JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dumb people doing dumb things on NW 5th Ave in Portland. None of these folks should be carrying a gun IMHO. Just too much testosterone and no common sense. Only one Darwin award winner.

If for some reason the Oregonian blocks the story, here is the YouTube link to the video:

Jump to the 40 second mark if you want to see the shooting start. look at the 9 o'clock position in the video.

Dumb people doing dumb things on NW 5th Ave in Portland. None of these folks should be carrying a gun IMHO. Just too much testosterone and no common sense. Only one Darwin award winner.

If for some reason the Oregonian blocks the story, here is the YouTube link to the video:

Jump to the 40 second mark if you want to see the shooting start. look at the 9 o'clock position in the video.
Really thorough article which is typical
Of Maxine Bernstein. One of the few reporters to print all the facts and details.

From what I understand it sounds like dude in red shirt (abbot) who died had a Glock with Glock switch. Also sounds like he drew first. The other guy (manny) was acquitted by grand jury. The guy in red shirt had a friend behind him (ross) who got shot in the crossfire. Ross is suing Manny in civil court.

Sounds like Manny knocked abbot over after Abbott was harassing some homeless. Then abbot drew the auto Glock.

Manny was on duty at the night club, had a CHL, but wasn't authorized to have a gun at work, as I understand it.

Last Edited:
So, at the 0:48 mark, someone hits the pavement at the intersection, just off the sidewalk, and remains there throughout the rest of the video, as cars and peds go by without offering any assistance. WTH is that all about? Is that the person who got killed? Seems to be a ways away from where the giggled Glock was going off... :s0092:

So, at the 0:48 mark, someone hits the pavement at the intersection, just off the sidewalk, and remains there throughout the rest of the video, as cars and peds go by without offering any assistance. WTH is that all about? Is that the person who got killed? Seems to be a ways away from where the giggled Glock was going off... :s0092:
i kept thinking one of those cars was going to run him over.

I think it almost has to be Ross. He's the only one that got shot enough (3 times). Abbot ran off then died.

Interesting about how the medic woman ran toward the sound of gunfire and then followed the blood trail to Ross. That's what I mean about reporter publishing tons of details. We never see those details (or often even the facts) about shootings in press reports (maybe On bbc but not most news places).

i kept thinking one of those cars was going to run him over.

I think it almost has to be Ross. He's the only one that got shot enough (3 times). Abbot ran off then died.

Interesting about how the medic woman ran toward the sound of gunfire and then followed the blood trail to Ross. That's what I mean about reporter publishing tons of details. We never see those details (or often even the facts) about shootings in press reports (maybe On bbc but not most news places).
This doesn't make any sense...

First this:
"...Abbott collapsed about a block away near West Burnside and Fourth Avenue and was taken by ambulance to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 10:16 p.m, according to police reports..."

And then this:
"...Morrison [the female former combat medic] followed a blood trail on the east sidewalk of Fifth Avenue, between Couch and Burnside streets, south to Burnside and around the corner to the east. There, she found Abbott on the ground suffering from multiple wounds, according to the police reports. She applied a tourniquet to his thigh and put pressure on one of his chest wounds..."

o_O :s0092: o_O :s0092: o_O :s0092: o_O :s0092: o_O :s0092: o_O :s0092: o_O

This doesn't make any sense...

First this:
"...Abbott collapsed about a block away near West Burnside and Fourth Avenue and was taken by ambulance to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 10:16 p.m, according to police reports..."

And then this:
"...Morrison [the female former combat medic] followed a blood trail on the east sidewalk of Fifth Avenue, between Couch and Burnside streets, south to Burnside and around the corner to the east. There, she found Abbott on the ground suffering from multiple wounds, according to the police reports. She applied a tourniquet to his thigh and put pressure on one of his chest wounds..."

o_O :s0092: o_O :s0092: o_O :s0092: o_O :s0092: o_O :s0092: o_O :s0092: o_O
I read that as: 1) Glock boy stumbles away, 2) medic finds him and applies tourniquet, 3) later on ambulance takes him away and he dies (or was dead)

I find the position of Manny interesting in light of Clint Smith's training to not be seen as the aggressor. Manny initially stood his ground as abbot approached him, and then abbot charged manny. Then manny stepped back as the gunfight ensued. He continued stepping back and into cover (or at least it looks like cover but could be the lighting). Really reminds me of Clint Smith training about moving back and passive actions. Note im not at all implying he had that training, just reminds me of it. Here we see the passive actions on video. One of Clint's big things is that bystanders will see you backing up (passive action) and in this case the video shows that.

These screenshots from the video are in sequence. First ones show Abbot approaching manny (abbot is red arrow and manny is blue, watch the position of blue arrow relative to the tree to see him backing up as shooting starts)
B5E1B0A7-47C9-4785-A33C-D554516B2A95.jpeg
AF6C9E6E-BF86-4BD5-A4D2-ECD39146A949.jpeg
63377FAB-CA69-4B5D-8F6D-7D4EA06A198B.jpeg
Here abbot is in manny's face
6B317809-F1A4-4642-886E-82C7C6792E9C.jpeg

Here shooting starts and notice position of blue arrow relative to the tree
3751551F-C199-4F62-A3A1-DDA415D06273.jpeg
3FAE9767-9BBA-46A6-B587-9F2EB2CF2EB1.jpeg
Heading into cover
C678BA98-6512-47CC-B940-0D9A120ED6DA.jpeg
In cover
0DFEA9EA-C069-4A03-BCF0-BB39102E65D1.jpeg
The sequence of abbot approaching, abbot charging, Manny backing up, really does make it look like Manny is defending, not being the aggressor.

Last Edited:
I read that as: 1) Glock boy stumbles away, 2) medic finds him and applies tourniquet, 3) later on ambulance takes him away and he dies (or was dead)
One would think, for clarity's sake, that the reporter could've added that the medic treated Abbott before the ambulance arrived...
The combat medic was introduced far too late in the story, IMHO. Had she been introduced earlier in the story, the reporting could've gone like this:

"...Abbott collapsed about a block away near West Burnside and Fourth Avenue, and was treated by Morrison and was later taken by ambulance to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 10:16 p.m, according to police reports..."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top