JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have any of you done this? Is it hard to do a paper form 4 on your own without ffl? If I have filed many form 1 e-files on my own, shouldn't this be a piece of cake?? It just seems there could be issues transferring a gun from myself, to myself. Especially when half of these items (the SBR's) I manufactured myself and will be listing myself as both the transferor, transferee, and manufacturer.

Little background story so you see where i am coming from —

I have quite a few Nfa items (5 or 6 cans and 6 sbr's). My fiancé is very comfortable with a few of these configurations and I'd prefer to leave her with something she can confidently use when I'm not around if the threat presents itself. Currently for legal reasons I'll state that I'm leaving her with a handgun and a full sized unsuppressed AR when I'm gone. She hates the full sized AR thinks it's too heavy. She is pretty damn good with a handgun from the training I've given her but is way more competent with a SBR.
LEGALLY I'm not supposed to be leaving her with access to my NFA items when I'm gone. I just got a NFA trust. I am going to be adding most (if not all) of these items to that trust.
Another thing I'd like to do is to be able to add my family members as trustees later also incase shtf and i need to store my stuff at their house.

I'm assuming it's a long bubblegum wait for paper form 4s. I still have two cans in jail one is at 11.5 months and one just hit 12 months last week.

Here's my plans -

Get all my items transferred to my trust. Wait the 1 year (+/-) till they're approved, and once all are approved, add her as a trustee. This allows her to possess my items without me, but saves the whole "responsible persons" portion of the application. Yes I know this means for future purchases I'll need to include her on all form 1/form 4's that I file in the name of the trust. That's fine. I want her on there full time. As far as if I add my parents and brother on there, I'll probably revoke them before filing, until the new item is approved, and then just add them back onto the trust.

I know this is going to be expensive, I know this means I need to file a separate form 4 for each item and pay 200 bucks for each item (ouch). I know it's probably not necessary for every item, but if I plan to do a few a might as well just do all. So I appreciate input but if it's about any of the above mentioned pointers then respectfully I don't want/need to hear it. I've already considered the money and headache portion of it. I mostly want to know if anyone has done this and has had any issues.

I'm in the process of doing it right now. I had silencer shop do everything for me. They had a beta program going for this service. Just call and ask them about it. I've also transferred an NFA item from a family member to my trust. I did all the paperwork myself. Lots of good tutorials online. I just used the current form 4 as a guide and put the new information in. You can also do your own prints. I would never pay anyone to do that again. You can order the print cards for free from the ATF and get a 10.00 ink pad off of Amazon. Great tutorials on that as well. Really shouldn't be an issue.

I'm in the process of doing it right now. I had silencer shop do everything for me. They had a beta program going for this service. Just call and ask them about it. I've also transferred an NFA item from a family member to my trust. I did all the paperwork myself. Lots of good tutorials online. I just used the current form 4 as a guide and put the new information in. You can also do your own prints. I would never pay anyone to do that again. You can order the print cards for free from the ATF and get a 10.00 ink pad off of Amazon. Great tutorials on that as well. Really shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks! Yeah I have a ton of those prints and I usually do my own prints. So you're saying silencer shop did it all for you? Did you have to use one of their trusts? I have a trust outside of silencer shop. But heck, if they require me to have their own trust and it makes it that much easier for them to do it all for me, I'll use theirs! Can you send any info on what you used from silencer shop to have them do it all for you? Feel free to pm me

On a side note, different but same same, there's a different thread about THIS.........

130309.jpeg

Anyone have any input???
Not sure what you are looking for? a SS SST is just a trust that they manage for you. As far as I know it works just like any other trust, but they only let you put one item on it. Past that I am not sure what is different about it from any other trust. Seems to me like it is slightly less flexible but way easier to manage (since, you know, they manage it for you).

Outside having a spouse or children on a trust, I don't see the point at all. I'm not putting every single person I potentially go shooting with on a trust and just handing over my very expensive NFA item to them to beat up and abuse at will....

Outside having a spouse or children on a trust, I don't see the point at all. I'm not putting every single person I potentially go shooting with on a trust and just handing over my very expensive NFA item to them to beat up and abuse at will....
Are you planning on letting them have access while you are not there? Because that is the thing trusts are good for. I need a trust because I have a wife who I want to have access to my NFA stuff while I am out, and I do not mean "just in case," I mean I want her to have access to the safe where the NFA stuff is kept, because there are other things in there that she wants access to. Putting her on the trust is way more practical than buying a safe for just NFA items (and there is that whole "in case of need" thing too. I want her grabbing the "just in case" gun with the suppressor on it because I would like her ears to stay working just as much as I want mine to.)

Are you planning on letting them have access while you are not there? Because that is the thing trusts are good for. I need a trust because I have a wife who I want to have access to my NFA stuff while I am out, and I do not mean "just in case," I mean I want her to have access to the safe where the NFA stuff is kept, because there are other things in there that she wants access to. Putting her on the trust is way more practical than buying a safe for just NFA items (and there is that whole "in case of need" thing too. I want her grabbing the "just in case" gun with the suppressor on it because I would like her ears to stay working just as much as I want mine to.)
Didn't I just say "outside of a spouse or children" meaning I totally get it for those particular people.

What I don't get is the people who insist on using a trust when it's realistically just them anyway. Or they want to add the entire roster of drinking buddies and co-workers.

In any case, this discussion belongs in a different thread. Should get back to fast from 4 times, etc

I view it the same way. I use the trust for control of the items by my wife or family when I'm gone. That's all I use it for personally. But others might have different uses for a trust that are just as valid.

Apparently we don't have the same friends........just sayn!!!! 😉

Not sure what you are looking for? a SS SST is just a trust that they manage for you. As far as I know it works just like any other trust, but they only let you put one item on it. Past that I am not sure what is different about it from any other trust. Seems to me like it is slightly less flexible but way easier to manage (since, you know, they manage it for you).
As far as that's concerned, they don't need fingerprints etc....they're a "responsible person".......like I said, I really didn't wanna get into it in this thread because there's already another one dedicated to it.........

Let's not start getting all pissy pants here about semantics, I was simply asking a question about something thatt was relating to the original conversation

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top