JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is this a sage rat?

20230514_102229.jpg

Well, yeah.

Actually, 'sage rat' is a rather generic term for any number of small, ground squirrel-like rodents, the most common of which is the Belding's ground squirrel.
Thank you I appreciate that. They call them prairie dogs down here but they definitely aren't prairie dogs because I've seen those before. I'm not much of a hunter, but my goodness there's about 40 of them on the acreage I'm on right now. I would thin The Herd but the neighbors are too close by to just go waving my 38 around trying to stalk up on them :p . The ground is too hard I wouldn't want to risk a Ricochet even with a 22. Plus I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate the noise😬

Prairie dogs are much larger; three to four times bigger than sage rats.

I'd recommend picking up a decent .177 or .22 caliber pellet gun. They are legal to shoot in most places. just be careful. You might want to check with the local PD or sheriff's office too.

And if it's good to go, invite the neighbor over to 'play' too, cuz if the critters are on your property, they are probably on the neighbor's place too.

I got a bb gun, but ya hafta shoot them a number of times to actually kill one
Yeah I'd like to avoid that. Not being much of a hunter I kind of want a drop them in their tracks kind of result. I'm not really a big fan of dispatching Critters but if they are becoming a problem like these are I don't mind looking at it as a job. Old farm boy here:p.

And I don't want anyone to think that I am implying that hunters don't care about a critter suffering 90% of hunters I know are very humane and honorable individuals.

Most BB guns just don't have enough 'umph' to get the job done right. Good, 'hunting' style pellet rifles should do it with one well placed shot.
I have a double barrel 410 that would actually work quite well but I don't want to upset the neighbors with the noise. That would be my first choice because they are definitely close enough to snipe out of the back of my trailer if I wanted to. I just moved out here for work I don't want to get the neighbors upset before they get to know me😬

One option is a pcp airgun. 5 fox squirrels (bigger than sage rat) killed with 5 shots in last two days with pcp airgun pistol. Dropped like a stone. They come in all different flavors and price points. Mines a cheaper one but still shoots 1/2" groups at 25 yards with the right pellet. Expensive ones can have same hole accuracy at that range.

008181C3-3FB9-428A-AA3F-B3439A5330B7.jpeg

One option is a pcp airgun. 5 fox squirrels (bigger than sage rat) killed with 5 shots in last two days with pcp airgun pistol. Dropped like a stone. They come in all different flavors and price points. Mines a cheaper one but still shoots 1/2" groups at 25 yards with the right pellet. Expensive ones can have same hole accuracy at that range.

View attachment 1421948
Break barrel?

It won't be when you hit it with a .17HMR and turn it into pink mist. But currently yes it is a sage rat. Haha.

View attachment 1421948
I'll 2nd a PCP.
1684088855512.jpeg

Great fun, a good setup can drive tacks at some incredible distances and all you hear is a quiet "click". Mines a .25 cal. and will dispatch a yote. A bit overkill for sage rats, but with the right ammo it can shoot up to 1300fps and really reach out and touch a rat. As stated, they come in all flavors and sizes.

Sage rats also cook/stew up rather nicely. Eat what you kill.👍

I'll 2nd a PCP.
View attachment 1421956

Great fun, a good setup can drive tacks at some incredible distances and all you hear is a quiet "click". Mines a .25 cal. and will dispatch a yote. A bit overkill for sage rats, but with the right ammo it can shoot up to 1300fps and really reach out and touch a rat. As stated, they come in all flavors and sizes.

:s0170:prairie dogs are known carriers of black plague. No thanks...lol

I'll 2nd a PCP.
View attachment 1421956

Is a .177 better and more flat shooting? These critters are pretty small. I'm thinking high velocity with a flat trajectory would probably be ideal.

Is a .177 better and more flat shooting? These critters are pretty small. I'm thinking high velocity with a flat trajectory would probably be ideal.
IMO its a personal choice. The larger and heavier pellets carry more energy longer distances. I would recommend .22 or greater personally. Having said that you can make up a lot with accuracy. A smaller foot pounds of energy (FPE) .177 gun that is super accurate and can consistently deliver the pellet to the earhole for example. But a heavier bullet gives you more flexibility. The airforce gun posted by Yarome FE gives a huge range of what critters it can take due to power and accuracy both. A larger bullet will generally give you more flexibillity as to the type of shot you can take (fe you can confidently shoot vitals/chest area vs waiting for earhole/soft pallate shot etc).

There is give and take and depends what your intended usage is. Closer range and small game that's probably a valid choice. A larger caliber is less susceptible to wind shift so for longer range and/or larger game it's better suited, IMHO. The larger caliber also opens up more pellet/slug options... like some of the 44g and 47g's.

As usual... it depends. 👍

IMO its a personal choice. The larger and heavier pellets carry more energy longer distances. I would recommend .22 or greater personally. Having said that you can make up a lot with accuracy. A smaller foot pounds of energy (FPE) .177 gun that is super accurate and can consistently deliver the pellet to the earhole for example. But a heavier bullet gives you more flexibility. The airforce gun posted by Yarome FE gives a huge range of what critters it can take due to power and accuracy both. A larger bullet will generally give you more flexibillity as to the type of shot you can take (fe you can confidently shoot vitals/chest area vs waiting for earhole/soft pallate shot etc).
He beat me. 🖕What he said.....👍

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads