JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just found out about the Redhawk in 45 colt/ACP and they come with a 4.2 inch barrel. I am going to continue searching for a 5 inch 454 and your information was very helpful. But the 45 colt Redhawk is a good option if I can't find one shortly, it can take loads that I would say are stout enough for bear and moose. I wouldn't be able to chamber the 454 cartridges I typically keep in my rifle but my rifle feeds and shoots the 45 colt very well and buffalo bore +p is loaded pretty close to 454.
I posted earlier on this topic with Ruger single action stuff but there's been some suggestions on Ruger Redhawk models. Double action guns. Got me curious so I went on the hunt for the Redhawk in 45 LC / 45 ACP with the 4.2" bbl. Found one, ordered it last week, picked it up at my candy store yesterday. Ain't shot it yet but I like the grip, balance, even the sight radius which I was concerned about. My wife likes the grip of the gun although it's a bit heavy for her (like my Bisley 45's). Now I'm thinking I gotta consider another chest rig...

Good stuff! Here's hoping you find what you are looking for. :)

Ruger Redhawk 45LC 45ACP - R.JPG

Interesting the .480 Ruger is being kicked around. From what I've read, the cartridge has a lot going for it. Tempted to take the plunge, but since I've already have a wheelgun that can shoot .500 JRH, which is close in performance, opted not too. Still, interesting option. :)
I think the reason 480 didn't take off was a because the internet. People kept comparing it to the 454 casul. They are not comparable. While they are both big bore magnum cartridges and both will take down large game, they are very different rounds. 454 is more powerful no doubt. But 480 has significantly less recoil, meaning more comfortable, has a slightly larger diameter, and, it's versatile - you could hind dear and medium game with JHP or large game with heavy HC, it can also take down really big animals. The guys at Buffalo Bore took a 2500lbs Bovine.
My only gripe with it is ammo availability, sometimes I just wanna be lazy.

Finding ammo can be difficult. Luckily Buffalo Boar and Underwood typically have stock.
I liked the 480 as a caliber, in fact I'll bet yours used to be mine and I'm the one that made the 410gr ammo for it. The 71/2" super redhawk was just too much of a good thing for me. It was hard to hold for long with both arms extended and was defiantly a two hand gun due to the weight and recoil so I mostly shot it off the bench. Off the bench it was fun enough and if I was going to shoot handgun silhouettes it would be awesome for that. It certainly would smack the steel hard. That being said, I don't bench shoot handguns. I carry, draw and fire handguns so I went back to a regular 71/2" redhawk in 44 mag that seems for me anyway just right in a cross draw holster.
I got mine new in 2021. The ammo in Grizzly. It is a heavy gun, helps with recoil. 44mag is my favorite handgun caliber.
. Got me curious so I went on the hunt for the Redhawk in 45 LC / 45 ACP with the 4.2" bbl. Found one, ordered it last week, picked it up at my candy store yesterday.

View attachment 1744217
several years ago I was shopping for a 44magnum revolver. Redhawk was an option. One shop had Redhawks, one in 44mag and the other in 45. I thought they would be the same gun just different calibers, but I swear the 45 was a nicer gun, like they put more work into the finish and the action was smoother.

I ended up getting an M69 and love it.

I posted earlier on this topic with Ruger single action stuff but there's been some suggestions on Ruger Redhawk models. Double action guns. Got me curious so I went on the hunt for the Redhawk in 45 LC / 45 ACP with the 4.2" bbl. Found one, ordered it last week, picked it up at my candy store yesterday. Ain't shot it yet but I like the grip, balance, even the sight radius which I was concerned about. My wife likes the grip of the gun although it's a bit heavy for her (like my Bisley 45's). Now I'm thinking I gotta consider another chest rig...

View attachment 1744217
Picked up one a couple days ago. Let me know how yours shoots. I wasn't terribly impressed with the accuracy when I tried it out yesterday, but it's new and it wasn't terrible so I will practice up with it and see if it improves.

I had an X-Frame 5" in 500. The recoil was a lot, but was only painful off of the bench.
It was pretty accurate and balanced well, but it was a HEAVY PIG to pack in a belt holster. (good belt and holster, too). I believe a cross chest holster would have worked much better. An all steel Commander felt like less than half of the weight on my belt.
I bought the gun new. Within a 100 rounds or so it had to go back to S&W because the timing was off. They paid shipping both ways and fixed it fairly quickly.
Back then reloading with jacketed Sierra bullets (400gr) made it to where it was just under $1 per pop, once I had brass.
It was fun and I'm glad I spent time with it, but I doubt I'd buy another one.

To OP, didn't really read the whole thread..
How much pistol shooting have you done? If not much I wouldn't worry about minutiae of relative balance of moose pistols much because it's all moot/ academic.
A pretty fair amount, enough to make a difference on pointability and ease of handling when having to deploy a handgun quickly. I have shot magnum pistols I haven't had much use for them until now. I ended up purchasing a Redhawk in 45 colt/ACP with the +p ammunition it should be sufficient and Short enough at 4.2 to be carried in a chest holster but long enough to give me enough sight radius to hit what I intend.

@Sky61 -- A couple of other things about Alaska--

Most of the gun oils and lubricants turn to sludge in the cold of an Alaska winter in colder places. My dad lubricated the slide of the Colt Woodsman semiautomatic pistol with graphite, not an oil at all. Find out what the locals are using as gun lubricants these days wherever you go and switch to that.

Alaska has snowshoe hares, which can get up to 20 lbs, are easy to hunt with either rifles or handguns, and are very good eating. My parents used to hunt them with handguns, shooting them in the head. They are brown in summer and white in winter. They are easy to hunt because they tend to freeze when approached, depending on their camouflage. So you can get very close to them, especially if you take an angle toward them rather than approaching directly and appear to be looking at other things. So you might want to take a good .22 handgun or rifle or both with you in addition to your Casull and big game hunting rifle(s).
Thank you I have a Ruger mark 3 I use for rabbit hunting I love the thing

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR