JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a bear/moose defensive handgun with a barrel length between 4 and 7 and half inches that can shoot 454 Casull. I like how the balance and feel of smith and Wesson revolvers. But I am not familiar with the X frame they look very large and cumbersome. I also have no desire to shoot 460 magnum out of a handgun so I would only be running 45 colt and 454 out of it. The Taurus is the least expensive and most available and I have no experience with it. Any feedback would be appreciated. I am also located around Scio that commutes to Eugene so any suggestions where I can go and look at some of these revolvers would be appreciated

Based upon their warranty policies alone I would, and have since then, stayed way from Taurus. You might check out Smith & Wesson or Ruger instead. Regarding the X-frame, I have one in .500 Magnum. There is no getting around the fact it is a big, heavy handgun. However, I found it balances well, and the overall features are very nice indeed. At least the specimen I've owned and shot. Cheers. :)

I also have no desire to shoot 460 magnum out of a handgun so I would only be running 45 colt and 454 out of it.
Then why bother? Get a 44 Mag/45 Colt in the flavor of your choice and start shooting.

Ruger has a couple 480/454 options if you feel you need something larger than the typical magnums.

I had one of the original 500 magnums when they first came out. It was an easy gun to shoot, less recoil than my 5" 629. It was a neat gun, but ultimately just a toy.

FWIW I've had a Ruger Redhawk in .44Mag for decades; likely one of the first ones in the Eugene / Springfield area (where I lived at the time). It's a fantastic firearm, and makes me smile every time I shoot it. Nicely balanced and a real shooter. I used to do some serious off road motorcycle riding in remote places....my Redhawk in a nylon Uncle Mike's shoulder holster made many trips with me, no issues and no problems. It is, however, a good sized and fairly heavy piece. Even took a quick accidental swim in the river with me on a couple occasions.....unscathed. Sure love mine, easy to recommend.

I've known a couple people that had that or other Taurus revolvers and it's almost as if they have two factories, some of them work just fine and others have so many problems that you never see them for all the time the are back getting worked on.

JMHO but I would look for a good used Ruger, maybe even a single action, in 45lc. They are more reliable and will hold their value much better for when you realised that all that pig iron on your hip isn't worth it and you sell it for better camping / hiking gear and maybe a nice little 22 or 32 H&R mag revolver

I still have the Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 casull 7.5 inch. I think it balances well. I hade a SW 460 in 8 in barrel, but never shot it before selling, and cannot recall the balance.

I trust the Ruger SRH more, seem stronger.

I have the sw 460 performance center, it handles the 454 casull very well and it's a pleasure to shoot with 45lc. It balances very nicely. Robert out in Dallas made me a chest rig that makes it effortless to cary while fishing in Alaska

I have the sw 460 performance center, it handles the 454 casull very well and it's a pleasure to shoot with 45lc. It balances very nicely. Robert out in Dallas made me a chest rig that makes it effortless to cary while fishing in Alaska
Thank you first of all, what is Robert's business name in Dallas?

Then why bother? Get a 44 Mag/45 Colt in the flavor of your choice and start shooting.

Ruger has a couple 480/454 options if you feel you need something larger than the typical magnums.

I had one of the original 500 magnums when they first came out. It was an easy gun to shoot, less recoil than my 5" 629. It was a neat gun, but ultimately just a toy.
Why bother is a good question, I have a Rossi 92 lever gun in 454 and that is my go to for elk, moose, bear etc and that is what my reloading is set up for, 45 colt and 454. I also am planning on spending a significant amount of time outdoors in rural Alaska and want a gun that is well balanced and points well. I also want a revolver that shoots the same cartridges. Smith and Wesson, to my knowledge, only gun that can shoot 454 is an x frame 460.

Based upon their warranty policies alone I would, and have since then, stayed way from Taurus. You might check out Smith & Wesson or Ruger instead. Regarding the X-frame, I have one in .500 Magnum. There is no getting around the fact it is a big, heavy handgun. However, I found it balances well, and the overall features are very nice indeed. At least the specimen I've owned and shot. Cheers. :)
Thank you

Why bother is a good question, I have a Rossi 92 lever gun in 454 and that is my go to for elk, moose, bear etc and that is what my reloading is set up for, 45 colt and 454. I also am planning on spending a significant amount of time outdoors in rural Alaska and want a gun that is well balanced and points well. I also want a revolver that shoots the same cartridges. Smith and Wesson, to my knowledge, only gun that can shoot 454 is an x frame 460.
Then get this:

Or this:

Or, if you're a special sort of moron, this:

That is perfect thank you. I think the used market is probably pretty good on those two inch Alaskan only fired and dropped one time. I always wondered if they were for old boxers who got to enjoy getting punched in the head.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews