JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah I'd like to avoid that. Not being much of a hunter I kind of want a drop them in their tracks kind of result. I'm not really a big fan of dispatching Critters but if they are becoming a problem like these are I don't mind looking at it as a job. Old farm boy here:p.

And I don't want anyone to think that I am implying that hunters don't care about a critter suffering 90% of hunters I know are very humane and honorable individuals.
A friend loaned me a break barrel.177 pellet rifle with a scope on it and I sometimes will take a shot out of my back window, it usually works the first time

Two words: Rat Terrier

I have 7 of them (The Rat Pack) that patrol the property. I don't remember the last time I, or any of my employees, has had to shoot a rodent and don't have a rodent problem since they started working. That's saying something considering that it's a working ranch and rodent hunting was a nightly chore when I bought the place from my father.

Two words: Rat Terrier

I have 7 of them (The Rat Pack) that patrol the property. I don't remember the last time I, or any of my employees, has had to shoot a rodent and don't have a rodent problem since they started working. That's saying something considering that it's a working ranch and rodent hunting was a nightly chore when I bought the place from my father.
I wish having a dog was an option but moving all the time no way I'm putting a good dog to that

There is give and take and depends what your intended usage is. Closer range and small game that's probably a valid choice. A larger caliber is less susceptible to wind shift so for longer range and/or larger game it's better suited, IMHO. The larger caliber also opens up more pellet/slug options... like some of the 44g and 47g's.

As usual... it depends. 👍
Everything would be under 25 yards at the absolute maximum. I don't want to see them suffer at all I want it to be a right through the head they don't know what hit them kind of moment. I really don't take a lot of pleasure in having to control rodents even though they are rodents. But I will do it if need be.

Everything would be under 25 yards at the absolute maximum. I don't want to see them suffer at all I want it to be a right through the head they don't know what hit them kind of moment. I really don't take a lot of pleasure in having to control rodents even though they are rodents. But I will do it if need be.
I guess another thing then would be that a larger/heavier projectile increases the likelihood of connecting and induces more damage... making an instant/humane kill more likely.

One way to look at it, anyway.

In the area I live and with whom I commune, those are called 'whistle pigs'.
Okay, you guys over there can do that.

whistle pig n
1 also whistle hog, whistling pig: A marmot n a, esp the woodchuck n.

(Yes, that was a bit of a d_ _ _ move, but hey, I'm a writer, occasionally of educational materials, and like being specific)

Last Edited:
I guess another thing then would be that a larger/heavier projectile increases the likelihood of connecting and induces more damage... making an instant/humane kill more likely.

One way to look at it, anyway.
Yes and I would like that except that I'm a little concerned about the heavier projectile going further once it's out of the barrel. I'm thinking that the smaller projectile might be a little more predictable and not hit one of my neighbor's dogs in the eye yikes.

Yes and I would like that except that I'm a little concerned about the heavier projectile going further once it's out of the barrel. I'm thinking that the smaller projectile might be a little more predictable and not hit one of my neighbor's dogs in the eye yikes.
That is the one argument in favor of .177 imo. I used to have a co2 lothar Walther .177 pistol that was only 5 fpe. But it was so accurate that you could pellet in the same hole indefinitely at 20 yards (if you select pellets with perfect skirts and allow time between shots for temps to stabilize). I used to take fox squirrels with instant kill cuz you could put it in the ear hole every time. Energy starts low and drops fast. But I would only recommend .177 for hunting if you can get that kind of crazy-good accuracy. If I was you I would go for .22 and only go for .177 if you can get really high accuracy gun. The reason is .177 is less forgiving and requires better shot placement (ie more chance that follow up shots will be needed).

Lower powered .177 has hard time getting through thicker bones like crows chest bones. Neck shot will put them down no issue though. All just my experience. Best of all worlds Imo is an accurate .22 (or larger) cuz little energy left even if it travels through critter. Something like a pigeon both that 5fpe .177 and 15fpe .22 goes through them like paper mache. But for most critters like squirrels .22 at 14-15 fpe doesn't over penetrate (for me anyway, may be different if using higher powered guns).

Last Edited:
Quite true as well. Know your backstop limitations. If your neighbors can see in your windows, using something with limited range might be an attractive option.

My rife.... short range small game targets... I just use the lighter grain pellets and crank the PSI's all the way down. It might take a couple shots to see the POI change, but that's what a good scopes for, right!? Do it a few times at known PSI's and distances, it's real simple to switch up your shooting configuration without any effort.

I never really went down the PCP rabbit hole and only own 1 rifle now. Intending it to be a "jack of all trades" capable, but typically it's used for medium sized game and longer distances. It takes too many "tweeters" or munks/field rats/similiar to make a full meal... and I'm just too lazy to put in that much effort to feed myself. 🤣

That is the Sage Rat known as Steve.
Steve the Sage Rat enjoys long walks in the desert looking for food and places to homestead in.
Steve is very gregarious and loves to invite his friends over to visit.
Be advised that Steve is very allergic to lead....especially when it is coming in his direction at almost any velocity.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top