JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
DONT USE A TSA LOCK! You are the only person that can open it. They will ask you to open it when you check it and then you sign a piece of paper that they include in the gun case. Then you LOCK it. They may do this at the counter where you drop your bags off or they will send you to a second location with tsa personnel. Don't use a TSA lock because once the case is closed they do want anyone but you to be able to open it. This includes the worthless tsa agents.

I understand your point and agree "TSA" locks are not "mandatory". However I have had personal experiences that using a TSA approved lock would have avoided.

As someone who has has their personal padlocks cutoff and then had the unlocked case sent down the carousel with all the normal luggage, I can say only this.

The TSA and the airlines are separate entities and the TSA will do whatever they want including re-inspecting any bag, case, box, or package they wish. Are they supposed to, no, do they, absolutely. If they do they will cut your locks off and they will not replace them. Leaving you in a precarious situation. ( My case was sent down the baggage carousell with all the normal luggage unlocked).

I use the TSA locks because in the end the TSA will do as they please, how they please, when they please. At least with the TSA locks they can re-lock the contents.

Just my 2cents, based on personal experience.

This is the best write up I have seen on packing a firearm for transport and making sure it's there at the end of the flight: Traveling with your CCW best friend: or how I pack to pack | Survival Monkey Forums

Note the section where all ammo must be in the original box:
"The next thing most all airlines and TSA require is that no magazine maybe charged with ammo and all ammo must be in the mfg orig box."

I flew on Frontier airlines last May to Florida with my XDM40 in checked bag. I had my magazines loaded per their instructions.
Go to your airlines website and find the rules and go by them to the T.

Frontier says magazines may be loaded but have to be taped over the top (where bullets are exposed).... No Shi*!!!!

My FA case was not opened during the inspection by TSA agent either. I guess he figured I looked like I was a straight shooter or something....:eek::eek::eek:

Just make sure it can be locked using a TSA lock. If they decided to re-inspect the contents without it, they would probably break the thing open causing a whole new mess of problems.
No. Under no circumstances should you use a TSA lock on the gun case.
This is a violation of federal law. The law clearly states YOU must retain the key. Nobody else is permitted to have the key.
If you use a TSA lock then literally everybody has a key.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top