JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I suggest packing a BOB and taking it for a hike... A great idea generator for SHTF scenarios would be Hurricane Katrina. Prepare for something like that and you will have most bases covered.

Along the same lines, it's important to try out your gear to make sure you know how it works AND what kind of effort it takes to make it work. Some water filters, for example, can be a real PITA if you need to pump a lot of water through them.

Katrina is sort of my new benchmark for prep. There are several good accounts of what people did during that time - will post if I can find them again.

I wonder what percentage of people's budgets is spent on boots?

Not sneakers, tennies, or typical department store imitations. BOOTS!

I'm partial to full-leather gore-tex lined models. These have worked well for me in our wet weather.

I think proper footwear is especially important for women to consider as (some of? most of?) their normal footwear isn't always up to the task of walking very far. I have a few friends who worked in Starbucks HQ during the 2001 earthquake. Poor shoe choice became an issue for some folks who had to evacuate and walk a ways.

You guys might find this site interesting.

Great website - thanks for posting.

I found canvas jungle boots to be the better option for weather gear.

If you step in a hole with a waterproof boot, and the water level is above the boot top, it'll fill the boot and absorb water into your sock.

With a jungle boot, all that water drains right back out, for the most part.

"What about staying dry?"

Seirus makes some GREAT waterproof socks that are a PAIN IN THE *** to put on and off. They fit great, and make even cheap Issued jungle boots fit VERY comfortable. They're snug, and DONT let water in to your foot, and are pretty tall.

Does anybody happen to know where somebody can get survival food that is not full of common allergens (such as wheat, gluten, dairy, nuts, etc.)?? Obviously freeze dried fruit and veggies would be fine but I'm talking about real meals that have good protein and calories.

Years ago I became a survivalist:D:D Now I am an old man, guess it worked:s0131::s0131::s0114::s0114::s0114:

jj

Sounds like some of you folks have been around the block a few times.
My dad was a fairly self suficent guy. So I grew up that way. A few hard knocks from life confermed he was right.
My stash is not big but being a farmer has its advantages. 1 ton 4x4 pickup with 100 gallon tank, trailer which is fully preped all the time. So if needed wife and I can leave. Three son's and a brother in law also on the same page. We always have an excuse to go camping on a day's notice.
The other plan. I have health problems, heart being one of them, so heading for the hills at the first sign of trouble is not the best idea for me.
So the plan is to stay at home and duke it out. That would be from my shop. Fully stocked and preped for the long haul. 8 inch concrete walls, bullet resistant doors. The holes below the eves? Gun ports.
The nice part is to every one else its just a shop.
The old guy next door.

Does anybody happen to know where somebody can get survival food that is not full of common allergens (such as wheat, gluten, dairy, nuts, etc.)?? Obviously freeze dried fruit and veggies would be fine but I'm talking about real meals that have good protein and calories.

My wif has an issue with soy. Try finding food that doesn't have soy in it. Its a pita.

AAAAHHHH looks like we are in for an earthquake, lots of activity and some big 6.0s in Alaska.:s0131::s0131::s0114::s0114:

No really, it has been alot of fun and I have learned a great deal. You guys get a chance try to find Mel Tappens Survival Guns. Great book and keeps the mind thinking.

If SHTF try to end up old like me:D Or die real healthy:s0114::s0114:

jj

Amazon has 15 or so used copies. $20-30 each.

Amazon.com: Survival guns: A guide to the selection, modification, and use of firearms and related devices for defense, food gathering, predator and pest control, under conditions of long term survival (9780916172008): Mel Tappan: Books

I did that for 5 years, it was called the Infantry. I was in units such as the 75th Ranger Regiment and the 82nd Airborne Division. People still look at me funny when I hand them my Tac vest. It weighs about 70 lbs with ammo and L4 plates in it. They always ask how do you move in this? I tell them it's pretty easy after you get used to jumping with 180 lbs and humping 120 lbs thru the woods all the time. Just make sure that you wear good boots. Rough terrain, heavy gear, and bad boots will make your life miserable!

Its amazing what you can do with the right motavation. Someone yelling "Incoming!" has gotten my attention for a long time.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top