JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a gun from a private party before they started requiring ffl transfers here in OR so it's probably registered to someone else. Now I'm going to sell it. Does anyone know if that's an issue or not?

TIA!

The only scenario that fits, that might be a problem, is someone buys a firearm from an FFL, transfers to someone else without doing a BGC, then that person sells it via an FFL/BGC transfer.

Is the state going to get involved because somewhere along the chain they suspect this firearm was sold to an eligible buyer but without doing the BGC?

I seriously doubt it.

For one thing, the person it was transferred to without the BGC, may be an "immediate" family member who is exempt from BGCs in such a transfer, and without knowing the family tree of everybody, the state would not know whether the person was exempt or not due to this exception in the law.

Also, original owner may have legally sold the firearm to someone in another state, which Oregon may not have access to the records from that other state.

I doubt the state of Oregon is looking at those kinds of details in their data.

That doesn't mean that a person should illegally transfer a firearm and then claim one of these exceptions.

Oregon does not have a true registration. It was never "registered" to anyone, but they can see who first bought it from an FFL.

If the transfer took place in Oregon after the BGC law. They could request a trace-back by the ATF too. I don't think Oregon does data searches like this unless the firearm is involved in a crime. The main reason they want those serial numbers and make/model/type data, is so they can use that data when it comes time to confiscate firearms.

We've got a similar thing here in Wash. Since I-594, a dealer transfer is required. Before that time, it wasn't required for private transfers. So anything in the way of a private transfer that happened before I-594 is off the books. Any gun sold by a dealer on the books before I-594 might've changed hands privately any number of times until 594 went into effect. Anything you sell now will always have to go through a dealer transaction. There should always be a paper trail on that one to stay out of trouble. Guns previously off the books must now go through a dealer and get on the books. By law, anyway. What happened privately before 594 is unknown to government.

But let me say this, in some states handgun transactions on the books going I don't know how far back never go away. Several years ago, I got a call from a police dept. in another state. It was about a revolver I'd purchased in that state in 1985. When I moved to Wash. in 1987, I brought that gun along with me. I later sold it privately in 1991 to a Wash. resident. Somehow, that same gun found its way back to the original state and had been used in a crime. The gun was still registered to me in that state; they had no idea that I was no longer a resident, nor than I'd sold the gun. At the time, there was no requirement for this to be recorded. They called and wanted to know if the gun had been stolen from me. When I sold the gun, I'd kept a note of who it went to. I gave the caller that information and never heard another word about it. The police weren't trying to go after me, they were trying to get the suspect they'd arrested with the gun charged with an additional crime of possession of a stolen weapon.

The gun was still registered to me in that state
Probably not.

What most likely happened is the investigators knew the serial number of the gun and traced it from the manufacturer to the dealer, who retained the 4473, and so you got called.

This is true of every serialized gun sold for a very long time, and doesn't have a lot to do with the state AFAIK.

OBVS exceptions for CA, NJ, and NY.

Yes, when a firearm is involved in a crime, the LEOs often do a "traceback" via the ATF, who then gives them all the records they have on the firearm all the way back to the manufacturer, forward to at least the first retail sale via an FFL and any subsequent records which may or may not exist.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top