JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Someone asked about where to buy bulk foods earlier. I've looked around locally and found Bob's Red Mill in Milwaukie. http://www.bobsredmill.com/pages.php?pageid=19

I've bought some stuff there, and put it into 15 gallon plastic containers with screw on lids I bought from a guy on Craigslist (he sells all the time). I keep the grain in the original bag, the bag in the container, and the containers in my basement. That works well for me because I like oatmeal or other hot cereal / porridge in the morning. I buy it in bulk, for cheap, and just go through it.

Are there other local places people know of that supply bulk foods at a reasonable price?
- Bob's Red Mill
- Costco
- ?

So far nobody has mentioned the Mormon Church regarding survival storage and supplies. I am not a Mormon, and I would not play one on TV. But they are experts in food storage and survival supplies, and in educating anyone interested about it. Every Mormon family is asked to keep a full year's supply of emergency food stored for bad times. They can direct you to websites that sell economical bulk packs of almost anything for survival. Fire up your Google and find their educational sites.

Another obvious source is Mother Earth News magazine. I have not read it in years but it always had ads for survivalist food bulk packs in sizes up to truck load.

If you can get to Inner Southeast Portland, join the People's Food Co-op, on SE 20th Ave between Division and Powell. I think it is only $20.00 per year to join, and then you can order any quality bulk food you wish from their suppliers, or just shop in the volunteer-staffed healthy foods store. Beware though, it is highly Hippie-infested and relentlessly optimistic there, with rugrats running around. I don't THINK that dreadlocks are contageous, but be careful anyway.......................elsullo :D

Actually it wasnt. Feel free to resist the compulsion to "correct" anyone on their grammer. Its insulting, and arrogant.

Maybe we need to move or weed out this off-topic...

It's getting a little overdone and not conducive to The Golden Rule of NWF and Rule # 1 as it could appear to be in-fighting. Not so fun.

I suggest packing a BOB and taking it for a hike, if most people are like me, they will soon realize just how heavy all the essentials really are, thats not even counting a seven pound rifle and ammunition added to the mix. Then there are the vehicle scenarios. Fuel stations along any route will either be empty, without power, or protected by someone less than friendly to outsiders. Law enforcement, military, and paramilitary security forces will appropriate most if not all fuel sources for their operations. So unless a specific destination is chosen with multiple routes mapped out, it seems to me the best choice would be to shelter in place, with supplies purchased when they are plentiful. A great idea generator for SHTF scenarios would be Hurricane Katrina. Prepare for something like that and you will have most bases covered.

I suggest packing a BOB and taking it for a hike, if most people are like me, they will soon realize just how heavy all the essentials really are, thats not even counting a seven pound rifle and ammunition added to the mix.

Or as a first step, go out and stay overnight with only the contents of your bag. You'll see real quick what you used and what you didn't. if you can do 2-3 days out of a pack you'll have a much better idea of what is extra.

I did that for 5 years, it was called the Infantry. I was in units such as the 75th Ranger Regiment and the 82nd Airborne Division. People still look at me funny when I hand them my Tac vest. It weighs about 70 lbs with ammo and L4 plates in it. They always ask how do you move in this? I tell them it's pretty easy after you get used to jumping with 180 lbs and humping 120 lbs thru the woods all the time. Just make sure that you wear good boots. Rough terrain, heavy gear, and bad boots will make your life miserable!

I did that for 5 years, it was called the Infantry. I was in units such as the 75th Ranger Regiment and the 82nd Airborne Division. People still look at me funny when I hand them my Tac vest. It weighs about 70 lbs with ammo and L4 plates in it. They always ask how do you move in this? I tell them it's pretty easy after you get used to jumping with 180 lbs and humping 120 lbs thru the woods all the time. Just make sure that you wear good boots. Rough terrain, heavy gear, and bad boots will make your life miserable!

How much time could you operate before needing a resupply? Not counting ammunition expenditures because most people hopefully wont be in projectile rich environments, but your ration load, how much did you carry? Any suggestions from lessons learned to boost the calorie count?

You guys might find this site interesting.

<broken link removed>

It's not necessarily about the SHTF but what would more likely happen to us (and in a way is happening). The economy starts to go towards the gutter, a large portion of society turns to theft/murder to survive, and the local government isn't strong enough or too corrupt to protect citizens anymore. It's a pretty insightful review about living in a 3rd world country and how to protect your house and yourself.

Anyone wanna post picks of SHTF gear?

Three day packs and the like? This weekend we're heading up to the mountains, I'll post some picks of our shelters and some of the gear we bring. ..Which consists of a knife, hatchet, and fire steel. Tarp and 550 cord. :) Some crafty knots.. 1lb bag of beef jerky...

Some of my preps

stash.jpg

Before I re-stocked:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads