JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, cut.. not shave. I think most learned to shave by age twelve.

I was watching offtheranch (offshoot of demolitionranch) and saw that fella cut his own hair and thought "heck, if he can do it, I can do it".. and I always liked his haircuts.. and since I had a clipper and guard set that I had bought for dog shearing (they didn't work on the dog.. had to use scissors) just wasting away I gave it a go last night.
Mainly just did it by feel with a couple of guards and then with guard removed and it doesn't look too ridiculous for the three minutes it took me.
I figure that with practice and some schooling I'll get better at it.
Any tips (my tip jar is empty!) or pointers would be appreciated.

I know this wasn't the question but working on call and previous to that working in attics and crawl spaces, I just started to 'shave' (not cut so maybe too much thread drift) my head with electric shavers. No bic shaves as there was little difference in 3 days.

Every time I 'cut' my own hair I think, I just saved myself $20-30 bucks.

Plus it was/is easy to take a hobo shower with a wet towel and be ready to go in like 3 min.

Plus my wife likes my head shaved:p, and I'm starting to thin up too from wearing hats a lot.

So it's a win-win-win for me.:rolleyes:

Agreed, the old Wahl's are great clippers, I'm searching for new blades for my 20+ year old Wahl...

Bought that back in '97 and paid a whopping 14.97 for it... Got what, 29 years of haircuts out of it... Dang, wish I could make more investments like that...

Bought a set of clippers twenty years ago and cut my own for a few years until it started getting thin on top. Now I shave my head and the clippers are used to trim everything else.

No adapter on the trimmer and call it good, I figure when I start losing my hair I'll be ahead of the curve. I used to enjoy the process of a fine cut but with time spent and rate of growth I gave up.

Yes, cut.. not shave. I think most learned to shave by age twelve.

I was watching offtheranch (offshoot of demolitionranch) and saw that fella cut his own hair and thought "heck, if he can do it, I can do it".. and I always liked his haircuts.. and since I had a clipper and guard set that I had bought for dog shearing (they didn't work on the dog.. had to use scissors) just wasting away I gave it a go last night.
Mainly just did it by feel with a couple of guards and then with guard removed and it doesn't look too ridiculous for the three minutes it took me.
I figure that with practice and some schooling I'll get better at it.
Any tips (my tip jar is empty!) or pointers would be appreciated.
I sometimes cut my hair if I am feeling too cheap to pay 25 bucks for a haircut. I just cut it all one length and then shorten the sides. Tip: use either 180 mirror or on on hinges so you can see the sides better.

I don't have much hair in the top of my head, but the sides fill in well. I use a set of Oster clippers with no attachment. Most of the time my wife does it, but not always. When I do it myself I go out to the garage to do it, then come into the bathroom so I can check it out with mirrors.
The last time I did it myself I finally figured something out. I don't lift the clipper after making a pass, I drag it backwards over my scalp and then take another pass. By dragging it backwards it seems like I'm able to keep better track of where I start another cut and it helps my hand keep it in constant pressure on my head. Kind of like a muscle memory thing. My hand gets to feel the curve of my noggin and has less trouble making a good cut.
I bought my first pair of clippers almost 20 years ago and only replaced them within the last few years. About $50 covered the cost of both clippers. A heck of a lot less than I would have spent over that time in a barber shop!

.Remember, you can always take off more hair, but you can only (slowly) grow it back if you mess up.... plus, if we can still see your face when your done, please turn out the lights because you failed!
:D
Ha, so true. The next day in full sunlight and in profile I caught a glimpse in my rearview mirror and was horrified at the butchery around my left ear in particular. I guess in the future I'll hold the clipper at more of a 90* angle.. it looks shaved 3/4" above the ear.. and pretty hacked. Oh well, it grows.

Kinda surprising, I didn't think so many cut their own hair.
It's good to be in such company.
Hopefully my technique will improve.

Agreed, the old Wahl's are great clippers, I'm searching for new blades for my 20+ year old Wahl...

Bought that back in '97 and paid a whopping 14.97 for it... Got what, 29 years of haircuts out of it... Dang, wish I could make more investments like that...
I kinda follow this guy AvE on youtube and noticed this a couple months ago. He's a hoot.

Either someone close to me or myself have cut my hair all my life.
I was elated when Grandpa got his Wahl in early 50"s as before, he had squeeze shears which pulled out almost as much hair as they cut.
Here is about 1953'
hc1.jpg
Notice the little oiler that came with the Wahl, a far cry from the plastic bottle junk of today.

Another vote for Whal. Number 2-3 then the ear taper. Have be doing this since mid 90s when gave up the mullet style and pony tail. :) Some think it's military style other have thought skinhead or racists. All I know is I don't need no stinking comb. Wife does the neck that grows at an alarming rate on one side. WTF

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top