JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry about inspiring half a page of off-topicness. I didn't think it would be a popular subject.

Now to be right on topic, something i'd like to know is where to buy bulk rice, beans, wheat, and so forth.

Sorry about inspiring half a page of off-topicness. I didn't think it would be a popular subject.

Now to be right on topic, something i'd like to know is where to buy bulk rice, beans, wheat, and so forth.

I do Costco for convenience. I keep one 50 lb bag of rice and two 25 lb bags of pintos in reserve and use sealable plastic containers for the open bags. Also buy sugar and flour in 25 lb bags and keep one bag in reserve. I pick up 3 or 4 boxes of canned fruits and veggies each time I go and keep stocked up on juices, some canned meats, and dried fruits. Gotta rotate dried fruits fairly frequently.

Costco's not the cheapest, but has good quality.

I need to do better on water and fuel supplies, but push come to shove have enough food for a couple of months.

Have enough camping equipment for most conditions (good for if earthquake is the SHTF scenario), all stocked in sealable plastic bins. I have a number of stoves, from whisperlites weighing a few ounces up to a two-burner camp stove and two gas barbecues. Where possible I get dual-fuel devices that will burn both white gas and unleaded.

Otherwise have wood stove for heat and passive solar hot water. The solar not only heats, but increases water storage by having an added reservoir and the water in the lines.

Next item on my list is a 10 watt or so roll-up solar panel that can be used to run things small things like computers or cell phone chargers and, most importantly, can charge 12 volt batteries. And more ammunition. I'd get in to the group buy going on, but I already have three tins of the 7.62x54r com bloc on the way.

Oh, I also buy candles in bulk. The little round food-warmer types. I keep a couple of bags of 100 around at a time. They're cheaper than heck and, most important, you can put them anywhere and they don't fall down. Most fires after earthquakes are from candles falling down in aftershocks during blackouts.

I have other things to get, but better water and fuel storage with good rotation and some form of solar generation are tops on the list.

Many of the better grocery stores often have large bags of rice and/or beans also, as well as Winco.

Harbor Freight has sales every other month on a 45 watt Solar kit, 3 15 watt panels and a small regulator, for about $200. A couple of those and you'd have some serious charging capacity. DC can go a long ways if you've done some conversion to LED lights and low-draw electronics.

Oh, I also buy candles in bulk. The little round food-warmer types. I keep a couple of bags of 100 around at a time. They're cheaper than heck and, most important, you can put them anywhere and they don't fall down. Most fires after earthquakes are from candles falling down in aftershocks during blackouts.

I concur on the bag-o-voltive candles idea - we have a pack of these from Ikea (ugh) that we bought maybe ten years ago. We still haven't worked our way through them. Cheap and highly useful.

I also recently got an Aladdin oil lamp. This thing throws out a ton of light and heat. I'm pretty sure it would heat a small room. I've also seen a <broken link removed> that doubles as a cook stove.

I concur on the bag-o-voltive candles idea - we have a pack of these from Ikea (ugh) that we bought maybe ten years ago. We still haven't worked our way through them. Cheap and highly useful.

I also recently got an Aladdin oil lamp. This thing throws out a ton of light and heat. I'm pretty sure it would heat a small room. I've also seen a <broken link removed> that doubles as a cook stove.
Those are also known as tealite candles. Craft store, discount centers, many places often have bags and bags of them. There are places that sell little lanterns that take those as well.

When I first moved out on my own, I bought two of those Aladdins. Still have them. They burn a ton of kerosene, concurrent with their output, but you'll be refilling every evening. Also, unless you want to endure "you stink" comments, you'll want to spring the extra bucks for odorless kerosene. Never burn "lamp oil". Ruins wicks. The high output results in gobs of fumes that penetrate everything. All this may not be a consideration for SHTF, but if you're working inside every day it might. All Deitz stuff has gone to China, but you can easily get online and find parts and lantern sellers. You can also go on Epay and find vintage and restored models, often very affordable if you bid shrewdly.

We have several different types of lanterns,but this one is the most versatile http://www.britelyt.com/
Yes,they are little spendy,but the output is twice as much as a Coleman Northstar and when properly outfitted you can cook on it.
There are liquid candles that work well,we have a couple cases of them,had to break out a few during the power outages that we had when the windstorm came through a couple of weeks ago.
This place is really good for bulk food stores http://www.waltonfeed.com/ and if you can get your order on with a trk coming to your area can really save on shipping.
Remember that Brown rice has a limited shelf life,very limited,but still good to keep some around to break the monotony.
If anyone is interested,i have a lot of info stored on various drives related to many aspects of being self sufficent.
There are many excellent books out there,Carla Emery wrote what is considered by many to be one of the best books avail on Country Living
<broken link removed> she has since passed away and do not know what will happen to the book,but you can find them used.

Check out Lehmans.com and request a free catalog. This is a semi-Amish site and catalog store devoted to classic tools and supplies for a non-electric rural lifestyle. Nearly everything is highest quality American made classics---tons of stuff that you have always wanted, and more that you did not know you absolutely needed!

For anyone who walks with a cane, do not hesitate to order the basic "Stockman's Cane"! This is a TEN DOLLAH masterpiece of quality solid, heavy hickory wood---this thing is so hard it rings like a bell, yet is light and unbelievably strong. A little sanding and a second coat of lacquer and you have a perfect, beautiful, ultimate lifetime cane that doubles as a deadly weapon, hidden in plain sight.....................esullo

When I first moved out on my own, I bought two of those Aladdins. Still have them. They burn a ton of kerosene, concurrent with their output, but you'll be refilling every evening. Also, unless you want to endure "you stink" comments, you'll want to spring the extra bucks for odorless kerosene. Never burn "lamp oil". Ruins wicks. The high output results in gobs of fumes that penetrate everything. All this may not be a consideration for SHTF, but if you're working inside every day it might. All Deitz stuff has gone to China, but you can easily get online and find parts and lantern sellers. You can also go on Epay and find vintage and restored models, often very affordable if you bid shrewdly.

Thanks for advice on the lanterns. I haven't had mine very long, so I wasn't aware of some of those issues. I did know about the "stink factor" with lamp oil and paid for the good stuff.

Of course you better educate yourselves too about what to buy and how to buy it.:s0131::s0131:

The government keeps a close eye on all big purchases from food stores in an effort to confront terrorist. Never buy useing a rewards,cosco or whatever card because a record of you purchase will show stockpilling. In a real emergency the government will use the record to confiscate your stockpile.

Buy with cash only.

jim

Of course you better educate yourselves too about what to buy and how to buy it.:s0131::s0131:

The government keeps a close eye on all big purchases from food stores in an effort to confront terrorist. Never buy useing a rewards,cosco or whatever card because a record of you purchase will show stockpilling. In a real emergency the government will use the record to confiscate your stockpile.

Buy with cash only.

jim

Someone needs to teach you about " Tragic Boating Accidents "

Stockpileing is hard to move. Say we have an earthquake that hinders food shipments to your area (Hello Seatle did you feel that?:s0114::s0114::confused:) The government will go to the food chains and look at their records to find you and your stocks. The rewards card is just what you buy and they have good records.

Guess I better shut up again huh?:s0155:

jj

Well it's too bad you can buy cases of MRE's on Ebay, darn the luck. And UNfortunately I kindof like 'em.

I do miss the old freeze-dried fruit cocktail, I don't think they make that anymore. It was so awful it came back around the other side to being good.

Say that when someone asks you about all those guns you "lost" and see how well it works.

You'll need a complete list of common-named fictitious "buyers" with cell phone numbers that are no longer valid....don't ask me how I know...:s0092:

It better work.. I sold atleast 3 guns this week without paperwork.. let them come to my door asking about my guns and see how well it works FOR THEM

Stockpileing is hard to move. Say we have an earthquake that hinders food shipments to your area (Hello Seatle did you feel that?:s0114::s0114::confused:) The government will go to the food chains and look at their records to find you and your stocks. The rewards card is just what you buy and they have good records.

Guess I better shut up again huh?:s0155:

jj

And a potential solution to this particular scenario would be?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top