JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In 1994, The US and Great Britain convinced the new Ukrainian leadership to give up their nuclear weapons in exchange for $175 Million and the promise that they would protect Ukraine if things went bad with Russia. "Give up your protection and we will protect you". How is that going now?
Not good apparently :rolleyes:

In 1975, the Khmer Rough won the Cambodian revolution. They rounded up all the peoples' guns, telling them, "you no longer need them. We will protect you".
In 1978ish? Communist Vietnam engaged in a border war with Communist China and despite China's warnings/actions; defeated the Khmer Rouge and occupied Cambodia for a while.
About the late 80s or early 90s, I want to say that time frame? The horror of the Khmer Rouge regime came out; and we apparently became business/trade partners with Vietnam in the 90s?

Now in America, politicians who can't control street crime and can't manage to win a war against a fourth world country like Iraq or Afghanistan want you to give up your self-defense, because, they will protect you.
Never heard of Iraq and Afghanistan referred as "fourth world". As for the domestic policies... yeah. Show me one nation thats giving out guns to citizens and I'll show you the nation thats being basically abandoned by the NATO/EU/,US politicians.

There are some pretty huge differences between what is happening in Ukraine and what might happen here. Invasion of the US by an external threat is pretty unlikely at present in my opinion - not many powers want to face the US military on their home turf, and having oceans on either side makes an excellent defensive barrier. An opposing force would need to resupply, and a lot can go wrong with a supply chain that stretches across an ocean.

I think civil war is also pretty unlikely, as I don't see any US state governments having the political will, military might, and public support to secede from the union. Could there be warring factions that vye for dominance of the existing US? Sure, but still unlikely. Such groups would need tens of millions of followers, strong leadership, and a compelling justification for violent actions that the public would generally support. I just don't see that happening in the US as it stands today.

Widespread civil unrest is another story. We've seen it happen before on a smaller scale (election riots, George Floyd riots, CHOP, etc.), and there wasn't much that could be done to stop them. I think the US is a powder keg right now thanks to years of polarization by extremes of both political parties. It will take more than a little spark to ignite, but it's certainly more of a possibility than the alternatives.

How you could use the Ukraine situation to bolster support for 2A here in the US? I think that would be a hard sell. Most citizens aren't arming up to fight a war. They are arming up to defend themselves from criminals. There isn't a common enemy to point to, and a lot of people don't see crime in person, just on the news, so for them it isn't a real immediate concern - it's a problem that other people have.

I think it would take an economic crisis combined with supply shortages, widespread rioting, and numerous acts of highly visible violent crime before the average suburbanite concludes they really do need an AR15 after all. I sincerely hope none of that happens.
"There wasn't much that could be done to stop them." - not quite. If a public service announcement went out that anyone looting stores, setting fire to buildings or otherwise damaging property would be shot on site. It would have cost a few lives, but the message would be clear and it would have wrapped up shortly.

This might sound heinous, but consider how many lives it already cost by doing what they did (kinda nothing), probably would have been less lives with the above approach.

Most people are smart enough to know you can't cross an ocean and land troops in North America. Its not just "unlikely" its basically impossible.

Foreigners that want to mess with the US need only invest in propagating stupid culture war nonsense and conspiracy theories.

And I bet that Putin wouldn't mind taking AK back
Don't think for a second he hasn't thought about it....

In 1994, The US and Great Britain convinced the new Ukrainian leadership to give up their nuclear weapons in exchange for $175 Million and the promise that they would protect Ukraine if things went bad with Russia. "Give up your protection and we will protect you". How is that going now?

In 1975, the Khmer Rough won the Cambodian revolution. They rounded up all the peoples' guns, telling them, "you no longer need them. We will protect you".

Now in America, politicians who can't control street crime and can't manage to win a war against a fourth world country like Iraq or Afghanistan want you to give up your self-defense, because, they will protect you.
"Now in America, politicians who can't control street crime and can't manage to win a war against a fourth world country like Iraq or Afghanistan want you to give up your self-defense, because, they will protect you."

Good points. I was thinking about how we can't (or won't) prevent thefts. Theft would seem like a relatively easy crime to manage and solve. Imagine if the bad guys started murdering people at the same rate as theft takes place now. The Authorities would be so overwhelmed they couldn't begin to solve the problem. Imagine calling to report a murder and having 911 tell you to fill out a report online.

I think RAH had the right answer:

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

And it's not only working, it's ahead of schedule
Luckily America is more than just the west and most of the east coast. I think a bigger portion of the US actually enjoy our base values. In Ohio now and it's a million miles from Portland. Cold as a witches..well, cold but no tent cities, graphiti, a little city pride and in some places, a lot of money.

I am guilty of being bamboozled too. It's why the media and entertainment skip over middle America. They don't want the millions bookending the US to be reminded hundreds of millions still love America.

Well, local gas price jumped $0.20 in one day, so there's that. Ya think ammo shortage/price might get worse???
I'd say anything that's used in Ukraine, so all comblock plus NATO will increase in demand and price quickly. This is pretty much what anyone into preparedness but hasn't plugged all the holes yet is looking for as well. I'd bet that nervous prepper demand will be at least equal to the war demand.

Everything else will be hampered by the resulting usage or primers and powders.

Well, local gas price jumped $0.20 in one day, so there's that. Ya think ammo shortage/price might get worse???
I think this could spark a new buying spree, at least for items that people may feel will be prohibited for further importation. We have already seen renewed interest in 7.62x39 steel cased ammo.

I'd say anything that's used in Ukraine, so all comblock plus NATO will increase in demand and price quickly. This is pretty much what anyone into preparedness but hasn't plugged all the holes yet is looking for as well. I'd bet that nervous prepper demand will be at least equal to the war demand.

Everything else will be hampered by the resulting usage or primers and powders.
Spot on I think!

I think this could spark a new buying spree, at least for items that people may feel will be prohibited for further importation.
I am pretty sure it will and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing; at least some of those people may be new preppers, or existing preppers who looked at, thought about, what they had, and decided maybe they should stock up on more.

I think the more people who open their eyes as to the possibilities, the better.

I am pretty sure it will and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing; at least some of those people may be new preppers, or existing preppers who looked at, thought about, what they had, and decided maybe they should stock up on more.

I think the more people who open their eyes as to the possibilities, the better.
kayak-open-your-eyes-sb-commercial.jpg

I think this could spark a new buying spree, at least for items that people may feel will be prohibited for further importation. We have already seen renewed interest in 7.62x39 steel cased ammo.
Unfortunately the price of gas is going to go up even further once they shut down SWIFT and Russia closes the tap to Europe.

More than 20 cents for the short term.

Of course talking heads on TV will blame this entirely on Biden, and while shutting down native supply is part of it, and surely the end result of a democratic program, I suspect no one in the news will break down piece by piece the numerous factors, many of them foreign, which increase gas prices like we're going to see.

We can either let Europe feed Putin petrodollars as he grows increasingly erratic or pay more at the pump.

I drive a diesel, though, and get like 55mpg. It's nice.

Dude to be fair the "4th world Afghanistan" tribal fighters are undefeated going back to the Bronze Age. Ghengis Kahn and the Mughals won temporary occupations by slaughtering literally every man and exporting every woman as a slave. But then the boys grew up.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top