Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone know anything about Christmas trees?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joe Link, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

The girl and I are looking to get a tree in the next few days. It's a bit early for some, and I've heard some are much better at surviving until the holiday. Anyone know which would be our best bet and which to avoid this early? Locally available, of course :)

2. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Noble firs are my preference. Adding a couple aspirins to the water seems to prolong their usefulness.

When selecting a tree, lift it straight up a little and drop it on the cut end of the trunk 2-3 times to see if a bunch of needles drop off. If they do, move along to a different one because that tree is going necro.

Sgt Nambu, Dyjital and Caveman Jim like this.
  3. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  4. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Yep, got to water them a lot, I like the noble fir too.o_O

5. bolus

forefathersrback likes this.
  6. slingshot1943

slingshot1943 salem or Well-Known Member

If it has not just been cut, recut the bottom end. It will take up water better.

Sgt Nambu, orygun and jbett98 like this.
  7. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Thanks guys. Looking at the pics, it looks like the Noble's are what I've preferred as well.

Sgt Nambu and Dyjital like this.
  8. Joe Link

Do you mean you pick the tree and they cut it down then and there, or do you mean they cut the bottom of a tree that was already cut?

I'm in the Beaverton area for now, so that's not too far.

9. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Cut the stump right before you mount it in the tree stand.
    Water it twice a day, otherwise the stump cut will seal itself and it will stop absorbing water.
    Get a large tree stand that has the extra water capacity.

Sgt Nambu and orygun like this.
  10. bolus

They cut it down while you are there. If it is tall, they will trim off the bottom as well. Cant get any fresher than that. They have several varieties of trees too. Nice little family operation.

11. forefathersrback

forefathersrback Central Oregon Well-Known Member

The wife and I are pretty simple these days. Kids are grown up, however there are the grandkids that still love the trees. So we have opted to buy a live Norfolk Pine. They withstand the small twinkle lights,which never get to hot. Plus it's a great tree to have in the house year round. Easy to care for. Or you can always go with a tactical x~mas tree. Meaning you can always sneak into the ERUDNE estate, and cut one of his trees, while he is sawing logs. Sounds like he's been doing a lot of logging on his property. Oh, and when I say sawing logs, I mean the ZZZZZZZZZ's type. You might want to take a vest. And definitely only use a hand saw. Your woman could be the look out, cut & run!:cool: Now that's a tactical X~mas tree.

Sgt Nambu and erudne like this.
  12. Joe Link

That sounds nice. Any idea what the name of it is, or the hours?

Hah, I don't think @erudne would like that much :D

13. Phrank

Phrank Forest Grove Active Member

Only thing I know about them is they make great bonfires in January.

14. bolus

I dont remember the name and they dont have any lights to cut trees at night. So I would say daytime on a weekend is best

15. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

16. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

We always buy a permit from the Forest Service ($10) and head out into the forest to cut a tree. Nobles are my favorite, although Silvers and Grands are very similar. Head to 3000ish ft or above and start looking. This Sunday will be the time we cut ours, too. This is typically the weekend we cut a tree. Just avoid a Hemlock. They shed needles almost immediately after being cut!

The time difference between cutting the tree and putting it in water varies for us from an hour to 3. No matter the time, I always cut a little more off and then stick it in water. Never heard of the aspirin trick, but we have always added a bit of sugar to the water. Whatever you add or don't add, keep that baby watered.

oli700 likes this.
  17. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

a Fresh Noble fir last the longest, Make a fresh cut when you place it in the stand and then add one of the packets that they give you or go to any nursery and get one that helps the tree absorb and stay green. Don't let it run low on water, and that means check daily as they can drink up a river fast. Do that and it will last till early Jan.

18. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Best tree I ever had was a Frazier Fir, but they're a little hard to find. We go artificial these days.

19. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Fraziers are my favorites as well, but Grands are a close second.

20. 44mag2ndamend

44mag2ndamend Round the ole tree stump, Down by the crick Well-Known Member

You oughta see how well they go up in June!