached to the main holster. Reduces mobility a bit, and makes everything (me and the holster) feel very stiff. Also adds diameter, vs a holster only. Pants that fit right with just the holster may be snug with the combo rig. At this point, I prefer to carry a spare mag in a pocket, or if clothing allows, a dedicated OWB mag caddy.
- last, though it's hard to tell from the pictures on those links, I STRONGLY recommend that whatever holster you end up with DOES NOT STACK the clip on the slide-portion of the holster!
I cannot begin to fathom why a kydex-bender would put a (thick) clip on the (thickest) portion of the holder, when the goal is to remain as slim as possible. A completely flawed design, in my opinion. Especially for a thicker, double-stack gun like a Glock 19.
The best IWB I have has one single clip, directly attached to the portion of the holster that covers the trigger area. You know, the slim portion?
Anyway there you go...good luck with your decision, and as always,
Carry On.

This is a custom made holster from:
Red Feather Gear – Custom Kydex holsters and sheaths
You can find Bill here as "RFG"
He is a great guy and I got and awsome holster
:)

IMG_4012.JPG IMG_4013.JPG

I am somewhat chubby and i carry appendix and have only ever carried appendix, its the most comfortable for me even being a bit overweight with a belly, all i have to do is hike my pants up a bit when i sit down and i am good to go. I originally started to carry appendix because i felt more secure having my gun in front of me where i could keep track of it and know it was secure and concealed, as time went on i tried other methods of carry and found that appendix was best and most comfortable for me.
I highly recommend a sidecar/ mag caddy rig, Redline Concealment Holsters has the DCR 2.0 which is great and Home Page, Custom Kydex Solutions has the hitchhiker, and sometimes they have quick ships avaliable for the 19

The thing with the side car is that it generally requires you to position the holster between, say, 11 and 1. Which means you either have to put your belt buckle on the side...which I find kinda awkward, or you have to buy a buckle-less type belt which may be an added expense. So give this some thought before you buy.

I've got a bit of a gut, maybe chubby is the word, but when sitting my belly definitely rolls over the belt just a bit. And I find appendix carrying my Glock 26 as quite uncomfortable. Is there a trick in carrying a longer gun (which gets it reaching father into the nether regions), or carrying it deeper (which makes it harder to draw)? What's your trick @brenty for carrying with a belly?

No side car/integrated mag carrier for me. I'd say I qualify as fat - 6'4" 300lbs. I carry modified appendix most of the time - the gun is positioned at the 2 o'clock position. Carry a G19, have carried larger guns (M&P 9 full size, Glock 21) - the G-19 size guns are perfect - they don't dig into the leg while seated, my belly isn't flopped over the gun, and it's big enough of a gun to get a full handful of gun if/when I need it. I carry my spare mags in the dedicated mag pocket of the pants I wear for work, or in a kydex pocket mag carrier of my own creation, or occasionally in a belt carrier.

i carry a g19 with an rmr as my daily carry i carry it directly front and center, i have it so the grip sits just below my belly button, it tends to ride down when i am walking around a lot, and if i need to sit/ bend down i just hike my pants up a bit. and my belt buckle goes right above my right pocket.

I feel like this would be the most comfortable and if doing so I would look at the holster that have a high rise so it doesn't hit your twig and berries when sitting.

But I just can't bring myself to carry a firearm point at my gunk.
For me it's the most uncomfortable, mentally

I feel like this would be the most comfortable and if doing so I would look at the holster that have a high rise so it doesn't hit your twig and berries when sitting.

But I just can't bring myself to carry a firearm point at my gunk.
For me it's the most uncomfortable, mentally

There's a fair number of videos out on this that illustrate the proper way to appendix carry and what happens if you happen to ND. I'm not saying you can't ND into your leg or junk but I personally don't think the risk is any greater than carrying in the 4-5 o'clock position. And if anything, having the pistol right in front of you offers you greater control and ease of draw to help ensure the pistol is pointed in the right direction on the draw. I see plenty of people sweep their leg or even their entire lower torso as they attempt to draw from behind the hip.

Now if you're afraid of the gun just going off while you're seated and it's pointed at your junk...well that's a different matter entirely. But do consider that there are a ton of very knowledgeable, highly trained instructors carrying appendix.

Yeah I've been reading a lot of forums and "experts" talking about it being the best.
One of the biggest negatives they say is reholstering if drawn, but that can be easily worked safely. It's more of a mental thing, but just like all other issues the right holster makes all the difference

As for reholstering - watch the gun as you reholster. Easy as pie and you'll always be sure the holster is clear before you stuff the gun back in it. There is no reason NOT to look at the holster - you should not be drawing the gun unless there's a lethal threat. The gun should not be reholstered until the threat is gone, thus it's perfectly safe to look down for the second it takes to reholster. Any instructor that tells you to never look at the holster is full of crap - if you look at the number of people who have been ND'ing while holstering - I'll be willing to bet the percentage of those ND's are 90+% from those carrying on the hip. Those carrying appendix or shoulder or other are probably a lot fewer and further between. And if you look at how most holsters are designed and how they ride - you are still pointing a gun at your own body and still potentially creating a lethal situation even on a 3 o'clock rig.

Appendix is just as safe as any other carry method when practiced properly, and just as dangerous as any other when done improperly.

I see this is an old thread, but do any of you fall into the 6'3" 200 pound category? How has appendix worked for you? Thinking of giving it a try over the small of the back I typical carry.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top