JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
That's similar to what I was thinking blitzkrieg, I don't know if I'm just super paranoid or something, but with all the home invasions in the Puget Sound area recently you can never be too careful. Also, bgs could be scoping out your home and when you're chatting at the door with a neighbor or friend rush you into the house or something. I know that statistically it'll probably never happen but I don't want to be caught empty handed (gun wise) for even that small chance.

We are originally from a higher crime crazy place known as Central california and old habits die hard. Better safe than sorry

So if you answer the door, it's a normal person, and they extend their hand to shake it and greet you, you're gonna shake your gun at them???

Use the peep hole people. Check em out before you answer. Peek out the window. If they look shady or you don't know them, don't answer and let them go on their way. If you're expecting a package, put a note on the door instructing them to leave the package. If they don't, go pick up your package and be happy they didn't rush you at the door and attack you with it. There are just so many ways to get around feeling like you need to have a gun in your hand at the door.

If I knocked on my neighbors door, didn't know them well, and they had a hand behind their back I'd immediately be alert to it, suspicious, and uncomfortable. I don't understand how risking a bad reaction from someone else is worth it, especially when you can avoid the situation completely by other means.

And yeah, I don't answer the door either. I leave it to him as well, or we both ignore it. :s0155:

I shake hands with people I know.If someone comes to my door and looks 'normal' they are probaly a salesman or a JW,both to which I would tell them to get lost and not shake their hand.
Who else would want to shake your hand at your door?

Beside,you are inside your own home and can do as you please.If someone doesn't like you carrying to the door,they are welcome to get off my stoop ....NOW

The people arguing against this are making too big of deal over it. Maybe you don't want the neighbor kids to see it or their mom,so don't let them see it.Wear a long shirt to answer the door.Put a intercom at the door to ask who and what is up,if you feel uncomfortable not answering the door

Actually an intercom and a camera at the door is a very good idea.Then the bad guys won't look at it and you know what is to be expected.The people that know you will look directly at it and smile,so you will answer the door.
This can't be that expensive these days.This could be done at an apartment also

So as long as you aren't pointing it at people and they aren't trying to force their way in,there really is no problem answering the door with a gun in hand.

JMHO~

Get yourself a good holster and carry at all times, even in your home.

My trick for keeping my sidearm concealed from guests/persons that i do not want to know that i am packing, is to keep a light jacket or open front shirt on the back of a chair next to the door. If it is someone i do not know, or someone i do not wish to know i am carrying, i just slip on the jacket or shirt, before i open the door. Then your handgun is ready, but concealed. :s0155:

You must have missed my earlier comment where I said that even if I know the person I am answering the door armed because while it is open other persons or troubles may surface. This is why castles had door guards when the door was open. If it's someone I know I will holster the gun or put it back in the fanny pack I use about the house after I see they truly are alone. All my friends are pro gun and since I don't open to almost anyone else there's no problem

Sorry, I probably did. I didn't read everyone's comments before mine, just the OP. I get what you're saying, and to each their own, but I just don't think openly and obviously holding a gun when answering the door is necessary. And some of the normal people I'm referring to are kids looking for friends, selling stuff for school, parents knocking on their door because jr threw a ball in your yard, etc. I think those types of knocks on the door and interactions are more likely than being attacked. And I think there are plenty of ways to keep yourself safe and have peace of mind without scaring other people and potentially causing a problem where there was none. Again, JMO.

Btw, I agree with you, I'd probably be even more suspicious if I still lived in cali too. 'Place is full of crazies haha.

I shake hands with people I know.If someone comes to my door and looks 'normal' they are probaly a salesman or a JW,both to which I would tell them to get lost and not shake their hand.
Who else would want to shake your hand at your door?

The people arguing against this are making too big of deal over it. Maybe you don't want the neighbor kids to see it or their mom,so don't let them see it.Wear a long shirt to answer the door.Put a intercom at the door to ask who and what is up,if you feel uncomfortable not answering the door

Actually an intercom and a camera at the door is a very good idea.Then the bad guys won't look at it and you know what is to be expected.The people that know you will look directly at it and smile,so you will answer the door.
This can't be that expensive these days.This could be done at an apartment also

So as long as you aren't pointing it at people and they aren't trying to force their way in,there really is no problem answering the door with a gun in hand.

Who would want to shake your hand at the door? New neighbors who want to introduce themselves? Happens pretty often in my neighborhood anyway.

I don't think answering the door with a gun is a big deal (when concealed), I just don't agree with someone holding a gun in plain sight when answering the door, or having it behind their back with nowhere to put it safely and out of sight if the scary mystery person turns out not to be a threat and you need to free up your hands without scaring the crap out of people for no reason. Yeah, you can do what you like in your home and your life (I'm a big fan of it myself), but I still think gun owners have an obligation to act responsibly around other people, who may not find your/our behaviors normal. Call me crazy, but being confronted with a gun at someone's door is pretty menacing and an action that's just asking for conflict. On a personal note, if I knocked on my neighbor's door because my kid threw the dog's toy over in their yard, and they had a gun in hand, I'd feel threatened and they'd probably get mine aimed in their face. Probably wouldn't be a good situation for anyone.

Put up a fence around your property first line of defense ,then get a German Shepherd Dog he can here peanut butter being spread from across the street with windows closed second line of defense, and finally get married cuz there ain't nuttin worse than a pissed off women.

there I have done my good deed for the day

Seriously, I carry at home all the time, have a sidelight window next to the front door. Dogs alert me that someone is "out there". I look first, and sometimes answer with pistol in hand, especially if the knock comes at night, but ALWAYS out of sight. This makes for tactical surprise for possible bad guys and prevents "MWAG" calls to the sheriff. Regarding "shaking hands", conceal it behind you in your left hand.

Wow, that was rude and unnecessary...:s0077:

tumblr_lsgcivC9571qhxp92.jpg

So bunny,if you went to the neighbor's house and they had a gun,you would draw down on them?
You are on their porch. How would you tell the story? You went to their house and shot them.... don't see it working out for you.

Here's the thing. You live in the city and don't think it's necessary to have a gun in hand when answering the door?
You are officially a sheep and will,at some time have to deal with that standing.

I educated my neighbor right away that i would answer the door with a gun if he came over uninvited. So now he calls me from about 30 yards away,letting me know he;s coming to the door.
So the question is,is your safety more important than pissing off or distancing the neighbors?
What is more important?
My family would be more important. Maybe have a party to tell the neighbors that you carry around the house and to not be alarmed.You are very safe and knowledgeable about firearms.
May not work,but you will educate then about your beliefs Or is that less important than your safety?

You are a woman and won't be altered,but your logic is flawed.
YMMV

mjbskwim - Since you and redcap apparently missed the point and want to act like your absolute opinions to hypothetical scenarios are the epitome of right, and need my comments broken down and translated for you (not that it matters because you're the types that jump down anyone's throat if they don't agree with you.), here we go...

"if I knocked on my neighbor's door because my kid threw the dog's toy over in their yard, and they had a gun in hand, I'd feel threatened and they'd probably get mine aimed in their face. Probably wouldn't be a good situation for anyone."

"I'd feel threatened" - If a person answered the door holding a gun, I'm going to feel uncomfortable and threatened by it. If you two don't, whoopty-effin-do! Good for you big man. :s0155:

"probably" - This means, it is a possibility, not that it would happen. But thanks for sharing your condescending opinions to unreal situations.

"wouldn't be a good situation for anyone" - I thought this was a pretty clear statement but I guess not. It is my opinion that answering the door with a gun in your hand is the type of thing that is only going to cause a problem. Either you get the cops called on you and waste your time and theirs, you shoot someone because they're afraid for their life and draw, or you get shot because they draw for feeling in fear of their life. Tell me how any of those are good situations to be in?

If taking those kinds of risks and answering the door with a gun in hand makes you feel super uber safe or whatever, by all means.... *shrug* Not responding to anymore d-bag comments.

mjbskwim - Since you and redcap apparently can't read and want to act like your absolute opinions to hypothetical scenarios are the epitome of right, and need my comments broken down and translated for you (not that it matters because you're the types that jump down anyone's throat if they don't agree with you.), here we go...

"if I knocked on my neighbor's door because my kid threw the dog's toy over in their yard, and they had a gun in hand, I'd feel threatened and they'd probably get mine aimed in their face. Probably wouldn't be a good situation for anyone."

"I'd feel threatened" - If a person answered the door holding a gun, I'm going to feel uncomfortable and threatened by it. If you two don't, whoopty-effin-do! Good for you big man. :s0155:

"probably" - This means, it is a possibility, not that it would happen. But thanks for your sharing your condescending opinions to unreal situations.

"wouldn't be a good situation for anyone" - I thought this was a pretty clear statement but I guess not. It is my opinion that answering the door with a gun in your hand is the type of thing that is only going to cause a problem. Either you get the cops called on you and waste your time and theirs, you shoot someone because they're afraid for their life and draw, or you get shot because they draw for feeling in fear of their life. Tell me how any of those are good situations to be in?

If taking those kinds of risks and answering the door with a gun in hand makes you feel super uber safe or whatever, by all means.... *shrug* Anyway, go troll someone else. Not responding to anymore d-bag comments.

obvious-troll.jpg

I find answering the door with an AK keeps the conversations short with Watch Tower and Awake magazine bearing types. Get's you on the no fly list with the girl scouts too. :s0112:I'm kidding of course

I'm fortunate enough to live in the country with no neighbors and a long driveway. I Also have 4 dogs to get past before you get to the door.
At the beginning of my long driveway is a sign that says,(DANGER FIREARMS IN USE FOR SPORTING PURPOSES. FOR YOUR SAFETY KEEP OUT.)

If I lived in the city i would do as I do when I'm at a motel. Answer the door with the gun hidden in my hand as I peak around the door. If it is someone that needs to come in, I say ,"wait a minute I'll be right back", and holster my concealed weapon and let them in.

Answering the door with a gun - tucked behind me, may be a way to go. Have to consider that things are going to get worse. No visual gun to the door knocker, no holding it there - that is just too much. I don't need some magazine salesperson calling 911 saying I threatened them with a gun. If - in that .0001% scenario were I answered the door unarmed at 2am to find an armed intruder - I would be so frickin pissed! - at myself.

Sorry, I probably did. I didn't read everyone's comments before mine, just the OP. I get what you're saying, and to each their own, but I just don't think openly and obviously holding a gun when answering the door is necessary. And some of the normal people I'm referring to are kids looking for friends, selling stuff for school, parents knocking on their door because jr threw a ball in your yard, etc. I think those types of knocks on the door and interactions are more likely than being attacked. And I think there are plenty of ways to keep yourself safe and have peace of mind without scaring other people and potentially causing a problem where there was none. Again, JMO.

Btw, I agree with you, I'd probably be even more suspicious if I still lived in cali too. 'Place is full of crazies haha.

Who would want to shake your hand at the door? New neighbors who want to introduce themselves? Happens pretty often in my neighborhood anyway.

I don't think answering the door with a gun is a big deal (when concealed), I just don't agree with someone holding a gun in plain sight when answering the door, or having it behind their back with nowhere to put it safely and out of sight if the scary mystery person turns out not to be a threat and you need to free up your hands without scaring the crap out of people for no reason. Yeah, you can do what you like in your home and your life (I'm a big fan of it myself), but I still think gun owners have an obligation to act responsibly around other people, who may not find your/our behaviors normal. Call me crazy, but being confronted with a gun at someone's door is pretty menacing and an action that's just asking for conflict. On a personal note, if I knocked on my neighbor's door because my kid threw the dog's toy over in their yard, and they had a gun in hand, I'd feel threatened and they'd probably get mine aimed in their face. Probably wouldn't be a good situation for anyone.

I can read. however, behind the back is not in the open but still in hand..if you pulled your gun in a threatening manner on a person in their house holding their gun in a non threatening manner out of site, You would be in the wrong (in my opinion).

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads