JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yes, cut.. not shave. I think most learned to shave by age twelve.

I was watching offtheranch (offshoot of demolitionranch) and saw that fella cut his own hair and thought "heck, if he can do it, I can do it".. and I always liked his haircuts.. and since I had a clipper and guard set that I had bought for dog shearing (they didn't work on the dog.. had to use scissors) just wasting away I gave it a go last night.
Mainly just did it by feel with a couple of guards and then with guard removed and it doesn't look too ridiculous for the three minutes it took me.
I figure that with practice and some schooling I'll get better at it.
Any tips (my tip jar is empty!) or pointers would be appreciated.

I have a Wahl set I got at Costco. The guides are from 0-8 in 1/8ths of an inch. I grew up with my mom always cutting my hair with scissors and then my younger brother did the bro fade he learned in college for me a few times before I learned to do it myself. I usually start off with a #6 or #5 on top and then fade from the bottom up starting with a #2. I usually shave my neck by going top down with the shortest guide. If I'm trying to look extra spiffy I'll have my brother shave my neck as he's the only one who understands I don't want it shaved half way up the back of my head.

Yes, I do. I bought a ConAir haircutting set last year. Sometimes I'll cut it all off and shave my head. At others, I'll put a comb on the clippers to leave two inches all over and shave my neck. As long as my hair continues to grow out, I'll keep trimming it. I shave the back of my neck every time I am in the shower.

I have cut my own hair since 1993 after I ETS'd from the Army. I pretty much do what easy-e does, but I always started my "taper/fade" with a #1 guide. I also use a hand-held mirror while standing in front of the bathroom mirror and just "think in reverse" to make the right moves.

Remember, you can always take off more hair, but you can only (slowly) grow it back if you mess up.... plus, if we can still see your face when your done, please turn out the lights because you failed!

:D

Yup. #1 on the sides (1/4"), #4 on top (3/8"). One time the attachment fell off mid-cut and I cut a nice groove down the middle. At an angle. Had to shave it that time.

No particular reason I do this, except wife takes forever to do it and I don't have time to go to the barber.

Anybody notice the Wahl clippers really suck compared to the ones they made 20 years ago?

I have cut my own hair since 1993 after I ETS'd from the Army. I pretty much do what easy-e does, but I always started my "taper/fade" with a #1 guide. I also use a hand-held mirror while standing in front of the bathroom mirror and just "think in reverse" to make the right moves.

Yup. #1 on the sides (1/4"), #4 on top (3/8").

I find a #2 (1/4" in my set) still leaves some side burn left which is why I start there. I definitely don't do high and tight like a lot of people do. I also don't use a reverse mirror. I don't even try to style/cut my neckline...I just blend it in for simplicity sake.

With the Wahl guards mine would be #2 to a #5 or 6 fade. 1/4" to 5/8" or 3/4".

Don't laugh... I've already heard all the jokes.
...I've been cutting my own hair since 1978 (yeah, that's almost 40 years), and I'm still using the same FlowBee that I bought way back then. Although I did breakdown and buy a set of replacement spacers last year.

Even at just 8 haircuts X $20ea X 40yrs = a savings of $6400...
....(that's a lot of ammo)

I find a #2 (1/4" in my set) still leaves some side burn left which is why I start there. I definitely don't do high and tight like a lot of people do. I also don't use a reverse mirror. I don't even try to style/cut my neckline...I just blend it in for simplicity sake.

With the Wahl guards mine would be #2 to a #5 or 6 fade. 1/4" to 5/8" or 3/4".
I don't even do the neckline. Let my wife cut the micromullet. Or I end up with whatever the clipper can get. My set has a 45 degree left and right ear taper, so at least that looks neat

I started cutting my own hair after my barber moved into a mall, and the first time I went there I left $30 poorer, I drove right across the street to Wal mart and bought a set of clippers I start at the bottom with a #4 the mid with a #5and the top with a #6. During the summer I will start with a 2 or 3

Yes I did cut my hair for the last 5 years until recently. I got tired of people not cutting my hair the exact way I wanted so I figured all I needed was a hair cut kit and a mirror. People could never tell I cut my own hair. Now I just shave my head in the shower every 3 days and am totally content. :cool:

...I've been cutting my own hair since 1978 (yeah, that's almost 40 years), and I'm still using the same FlowBee that I bought way back then. Although I did breakdown and buy a set of replacement spacers last year.

Yeah, I've done that math too. I've saved quite a bit in the 20 years I've done this.

LMAO... I remember the FlowBee TV commercials WAAAAAY back when... they even used it on a dog. LMAO!

I was watching offtheranch (offshoot of demolitionranch) and saw that fella cut his own hair and thought "heck, if he can do it, I can do it".. and I always liked his haircuts.. and since I had a clipper and guard set that I had bought for dog shearing (they didn't work on the dog.. had to use scissors) just wasting away I gave it a go last night.
Mainly just did it by feel with a couple of guards and then with guard removed and it doesn't look too ridiculous for the three minutes it took me.

:s0122:

I used to cut my own hair in my mid 20s. I did so for a few years. I would just shave it all off at about 1/2".
Made it easy.
Now I go get it done, but often want to do it myself again. I could never get my neck line though.
My wife won't trim my neck line for some reason.
So I go to the barbers shops. Never go to the same person. Which ends up being a slightly different haircut each time.
But my hair grows fast so even if I get a bad cut I could careless.

My old man is a tight A**. He has plenty of money but will never pay anyone to cut his hair. and has been cutting his own hair for 20 years. He has gotten good at it and i doubt anyone would know it wasn't from a barber.
I do not cut my own and will not. I tired one time and it was horrible!! Anyone remember the flowbee? Thats what it looks like when i ever try to cut my own lol.

Cut from several different angles, left to right, right to left, front to back, if you have thick hair. Sometimes strands or bunches of hair will lie flat and avoid the blade. Then if you put on a hat or wake up the next morning and slept wrong you will have random patches sticking up.

I used to cut my own hair in my mid 20s. I did so for a few years. I would just shave it all off at about 1/2".
Made it easy.
Now I go get it done, but often want to do it myself again. I could never get my neck line though.
My wife won't trim my neck line for some reason.
So I go to the barbers shops. Never go to the same person. Which ends up being a slightly different haircut each time.
But my hair grows fast so even if I get a bad cut I could careless.

Maybe she could never tell if you are coming or going...

IMG_3758.JPG

:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top