JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Getting my .338 Win. ready for a ground squirrel trip. I have a big 1" steel plate and I hope to set a new personal distance record for myself shooting a hunting rifle. Don't worry I have other stuff to shoot at rats with.

Not trying to hijack but was wondering ... Are Dinsdale's still letting guys on to hunt or do you need to knock on doors? I'd even consider drop a few bucks for a good day of shooting.
Good question. I know about four years ago (the last time I was there) they were considering not letting people shot on their land anymore because people were parking on the fields or walking on them plus shooting there arrogation pipe. And the last time I was there I did see a group of people with their rigs parts about 10 yards out on to the actual alfalfa fields and walking out in them I kind of brought it up and they just were like so! And I even saw one particular person occasionally using a centerfire rifle which Dinsdale's do not approve of its rimfire only. I have thought of going back over there myself but I don't know if they still let people shoot on the property anymore and you're not supposed to call him and bother them with any sage rat questions you're just suppose to go to their main office to sign in and not bother The office people.

Usually tall grass and heat prevents steady shooting . They do come out in the a.m. and p.m. I do not shoot on Dinsdale's at all since I prefer to use center-fire. They only allow rimfires. There is a lot of land out there with plenty of places to shoot. Christmas Valley is far more crowded with agricultural equipment than other places I have shot. I scanned a field last year with binoculars prior to shooting and found two guys on foot wearing camo. So checking the background is important. I enjoy using rimfires when there are plenty of targets. For example I was busy for two hours last year using my Ruger Single-Six. When it is slow I glass and use a .223 beyond 300 yards. It costs less than half of what a box of 50 .17 HMR cost.

I am heading to K-falls on Thursday for my first sage rat hunt. Can anyone tell me the compass direction out of K-falls to head for? It's like a beginner looking for treasure and no one wants to share his knowledge.

I am heading to K-falls on Thursday for my first sage rat hunt. Can anyone tell me the compass direction out of K-falls to head for? It's like a beginner looking for treasure and no one wants to share his knowledge.
What I've done in the past is look on google earth and find an area with pivots (circular fields) concentrated in an area. Then record what roads are around and do some door knocking in the area when I get there.

Let us know how you do! I remember my first rat trip, I didn't know what to expect. It has had me coming back for the last seventeen years, aside from my last four year hiatus.

What I've done in the past is look on google earth and find an area with pivots (circular fields) concentrated in an area. Then record what roads are around and do some door knocking in the area when I get there.

That is a great idea. I'll try it. thanks. My other idea is to pay a guide and find out where to hunt for the first time. I would like to find some out there. I've talked to a few fellows that are headed out but their knowledge to a stranger is null and void. I've just got to go on out and venture for myself.

Last Edited:
I'm at K-falls and I found the sage rats. Fired 50 shots today and prepared for 50 more tomorrow. After the shoot, it was fun to watch the bald eagles and their youngsters come in to feast on the dead ones.

Fifty is a slow hour when the rats are really out. I was late this year (went last week, should have been last week in March) due to circumstances beyond my control. I prefer spring break.

P

Last week in March was pretty hot. I'm heading back out this weekend.

If you get in them a box of 50 won't last 1/2 hour and that's probably taking your time. A few weeks ago a bud w/an A17 would take 10 shots just to miss 1 squirrel, he was sporting some 25 rnd mags. He went through a ton of rnds in a couple days.

Last week in March was pretty hot. I'm heading back out this weekend.

If you get in them a box of 50 won't last 1/2 hour and that's probably taking your time. A few weeks ago a bud w/an A17 would take 10 shots just to miss 1 squirrel, he was sporting some 25 rnd mags. He went through a ton of rnds in a couple days.

Mine are 20 Vartarg self loaded. I'm sure I hit 35-40 or so. I'm just getting ready for prairie dogs this summer. Yes, I'm a little late here as the alfalfa is getting pretty high.

W/a centerfire that I hand load I take more and am more selective w/targets, rimfires, not so much.

When we used to go to Wyo prairie dogging we'd stop at a ranch in Ironside Or on the way. He had a perfect set-up, the road circled his fields at roughly a 10ft elevation so you were always elevated above the field a ways. There was an irrigation pipe that ran parallel to us at ~100 yds, after an hour or so I wouldn't shoot anything between myself and the pipe, no challenge to it and it felt like a waste of good ammo. We didn't shoot rimfire back then, I would have 2 guns out on bipods and switch between them when the barrels started warming up. A .223 mini Mauser and a bull barreled BDL in 22-250. Good times!

The Vartarg sounds fun, that 221 FB XP100 listed on here would make a sweet VT set-up. Going 20P myself, probably start building it this fall for next year. Then something in a .17 centerfire :)

Denwhit do you also visit Accrurateshooters?

W/a centerfire that I hand load I take more and am more selective w/targets, rimfires, not so much.

When we used to go to Wyo prairie dogging we'd stop at a ranch in Ironside Or on the way. He had a perfect set-up, the road circled his fields at roughly a 10ft elevation so you were always elevated above the field a ways. There was an irrigation pipe that ran parallel to us at ~100 yds, after an hour or so I wouldn't shoot anything between myself and the pipe, no challenge to it and it felt like a waste of good ammo. We didn't shoot rimfire back then, I would have 2 guns out on bipods and switch between them when the barrels started warming up. A .223 mini Mauser and a bull barreled BDL in 22-250. Good times!

The Vartarg sounds fun, that 221 FB XP100 listed on here would make a sweet VT set-up. Going 20P myself, probably start building it this fall for next year. Then something in a .17 centerfire :)

Denwhit do you also visit Accrurateshooters?

Yes, same name as on here.

Old pic... but I'll just leave this here. Ruger 10/22 mag/17.

100_0020-1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads