JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been carrying since 95'. I'm a skinny guy and have always been an OWB fan as carrying IWB was very uncomfortably (painful). 4:00 worked fine even in the car. BUT, considering the up-tic in carjacking, I'm changing to a cross draw appendix carry. I just haven't found the right holster to do that yet. Looks like I'm going to have to remove my firearm after being seated in my car and stash it where I can draw it while in my seat belt.

Being as I am just under 6' tall / 165#, and carry " larger " model handguns @ 4 o'clock IWB, I can verify that a custom ~ $150.00 holster on a proper belt can make a great difference in comfort / print / accessibility.

Of course, it depends on what value one may put on actually surviving a close encounter of the messy kind.o_O

Totally agree with this, Milt Sparks Nexus and Bigfoot Gunbelt makes carrying a combat commander easy peasy.

353814AD-3DE5-4CD8-8039-D7931F333DF7.jpeg

IWB are not for me! I suppose because I'm a big guy that depends on my belt to actually work and not just look good so sticking things in between it and me is not good. I have tried, really hard, spent much money on many supposed to be the cats meow, but no, always a constant irritant.. Worse when bending or sitting...
OWB cannot be beat, however if I absolutely must do without, I am able to go with the ankle rig. When work or other occasions wouldn't fit with a OWB, long ago for over a decade I carried a snub ruger 357 on the shank daily, later a Glock 26 daily, and now a sig 365, sometimes. All work exceptionally well and comfortable in an ankle holster (for me) except now that age is complicating everything, getting to it is a challenge. Not winning any draws there.

So I've been carrying now for a little while, and to preface this I'm a fat guy and I carry at the 4:00 position strong side. After reading all the hype regarding IWB I went with a kydex holster For my G19 clone. Which turned out to be one of the most uncomfortable experiences I have ever had. Not only was it uncomfortable it printed badly in almost every cover garment.

Did you up your pants one size? It is critical to do so with IWB for comfort. I also suspect your Kydex holster to be an elcheapo POS, there is no way a IWB holster of equal qualty prints more than an OWB. Just like leather, not all Kydex holsters are equal. IWB by nature conceals better. I'd bet if that IWB was a Kramer #3 it would be a different storty for you.

Looking for something better I decided to try my other pistol (1911 Sig carry) which is in a canted leather OWB rig. The difference was night and day. It's immensely more comfortable and conceals with any of my cover garments for me, I also carry a double mag pouch at 8:00 also OWB and I have no issues with either printing or discomfort.

The 1911 is easy and comfortable to conceal despite it's size and weight because of it's slimness.

I also haven't felt that the rig is too heavy which surprised me with how some go on and on about how heavy the 1911 is. I have noticed however I have had to switch to a front pocket wallet as my holster sits above my rear pocket a bit.

Have you carried it long term? They are heavy and thay can wear on you, espeically if you have any lower back issues.

Any one have a similar experience to this? Or is this fairly typical for these respective types of carry for us bigger guys?

I find conceal carry is all about balance between comfort vs concealibilty, a couple of examples:
For comfort: OWB > IWB > AIWB
For concealment: AIWB > IWB > OWB

For the most part my overt and/or light bearing holsters are OWB Kydex (or other form plactic). For typical every day concealment (meaning mostly concealed but not overly concerned about discovery) is leather IWB leather. But if concealment is the critcal factor, meaning if discovered 100% translates to a gun fight, being fired or arrested, then AIWB Kydex all the way.

I'm skinny so 4:00 IWB is no problem with a .380 and prints not at all. OWB I would think just get some garb that hangs a little lower than your average wear. The cant makes a big difference and also using a pistol that isn't oversized.

LC9s in a Galco formed leather IWB clip-on at 4 o'clock. It never prints, even with a T-shirt and shorts, and it's so comfortable I forget it's there.

Geeze. How many times do I have to repeat myself..... Get a Versacarry. For bigger guys, total comfort, ease of draw.
Been using one for my compact 45 for at least five years now. It put a stop to my drawer(s) full of holsters expanding.
This thing just works. I can climb ladders with it, fall down stairs, load the trailer, etc.
https://versacarry.com/inside-the-waistband/zerobulk-holster/
Dayum….. I first read that as "get a vasectomy"…. these 20-hour days are killing me.

:confused:

Looks like some sort of kinky Swedish strap-on… "kit". :s0108:
It is definitely not traditional and has received lots of hate. That said it solves a problem for people not wearing pants and a gun belt. This is probably the most innovative well thought out product the firearm industry has seen in a while.

It is definitely not traditional and has received lots of hate. That said it solves a problem for people not wearing pants and a gun belt. This is probably the most innovative well thought out product the firearm industry has seen in a while.

So, it's the solution for the armed "wearing pajama-pants and flip-flops in public" (or in Walmart), demographic!

:s0140:

So I've been carrying now for a little while, and to preface this I'm a fat guy and I carry at the 4:00 position strong side. After reading all the hype regarding IWB I went with a kydex holster For my G19 clone. Which turned out to be one of the most uncomfortable experiences I have ever had. Not only was it uncomfortable it printed badly in almost every cover garment.

Looking for something better I decided to try my other pistol (1911 Sig carry) which is in a canted leather OWB rig. The difference was night and day. It's immensely more comfortable and conceals with any of my cover garments for me, I also carry a double mag pouch at 8:00 also OWB and I have no issues with either printing or discomfort.

I also haven't felt that the rig is too heavy which surprised me with how some go on and on about how heavy the 1911 is. I have noticed however I have had to switch to a front pocket wallet as my holster sits above my rear pocket a bit.

Any one have a similar experience to this? Or is this fairly typical for these respective types of carry for us bigger guys?
Fat guy here too, I got so tired of heavy holsters and the like I just started wearing a heavy work vest daily and using a pocket holster that fits just right into my chest inner pocket. The weight is no longer an issue on my pants and it's quite easy to pull. Very secure in the pocket as well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top