JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Girlfriend just read on Facebook that the governer of Michigan banned people from buying seeds? Anybody heard of this crap?

Heard of such rumor out of Vermont, however has since been proved to be simply some type of click bait. Vermont notes seed sales as essential.

Perhaps some type of sick whack job click baiting in the Michigan story as well.

Tons upon tons of whack job click baiting going on amidst this...

Hot sauce will be a good thing to have around if food supplies get low. A few weeks ago we stocked up on Siracha, Tabasco and a few other kinds. If food supplies get low and I have to eat the neighbors cat or other critter I am going to want something to kill the taste

I like the Sriracha in soup, Pho or Ramen. For tater tots I like ketchup or Frank's Red Hot which I will sometimes drink right from the bottle (what, you dont?)
I use to be able to do drink Franks or Tapatio. Well until the stomach ulcers caught up with me. Now it's nothing spicer then Victorias mild sauce. It also didn't help eating Mexican coworkers Carolina reaper or Muruga scorpion salsas.

Some places, including WA & OR, are looking to "re-start" the economy.
Which besides being a stupid phrase, it probably means lifting some restrictions.

What things/conditions need to be in place before the governors do this?

I say:
Generally available masks, to the general public, in particular, surgical style and N95+
Generally available hand sanitizer,
Generally available gloves, the "exam" styles.
Business can enforce a 6 foot zone - many retail. But, personal contact like barbers, no.

??
Shoe sales OK, but not shoe salesman - or should all clothing be banned from being tried on, still?

Hmm, I diverge here. I support everyone running out and panic buying now. Buy lots, buy more, buy extra toilet paper and buy all the othlant buleberries, plant fruit trees, raise chickens, NOW. We here in my house have craploads stockpiled and this doesn't bother me at all, and maybe if they get off their asses and get it done the sheeple won't need to pound on my door and ask us to share when it goes bad. I encourage panic buying. Buy it all, buy it now, buy more. Stock it deep, stock it .....hmmm. Just don't come bothering me when it goes bad is my advice to neighbors, cause we've been paying the price now to be stocking and prepping and have done so for a long time and are ready. Other folks need to play catch up and I support their doing so.

OK, I was wrong, it is coming and it does bother me. Unlike the NO eggs and NO toilet paper fake shortages we had earlier, this will have real shortages, not imaginary ones, behind the frantic panic emptying of stores. Stock it deep while it's cheap right now brothers. It's coming.

I don't know how bad it will be, but with like other shortages, if we stock up now while there is something to stock up, we won't be the people waiting in lines to get what we need for each day. We also won't necessarily be competing for what there is on the shelves (or worse, that is left to be rationed out) because we will have most or all of what we need already in our stocks.

That is, if it gets bad. I don't know if it will get bad, or if there will just be some shortages but enough for everybody, or temporary or what. I always say prepare for the worst, hope for the best. It isn't hurting anybody right now to put some extra aside. If nothing bad happens, we can always just eat what we have stocked, rotate it out, save the extra for some other emergency.

If it gets bad, extra food allows you to avoid any ugliness that might ensue - look at people fighting over toilet paper :rolleyes: - think of what they will do if/when they get hungry. Avoiding being in the middle of that nastiness will be as important as avoiding not having enough food. If loved ones who didn't prepare need food, you can have extra for them - or you can barter.

Not sure it will come to all of that, but if you have the $ to prepare now (without hurting your ability to pay your bills), then it is better to have extra food later that you can eat if your $ runs low - you still have to eat regardless and food will only get more expensive even though farmers are throwing away crops/etc. now because restaurants/institutions are not buying it. Even during normal times, food gradually gets more expensive. If you buy shelf-stable foods, you can store it for a long time and rotate it out.

You can buy shelf stable dry whole milk (look for Nido in the stores - I noticed it was all gone at Winco), you can get flour and store it in vacuum sealed mylar with oxygen absorbers, you can get meat, fruit, veggies, meals in cans. You can get shelf-stable dried meals, lentils, split peas, rice - all forms of protein and carbs. Malto Meal, cream of wheat, grits, cream of rice, granola, nuts, dried berries. Tuna fish, salmon, soups (Winco often has sales on Progresso soups) canned and dried. Spices, baking powder, corn meal, flour, yeast, hominy - you can make bread with these.

You don't have to buy cases of this stuff if it will be hard - you can buy a little extra every time you go grocery shopping.

If it isn't needed now, just rotate it out - there will be a next time, and like I said, food gets more expensive as time goes on, it isn't like it is going to get cheaper.

Where is this all going ?? I went to Lowes today to get parts and materials. I went to Lowes because Home Depot had a line 40 people long waiting to get in. Lowes gave no f's at all and you walked in. I was masked and gloved and so was my wife, she works in an ER and if she was seen in public by coworkers with no PPE it would not go well.

There are less than 5% of the people wearing masks or other PPE at these locations. Distancing at Home Depot is enforced, and Lowes could care less. The American public does not give a sh*t what the CDC says, or the OHA in Oregon. These are not mandatory so the public extends an upraised middle finger to the "suggestion".

There is getting to be much division on social media. As a photographer / media person, I was posting my normal pictures on some pages. One moderator said we had to prove the pictures were not taken during the non essential travel times. Of course she was told to pound sand, and then when questioned why, she summarily banned about a dozen who questioned her, (myself included). She provided the usual rambling liberal discourse about how we all have to do what the government says in order that people will not be killed or die.

The governments attempt to try and control the public is becoming an unmitigated failure as the general public is clearly not listening or caring. If the government (s) keep trying to control this like they are, there is clearly going to be trouble unless the numbers of the infections and hospitalizations meets those bodies in the streets numbers they were talking about. The best good that can come out of this is that people , maybe, just maybe will realize just how full of sh*t their politicians and government honks really are.

The different demographics are reacting differently. The usual lib government loving people are going the full government party line thing. They have no problem criticizing anybody who thinks differently than they do. Others agree with the suggestions and abide by them but refuse to recluse themselves inside and go about a reasonably normal routine. Others are openly defiant and refuse to go with anything. The over laps between the

At this point, it is what it is, open it back up within reason and let the chips fall where they may. My normal routine is not really affected by all this, I despise crowds and large gatherings of people anyway, and most of my recreation is away from people . It is all getting to be nothing more than political football.

I hope that some of the people who got the free food still gave a bit of money to the farmer as a THANK YOU gift for his kindness.

I have read that many farmers are dumping MILK, eggs, etc. all over the country.

I have to talk to a few people next week and hear what is going on in farm/lake country.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads