JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The girl and I are looking to get a tree in the next few days. It's a bit early for some, and I've heard some are much better at surviving until the holiday. Anyone know which would be our best bet and which to avoid this early? Locally available, of course :)

Noble firs are my preference. Adding a couple aspirins to the water seems to prolong their usefulness.

When selecting a tree, lift it straight up a little and drop it on the cut end of the trunk 2-3 times to see if a bunch of needles drop off. If they do, move along to a different one because that tree is going necro.

Thanks guys. Looking at the pics, it looks like the Noble's are what I've preferred as well.

Cut the stump right before you mount it in the tree stand.
Water it twice a day, otherwise the stump cut will seal itself and it will stop absorbing water.
Get a large tree stand that has the extra water capacity.

Do you mean you pick the tree and they cut it down then and there, or do you mean they cut the bottom of a tree that was already cut?

I'm in the Beaverton area for now, so that's not too far.

They cut it down while you are there. If it is tall, they will trim off the bottom as well. Cant get any fresher than that. They have several varieties of trees too. Nice little family operation.

The wife and I are pretty simple these days. Kids are grown up, however there are the grandkids that still love the trees. So we have opted to buy a live Norfolk Pine. They withstand the small twinkle lights,which never get to hot. Plus it's a great tree to have in the house year round. Easy to care for. Or you can always go with a tactical x~mas tree. Meaning you can always sneak into the ERUDNE estate, and cut one of his trees, while he is sawing logs. Sounds like he's been doing a lot of logging on his property. Oh, and when I say sawing logs, I mean the ZZZZZZZZZ's type. You might want to take a vest. And definitely only use a hand saw. Your woman could be the look out, cut & run!:cool: Now that's a tactical X~mas tree.

They cut it down while you are there. If it is tall, they will trim off the bottom as well. Cant get any fresher than that. They have several varieties of trees too. Nice little family operation.

That sounds nice. Any idea what the name of it is, or the hours?

The wife and I are pretty simple these days. Kids are grown up, however there are the grandkids that still love the trees. So we have opted to buy a live Norfolk Pine. They withstand the small twinkle lights,which never get to hot. Plus it's a great tree to have in the house year round. Easy to care for. Or you can always go with a tactical x~mas tree. Meaning you can always sneak into the ERUDNE estate, and cut one of his trees, while he is sawing logs. Sounds like he's been doing a lot of logging on his property. Oh, and when I say sawing logs, I mean the ZZZZZZZZZ's type. You might want to take a vest. And definitely only use a hand saw. Your woman could be the look out, cut & run!:cool: Now that's a tactical X~mas tree.

Hah, I don't think @erudne would like that much :D

We always buy a permit from the Forest Service ($10) and head out into the forest to cut a tree. Nobles are my favorite, although Silvers and Grands are very similar. Head to 3000ish ft or above and start looking. This Sunday will be the time we cut ours, too. This is typically the weekend we cut a tree. Just avoid a Hemlock. They shed needles almost immediately after being cut!

The time difference between cutting the tree and putting it in water varies for us from an hour to 3. No matter the time, I always cut a little more off and then stick it in water. Never heard of the aspirin trick, but we have always added a bit of sugar to the water. Whatever you add or don't add, keep that baby watered.

The girl and I are looking to get a tree in the next few days. It's a bit early for some, and I've heard some are much better at surviving until the holiday. Anyone know which would be our best bet and which to avoid this early? Locally available, of course :)

a Fresh Noble fir last the longest, Make a fresh cut when you place it in the stand and then add one of the packets that they give you or go to any nursery and get one that helps the tree absorb and stay green. Don't let it run low on water, and that means check daily as they can drink up a river fast. Do that and it will last till early Jan.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top