JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, I was wrong, it is coming and it does bother me. Unlike the NO eggs and NO toilet paper fake shortages we had earlier, this will have real shortages, not imaginary ones, behind the frantic panic emptying of stores. Stock it deep while it's cheap right now brothers. It's coming.

My husband has not seen toilet paper in Walmart for OVER a month if not longer now.

I usually post in Mike's one thread about shortages but I wanted to throw this in since you mentioned this.

He did see it TWICE in Costco in the same time frame. One time was sheer luck and the other time - it was just put out.

There are still MANY SHORTAGES here in ALL of our stores in various items from food to paper goods.

And that includes basic bar soap many times too. ZERO Kirk's Castile - it has been OUT OF STOCK for a LONG time but we have some on hand. IT has been out of stock ALL OF THIS TIME and not too many places sell it here.

SIMPLE, plain ORIGINAL IVORY SOAP has been OUT many times too. We have some on hand but I have him get some IF he sees it. One or two packs because we do NOT use and can't use the PERFUMED soaps with other STUFF added IN due to allergies.

We are good with Dr. Bronner's soap for now so I did not have him hunt for or buy any of that.

Cate

Last Edited:
We have been working on/using up our MEAT kept in the large deep freezer in the super insulated garage.

I do not know if my husband wants to CAN some of it this week or not.

We have a bunch of the Kirkland brand canned chicken on hand too.

I deliberately bought a SMALLER refrigerator compared to what I used to own, back east, when I built this house. We use the smaller freezer in that too.

If something happens to the deep freezer in the garage, we will CAN or DRY a bunch of meat because freezers are HARD to find across this country now from what I am seeing or we will get a LARGER refrigerator that will HOLD the other meat in it - freezer side.

I asked him if he saw one in Home Depot on Saturday and he said that he did not see ONE freezer. He did not ask a salesman about any freezers.

He walked into HD, got what he needed and came home. He did not browse or shop.

The generator has had it's weekly RUN and the small amount of fuel kept on hand due to where we live is always topped off.

Cate

Trump announced he is signing an order to suspend ALL immigration into the USA.

This is basically a fatal blow to the agriculture industry, who relies on legal migrant workers to come to the country and work their fields, harvest their crops, and slaughter their livestock.

Good luck everyone!

This is basically a fatal blow to the agriculture industry, who relies on legal migrant workers to come to the country and work their fields, harvest their crops, and slaughter their livestock.

Good luck everyone!

Alternatively, could lead to industry adjustments over time. Challenging for sure, but adjustments none the less.

My husband has not seen toilet paper in Walmart for OVER a month if not longer now.

I usually post in Mike's one thread about shortages but I wanted to throw this in since you mentioned this.

He did see it TWICE in Costco in the same time frame. One time was sheer luck and the other time - it was just put out.

There are still MANY SHORTAGES here in ALL of our stores in various items from food to paper goods.

And that includes basic bar soap many times too. ZERO Kirk's Castile - it has been OUT OF STOCK for a LONG time but we have some on hand. IT has been out of stock ALL OF THIS TIME and not too many places sell it here.

SIMPLE, plain ORIGINAL IVORY SOAP has been OUT many times too. We have some on hand but I have him get some IF he sees it. One or two packs because we do NOT use and can't use the PERFUMED soaps with other STUFF added IN due to allergies.

We are good with Dr. Bronner's soap for now so I did not have him hunt for or buy any of that.

Cate
For soap I order from a place back home (Glacier Valley Soap in Girdwood, AK) that does a lot of really nice and cr@p-free soaps as I have allergies that are exacerbated by additives and dyes. They have a lot of great stuff and I highly recommend ordering from her (1-woman operation...:).

Trump's threat of total immigration ban ignites outrage, confusion

"Trump tweeted late Monday night.
In light of the attack from the Invisible Enemy, as well as the need to protect the jobs of our GREAT American Citizens, I will be signing an Executive Order to temporarily suspend immigration into the United States!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 21, 2020 "

"Prior to Monday's announcement, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services had already stopped all in-person services for new visas and green cards, with naturalization ceremonies on hold until at least May. "

edit (adding):

I usually post in MIKE'S good thread about grocery stores, shortages, crazy shoppers, etc. but I will put this here now.

My husband did not go early to Costco today because he saw that mess one time and he never went there again super early for so called senior/handicapped days.

He did not go there @ 10AM when they open up normally for all people.

He went there about 11:30 AM or so. When the roads are NOT super busy in the valley it does not take too long to get to Costco from our home. Reserve street which is one of several main streets in this valley gets crazy busy when things are NORMAL.

He did NOT have to wait in line and the LINES are still there so you can be SPACED APART.

There were MANY WA STATE people there again TODAY.

(Since ALL of this started with a STAY AT HOME deal and SHORTAGES on all of OUR shelves HERE in my town not just in YOUR states or towns we have had TONS of WA state shoppers, many Oregon, many Idaho, all MT counties in this area, and some people TRAVELING from other states. OLD thread elsewhere.)

Today:

Many Idaho people were there. He did not see any Oregon plates. He did see people from ALL Montana counties including people from the Flathead area, up north - Kalispell, not just our area with #4 plates on. There IS a Costco up there in Kalispell and in a few other places in this state as I have previously mentioned. Bozeman, Billings, etc. And THIS was at a later time of morning and later for the EARLY opening people too.

The WA state people and a few ID people had MANY YETI BRAND COOLERS per person/couple/family and they were stocking up a LOT in the MEAT AREA - BIG time!

BEEF prices went UP and not just in the front cooler section. He gets a Costco butcher to help him and he usually buys one or two BIG pieces of BEEF and my husband cuts it at HOME here. He is a VERY good meat cutter and a good husband. Thank you husband! LOL He is NOT a professional butcher but he cuts things just right for the 2 of us. Plus he has hunted since he was a kid for elk, deer, etc.

He got a Costco roasted chicken - same price @ $4.99.

I think that he said that pork prices were up but he did not buy any bacon, pork or ham.

BEEF was up 59 Cents to over $1.00 and MORE per pound in various cuts in the FRONT SECTION and from the BACK SECTION where the BUTCHER HELPS YOU and the pieces are much BIGGER.

The toilet paper section actually had a pretty good stock which he had NOT seen for a LONG, long time as mentioned ABOVE and in Mike's thread. He bought one package there. They had paper towels, napkins and Kleenex there THIS morning.

Maybe, the stockers just FILLED IT UP AGAIN from the super EARLY in and out of state shoppers?

He did not get any canned veggies or fruit since we are okay there. He buys them in a case. So he does NOT get a case EVERY single week. It depends on what we are cooking.

I do not know if canned tomatoes or plain sauce went up. We are okay there.

Our FRESH potatoes, onions and carrots are fine. We have FRESH fruit in the refrigerator.

He did get some extra MADE in MT Amish style noodles that we like.

He did SEE 25 pound bags of rice in stock.

He did NOT see ANY DRIED BEANS at all.

He did SEE canned beans in stock.

FRED'S appliances are totally OUT of ALL FREEZERS. Waiting list and they MAY only get a couple in May AND the PLANTS THAT MAKE THEM ARE ALL CLOSED! HD was OUT - previous thread. I am sure the other places are out too.

He just got home from Fred's and wanted to SEE what was going on there.

ALL of the plants STILL being closed and NOT making some items are HURTING the workers, the buyers and not just the appliance stores.

Take care.

Cate

Wilsonville Costco on Monday morning (20 APR) at 11:00 had no line to get in so I went.... having skipped it each time I saw a line. They had everything apart from vinegar and a few other PPE items.

I haven't been there in over a month. They have closed every other register to create separation, have sneeze guards at registers too. 90 plus percent of workers have masks, as do shoppers. Sterilizing the carts before you take them.

They weee stacked with TP and PT, cleaners, bleach, food, pasta, spam (spam is now $20.99, up from 18.99 last mont), and more fresh veggies, fruit, meat, poultry and fish than ever, including cheeses, dairy and eggs. Low on rice and didn't see any dried beans.

I think will be fine so long as the trucks keep running and the farmers keep farming and ranchers keep ranching..... I'll do my own fishing :)

Where did you read that? A link would be helpful.

Honest question, you're not asking the same question to anyone part of your "tribe", are you?

Q #1: Post 107

Q#2: I've probably had that convo about 30-40 times with folks from both tribes...surprised you've not seen it. Several here probably don't like me for it either...but it is what it is.

Good luck everyone!
Because crops can only be harvested by Mexican nationals and we have no one who's otherwise unemployed?

Because crops can only be harvested by Mexican nationals and we have no one who's otherwise unemployed?

Nothing has changed just because people are unemployed; generally, mostly immigrant/migrant labor are the only people willing to work minimum wage harvesting crops. Most people on UI will take the UI benefits and not even look for ag work.

It is hard back breaking work, it is mostly outside in the weather and it only lasts for a little while (a few weeks for a given crop), and depending on the weather/etc., you may not work all week.

Let's take strawberries for example; lat May at the soonest, June more likely, into July, maybe August. Depending on the farm, they may not be picking every day of the week if they run out of ripe crop. You get out there at sunrise or thereabouts (5-6 AM) and work until maybe 4PM - we had one guy work for us that was always out there first before 5AM. That early in the morning it can be a bit cold - if the farmer uses irrigation or there is dew, that makes even colder and the ground can be muddy.

You are on your knees and bending over or standing and bending over, depending on how fast you can pick. Sensitive to pesticides? Allergic to strawberries? Forget it. Don't like bugs or snakes (garter snakes) or dealing with mold or rotten fruit or deer/bird crap? Probably won't like it. Can't pick fast enough? You won't be asked back.

I did this from the time I was 5-6 years old for about 12 years. Rarely was anybody except migrant labor worth a damn - and even those of us who grew up with it, couldn't keep up with them.

We had many legal farm workers from different countries and Americans (All ages!) who farmed in my former state where I lived with my late husband for over 30 years.

They worked close to me since I lived in the boonies in farm/lake country. They farmed all kinds of crops too. I only owned one acre of land and was surrounded by farm fields and some woods too.

We had the same thing on the East Coast too. Legal workers and honest farmers who hired them every single year. Plus their FAMILIES worked on the farms and not just in Amish country.

I saw the news in the wee hours and footage of HUGE FIELDS of crops being DESTROYED and it made me sick.

Cate

Q#2: I've probably had that convo about 30-40 times with folks from both tribes...surprised you've not seen it. Several here probably don't like me for it either...but it is what it is.

And some of us respect you even more for it. Thank you to you and the other mods and staff for doing as you do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top