JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've owned a 645 for nearly 30 years now and it's still my go to defense pistol. The first thing I did back then was have a good pistol smith work it over; removed the magazine disconnect and hammer drop safety, better quality spring set and full deburr and polish on the rails.

It's well loved now and shows its age but just as accurate and reliable as ever. When I go on my long planned quest for the Holy Grail this 645 will be on my hip.

i had a 645 many years ago I never had any issues with it and someday i plan to have another. Currently have a 4516 the 645's little nephew.

i love these steel smiths but the problem is getting to be on the rarer models parts and magazine availability. The cs40 magazines are difficult to come by for example

How do you like the 4516? I've been considering getting one for concealed carry for a long time just never get around to affording it.
This is my third and was sorry i sold the other two which was a big mistake. After carrying officer sized 1911's i feel that the DA makes it easier to carry. I like the pistol alot.

I bought one when they first came out. I liked the gun, but didn't really like the magazine disconnect safety. That said, I used my 645 as a bedside gun "because of the mag safety"... could leave the gun cocked with a round in the chamber... remove the mag and the gun was unable to be fired.
I got one when they first came out still have it. I took out the mag disconnect safety. So it would fire without the magazine in the gun.

Last Edited:
This is my third and was sorry i sold the other two which was a big mistake. After carrying officer sized 1911's i feel that the DA makes it easier to carry. I like the pistol alot.

Thanks for the feedback, JRuby.

Here is my 645.

S&W 645 2.JPG

Back in the 1980's, I used to go into the police supply store in my home town. They were a Smith dealer, had all the up-to-the-minute stuff. I remember in 1986 the cop store had several of them in their display case. I wanted one but instead opted for a Model 25-5 in bright nickel with a 4 inch bbl. Never quite got over the 645, so about 25 years later I bought a used one. I didn't have it long; seems like my ardor for it had cooled. But I like Smith automatics; I have a 639 that I'm very fond of and an older 59 (my third or forth one) that I got inexpensively not too long ago.

About price on the older Smith automatics. They should be worth more. Older revolvers bring nutso prices, not so much for the autos. Maybe too many people are focused on the newer plastic guns, diverts some of the market. The OP paid $490, which is a very good price but I've seen them for sale in recent times for not much more than that. Which makes it an undervalued piece in my opinion. They are an impressive piece of machinery. They weren't inexpensive when new, I think over $500 so if you get a nice one for that price now, considering the time value of money, it's about half price.

I can live without the squared trigger guard.

The Smith 645 are awesome pistols! Not many people have heard of them

Agreed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews