JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The ex found out i was CCin at a bar(i was dd for the night) after her friend hugged me and asked what was that? The exes friend says ago and continued to dance while my ex throws a fit... she is my ex for a reason. The current gf feels it says what's that i tell her its my glock and she says oh wow i feel safernow. Is it chambered i say yes and she says i trust your safe but when we are alone please tell me why that's safe. That was about 4 months ago. She now wants an OFA class for xmas so she can get a CHL too!

... punctuation is your friend. Glad that your new GF is a little more open minded.

When I used to carry back east and was "busted", the universal question was "are you a detective"? The number of permits to carry was a lot more restricted than in the West and it was quite a novelty to see one carrying.

Possibly because they were so limited there was less fear, or, there wasn't as much focus on violence?

I would expect the felony crime rate for holders is a LOT lower than the general population.

I haven't been cc'ing that long, and since I mostly get around on bike/bus I usually carry in a 'man purse'. The only time I've been made is when a VERY firearms-friendly barrista at my local coffee joint saw the extra mag I had stashed next to my wallet in the bag... no worries there, she just wanted to know what my ccw was. We'd talked guns before (she has several more than I do!), but before then I'd never mentioned that I carried, I try to be Mr. Discreet. BUT I've since found a better way to stash the extra mag, no use alarming (so to speak) all the Moms & kids who go there.

Years ago I was in a Denny's, (Pasco, Wa)which I frequented during the winter for coffee and a book. Most of the waitresses knew me on sight. During the colder months, I generally wear a shoulder holster, since it's easier to get at with that bulky coat on. One day it was extra warm inside, and I had unbuttoned my flannel shirt and forgotten about it. I put my coat back on, but didn't zip up, and when I was chatting with the young lady at the cash register, she noticed my gun. I'd say this girl was about 20? She asks me if I'm a cop.....even though we've talked on multiple occasions, and she already knew what I did for a living. When I responded negatively.....she states with full authority, "Than you can't carry a gun, it's illegal"! I asked her who told her that, and she responds that "everybody knows that"! While her demeanor wasn't threatening, but rather like she'd suddenly been involved in a naughty little game, and was happy to "know" something that nobody else had noticed....I was really disturbed about her serious lack of understanding of the laws. Call me naive, but I was actually shocked to find out that it was such a common misconception. Even after I showed her my CCP, I got the feeling that she still didn't believe me, and thought it was some sort of forged document I'd made up........
Later that week I was open carrying all day, (outside belt holster, tension hold) and while standing in line at a gas station, I felt a touch on my gun. I immediately swung my elbow, while looking down at my gun. It was an old man with his hand ON my gun, and my elbow connected with his forehead. (I'm pretty tall) He backed way up, and started jabbering at me saying that he'd "Just wanted to know if it was real".
I learned several lessons that week...........

I haven't been cc'ing that long, and since I mostly get around on bike/bus I usually carry in a 'man purse'. The only time I've been made is when a VERY firearms-friendly barrista at my local coffee joint saw the extra mag I had stashed next to my wallet in the bag... no worries there, she just wanted to know what my ccw was. We'd talked guns before (she has several more than I do!), but before then I'd never mentioned that I carried, I try to be Mr. Discreet. BUT I've since found a better way to stash the extra mag, no use alarming (so to speak) all the Moms & kids who go there.

Is she hot?

I got physically subdued by 4 police officers once about 15 years ago at Clackamas Town Center. At the time I was wearing a long sleeve button up shirt over a tucked in shirt and was carrying my Sig in a holster at about 9 oclock (lefty). This method had never printed much for me. Apparently I was standing on the top section of the mall looking over the railing (people watching most likely) and someone from below (ground floor) was looking up and saw just enough of my gun or holster to become Terrified. They called police who rushed me from front and behind. Police grabbed both arms and asked me if I had a gun. I said, Yes I do. They took me into a private area and we had discussions about my CWP, my intentions and my apparent lack of understanding that it was Illegal to carry in the mall. In the end we parted ways with no real damage done, a good lesson in carry procedure and now I'm more careful when I carry at the mall (oops, I mean in a hall) :s0131: :s0155:

It wouldn't be illegal, just against their rules, if they had them posted. Last time I was at the Tacoma Mall, I checked the entrance and didn't see a sign saying no guns.

I was wearing a Glock sweatshirt and went into a Starbucks, the barista started talking to me, said she used to have a Glock but sold it and got a USP Compact .45. I was a bit shocked because that's exactly what I did as well. It's nice to see people open to the idea and not freaked out about it.

Also the only time I was "discovered" was wearing my shoulder holster and I got a hug and they noticed. No big deal, it was family, but I I never let myself be exposed. When I am carrying I always pay attention to how my shirt is riding. I change my style when I carry. I usually wear clothes one size up to allow ample coverage and concealment.

Hmm the mall story reminded me of something.

When I was in high school I used to ride my bike to the local indoor archery range in the summer. I just stuffed my recurve bow disassembled in my backpack but the limbs and arrows were a bit long and stuck out (tips down, fletching poking out the top). Anyway one time I decided to stop by the mall first since it was in the same general direction to look for a videogame I wanted. On the way to the store I was accosted by one of the security guards who said they'd been getting calls about someone walking around with a bow and arrows. It was pretty funny cuz I told him I was going shooting afterward at the range down the road and proceeded to show him I had arrows with target tips rather than broadheads. When I pulled an arrow out of my backpack he jumped back like a snake bit him. Guess he thought I was gonna stab him or something lul. Anyway after that he was very polite and borrowed some bubble wrap from the knife store to put the arrows in so as not to frighten the proles while I went about my business. I guess skinny pimply high schoolers with glasses and arrows sticking out of a backpack are very threatening to some people. :s0114:

For 19 years I had carried 100% concealed. Every day without fail and never been noticed. I carried a Bersa .380, Keltec P32 and a .357 Revolver. I carried everywhere legal to do so.

A little over a year ago I began to carry open. In the past year it has barely been noticed. I would say that 99% of the people in public do not notice. They are busy with their own lives and since I carry a black gun (Sig P229) in a black holster it is just another 'smart phone' on someones belt in there peripheral vision. For those very few who have noticed I have had only positive reactions, questions about the legality of OC, thank you's and one overtly negative reaction by an anti.

While OC is not for everyone, it has been liberating. I know longer have to dress around my firearm, dress to much for warm weather or worry about being spotted. I have both a CPL and a CHL for Washington and Oregon respectively as I travel between both states from time to time. I carry and live in the Seattle and Tacoma area and contrary to the 'liberal' bias that exists I do not get much reaction. I conduct myself, my behavior and my dress in a polite, professional and courteous manner and I suspect that is why I am respected when carrying a firearm in public.

For 19 years I had carried 100% concealed. Every day without fail and never been noticed. I carried a Bersa .380, Keltec P32 and a .357 Revolver. I carried everywhere legal to do so.

A little over a year ago I began to carry open. In the past year it has barely been noticed. For those very few who have noticed I have had only positive reactions, questions about the legality of OC, thank you's and one overtly negative reaction by an anti.

While OC is not for everyone, it has been liberating. I know longer have to dress around my firearm, dress to much for warm weather or worry about being spotted. I have both a CPL and a CHL for Washington and Oregon respectively as I travel between both states from time to time. I carry and live in the Seattle and Tacoma area and contrary to the 'liberal' bias that exists I do not get much reaction. I conduct myself, my behavior and my dress in a polite, professional and courteous manner and I suspect that is why I am respected when carrying a firearm in public.

I have had similar experience, except that I think a lot of people notice mine as I will thigh carry it. I am a cc at heart but started open carrying from time to time. And I have been sooo surprised at the positive feedback. Only one worker in a local Alberstons who called his manager on the phone to ask if it was ok and looked a bit paranoid when I told him it was legal. He also seemed annoyed when his manager said there was nothing wrong.

So far have yet to not be given a thumbs up by the end of a conversation when asked about it. There pretty much isn't a day that goes by if I open carry around town that I don't get stopped by someone. And though I don't care for the idea of the attention, I have found that the opportunity to inform people on the laws in this positive type fashion has been rewarding, since hardly any of them know it's legal and I come to find that most also don't know about cc. One parent stopped me and asked if his little kids (maybe 6 and 8 yrs) could ask me questions about it in the middle of Safeway one day. There were about 6-8 adults who stopped to listen to that... which was sort of embarassing, as I didn't want to cause a scene. But I thought it was awesome that these little kids were brave enough to be the ones to ask what they were all wondering. :) I keep expecting someone to freak out, especially a parent. So far as long as I smile and act like it's not there, people just seem intrigued enough to ask about it. Some people have suggested that being a woman has been to my advantage on positive feedback for possibly appearing less threatening.

A local police officer came up to me about a week ago while oc. Had just gotten into my car and he walked up to my window. He looked at my gun and said... "I thought that's what I saw. I don't have a problem at all with it, I just wanted to make sure I was seeing correctly since it's not every day I see a woman packing that around. Ok that's cool." He was so nice. I appreciated that they were up on the laws--that being my first encounter with an officer that wasn't a personal friend while oc. :s0155:

Otherwise have never had any of them spotted while cc.

No one has ever noticed when I carried concealed now, but when I was working as a cop, I was "caught" several times. I think I was less cautious then, and some of the time I was on the gang task force, to I deliberatly looked like a thug. The only touchy situations were once in a mall, when i set of a metal detector. The security asked me what that was, and I told them "my 45." The look was priceless. The other time was checking into a hotel in LA. Some ditz in line saw and called LAPD. I was at a swat convention, so when they got the call they had already been swamped with gun calls, and paid it little mind. Hotel security however, was upset by all the hardware in the lobby.

A little over a year ago I began to carry open. In the past year it has barely been noticed. I would say that 99% of the people in public do not notice. They are busy with their own lives and since I carry a black gun (Sig P229) in a black holster it is just another 'smart phone' on someones belt in there peripheral vision. For those very few who have noticed I have had only positive reactions, questions about the legality of OC, thank you's and one overtly negative reaction by an anti.

Haha,Having seen your photo in another thread,it's because you look like a cop and no one thinks different.

Liberating? WTF? You are truly a piece of work.

Originally Posted by atypicalparkie
... I usually carry in a 'man purse'. The only time I've been made is when a VERY firearms-friendly barrista at my local coffee joint saw the extra mag I had stashed next to my wallet in the bag... no worries there, she just wanted to know what my ccw was. We'd talked guns before (she has several more than I do!), but before then I'd never mentioned that I carried, I try to be Mr. Discreet. BUT I've since found a better way to stash the extra mag, no use alarming (so to speak) all the Moms & kids who go there

...which lead to Redcap asking:

Is she hot?
um, my answer can only be that I've been with my Wife for 18 years...
how's that for a diplomatic-lawyerly answer? :s0114:

LOL on the exchange above!

I haven't knowingly been "made" by anyone except my kid. As noted above, even full hugs can be directed away from the firearm. If I have a cover garment that tends to ride up, I'll snag the bottom of it under the belt clip of my holster so it never comes higher than that. I know it will slightly impede my drawstroke, but my concealed drawstroke involves pulling up the cover garment anyway so it still works. My daughter has a bad habit of noticing it in public and whispering to me "is that your gun?". Sometimes (like going to the mall at night) she says it makes her feel safer.

Now a flip side of this thread, what do you do if you see someone else printing or showing a previously-concealed firearm? Here is an email I sent after an incident several years ago:
I was standing in the returns line yesterday in Target when a guy walked by with his packages & ~2 yr old daughter in a shopping cart. I noticed the muzzle end of a kydex holster poking out from beneath his zip-up sweater, and silently hoped that he would notice before anyone else saw it. When he picked his daughter up out of the cart, his sweater hiked up enough to continuously show the full holster and parts of the pistol (looked like a Glock 19). They stood in the snack bar line while "displaying", but they were too far away for me to discretely warn him. He finally noticed and pulled his sweater down to the original position (which still showed the muzzle end of the belt-slide holster). What would you have done? What would you have wanted to happen if you were the "Unconcealed" person?

I've never been 'made' while concealing. Lately I have been front-pocket carrying and my wife did notice some lady checking out the front of my pants the other day. Of course, i told my wife it was probably not my .380 the lady was checking out. I do have a new holster on order as mine now prints just a bit too much for my taste.

Yes, while fishing, hiking, etc. Always some low income moron liberal who needs to ask if I'm Police and why I need that thing. I ask them in return if they are the gun Police, and they reply, "No...." so I just usually laugh and walk away...Only Cops and people astute enough to carry in the first place can ever have the sophistication to understand WHY we carry.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top