JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today at the local pawn shop I picked up a double action 45 S&W Model 645. It was in very nice condition and the price was reasonable. It's screaming Miami Vice :) According to what I red on the net these guns are well made, accurate and last forever. S&W made them only for a few years during the 80's. Has anyone had any experience with this gun?

Other than installing wood grips I am not planning to do much to it.

DSC_1751_zpsxiot9xhp.jpg DSC_1745_zps7nbieetd.jpg

I had one and am sorry I sold it. It was very dependable and to me quite accurate. The problem with a lot of these smith's is that oem magazines are getting harder to come by. I would stock up on magazines if I were you
I have at least four for each of my smiths.

The Smith 645 are awesome pistols! Not many people have heard of them since they were only made for a couple years. Seeing how the entire pistol is stainless steel, it is a little on the heavy side. But they are a great pistol.

Which reminds me, I want one!
How much did this one set you back?

Thanks. It was somewhat of a gamble, I wasn't 100% sure what I was buying at the time. I negotiated it down to $490. At that point I knew I was getting a good deal on a stainless semi auto 45 made by S&W.

Since these guns were only produced for 3 years parts could be an issue but still available out there. Also there is not a whole a lot of support for customization compare to the 1911, meaning different mag release, sights etc. I did find an adjustable rear sight for $90 that I might buy in the future.

Great gun , had one for years. It maybe a Gen 3 or 2 . They eat anything! Even empty brass, it was their ultimate test.

And I have done it, not a problem.
Enjoy it !

I bought one when they first came out. I liked the gun, albeit a bit heavy, but didn't really like the magazine disconnect safety. That said, I used my 645 as a bedside gun "because of the mag safety"... could leave the gun cocked with a round in the chamber... remove the mag and the gun was unable to be fired. The magazine, being much smaller than a complete gun, was easy to conceal from prying eyes... quickly inserted, the gun was ready to fire with no safety to fool with!
Now that the kids are all out of the house, I don't have that safety concern any more.

Something a bit hard to find bit just as cool as the 645 is the baby brother.

They have way to many model numbers for me to remember, heck maybe 4506? But it was the compact to the 645.

Ok
Found the info, it's a 4516.
Detectives would carry these in the 90's.
I Remember seeing a guy back in 91 at an IPSC match in Reno with one and he did a great job with it, he had to do more reloads but shot a great score with it.

Last Edited:
Wish I had one. Those were the best darned .45 ACP pistols on the market. They may have been slightly heavier than many of their .45 contemporaries, but they were the "Billy Bad Boy" of the block when they were manufactured.

I loved mine. It is like having a DA/SA 1911. They do look better with wood grips.

View attachment 304328

Those are the Hogue wood grips. I bought a set for $39 on Amazon. The set I received I absolutely hate, the grain is nice but the color is awful. My plan is to strip the finish, stain it rosewood and reseal it with urethane semi gloss. I will post before and after pictures when done.

So far I put about 200 rounds through the gun without a single issue. Once I figured out how to apply the correct trigger control it was reasonably accurate. I was able to buy some spare parts just in case, a complete set of springs and a recoil spring guide rod. Also had the rear sight replaced with an adjustable one. Definitely a keeper :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top