JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Hey guys thanks for correcting me. That's why this site is such a great resource because we can be civil about others mistakes. Either way if the gun is pulled out, there's probably going to be a problem.

For those that rent, or cannot afford a steel door like that (nice!), there is no excuse for having a wimpy front door. Lowes/Home Depot sell storm/security doors for around $300 that can really make a difference.

Pull out all the wimpy screws in your primary door hinges and frame lock sockets and beef them up to 2.5-3" steel screws. Install a 5' door jam plate to secure your primary door lock and deadbolt. Make it very difficult for forced entry.

When on vacation, if you exit/enter through a garage, use a doorknob brace (many manufacturers) to bar the door. Same with sliding glass doors.

Put up cameras. Obvious cameras, not hidden ones.

It is all about being the most troublesome and difficult target.

True, but you take away the opportunity it makes it harder. You can never make yourself fully impossible to criminals, you can only make it harder for them. You are either a hard target or a soft target...criminals target soft targets.

Sure, but weapons and projectiles are everywhere so simply never assume. David killed the giant Goliath with a stone from a stream and had 4 more in his pouch for Goliath's 4 brothers

Bug spray with a high DEET content works great.

I use lacquer thinner, an old kitchen 3M scrubber, a pair of disposable neoprene gloves

Very intuitive for your typical gang. This a new problem or a growing one?

Recurring for the last 20 years but now receding. Amazing how resistance to bad acting can help

Keep the gun in a holster. If its not in a holster its considered brandishing and may be pushed to assault. Yes the laws are stupid and I don't always agree with them but thats what you have to do. One of the more stupid laws is, I am allowed to carry a pistol in Washington but not my Auto's.

Excuse me? What are you talking about? First of all, there is no "brandishing" in WA either. It is called "display with the intent to intimidate".

Secondly, there is no semi-auto pistol that you cannot carry in WA. If you do not have a CPL, you can still OC any pistol you want. It would be best if it was in a holster, but there is no requirement for that.

Also, If you had posession of a full auto prior to 1994 (RCW 9.41.190(3) You can have it here in WA also (just don't commit a crime with it). If you have full auto weapons that were aquired after 1 July 1994, no you cannot legaly posses them in WA.

Excuse me? What are you talking about? First of all, there is no "brandishing" in WA either. It is called "display with the intent to intimidate".

Secondly, there is no semi-auto pistol that you cannot carry in WA. If you do not have a CPL, you can still OC any pistol you want. It would be best if it was in a holster, but there is no requirement for that.

Also, If you had posession of a full auto prior to 1994 (RCW 9.41.190(3) You can have it here in WA also (just don't commit a crime with it). If you have full auto weapons that were aquired after 1 July 1994, no you cannot legally posses them in WA.

You are supposed to have the right to OC here in WA but just try it for a while and find out what happens

As far as I know full auto possession and even the possession of a single full auto only part has been banned in WA State since the Prohibition era. It should be on all of our to-do lists to get both matters corrected in clear, understandable RCWs

Recurring for the last 20 years but now receding. Amazing how resistance to bad acting can help

You sure about that part with David and Goliath?

Who killed Goliath, David or Elhanan?
1 Samuel 17:50 and 2 Samuel 21:19
1.David did (1 Samuel 17:50) - "Thus David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and he struck the Philistine and killed him; but there was no sword in David's hand."

2.Elhanan did (2 Sam. 21:19)- "And there was war with the Philistines again at Gob, and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver's beam."

The answer lies in two areas. 1 Chronicles 20:5 says, "And there was war with the Philistines again, and Elhanan the son of Jair killed Lahmi the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver's beam." This is the correct answer; namely, that Elhanan killed Goliath's brother.

Second, it appears there was a copyist error in 2 Samuel 21:19. According to Gleason Archer's Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties on page 179, it says,

1.The sign of the direct object, which in Chronicles comes just before "Lahmi," was '-t; the copyist mistook it for b-t or b-y-t ("Beth") and thus got Bet hal-Lahmi ("the Bethlehemite") out of it.
2.He misread the word for "brother" ('-h) as the sign of the direct object ('-t) right before g-l-y-t ("Goliath"). Thus he made "Goliath" the object of "killed" (wayyak), instead of the "brother" of Goliath (as the Chronicles passage does).
3.The copyist misplaced the word for "weavers" ('-r-g-ym) so as to put it right after "Elhanan" as his patronymic (ben Y-'-r-y'-r--g-ym, or ben ya 'arey 'ore -gim -- "the son of the forests of weavers" -- a most unlikely name for anyone's father!). In Chronicles the 'ore grim ("weavers") comes right after menor ("a beam of ") -- thus making perfectly good sense.
Therefore, we see that 2 Samuel 21:19 had a copyist error and 1 Chronicles 20:5 is the correct information.

David killed Goliath with Goliath's sword after he brained him with the rock.. first he read Goliath the riot act and then after Goliath fell David rushed him, took his head and held it up to the Philistines, who fled. Wasn't planning on arguing theology just making a physical point

You are supposed to have the right to OC here in WA but just try it for a while and find out what happens

I started Open Carring without a permit in July 1970. Sedro Woolley, Skagit Co. WA. I have OC'd in every county in Western WA and every county I have been in (about half of the) over here on the dry side since we moved here from Mt, Vernon, Skagit Co, 7 years ago (I retired) (BTW: I do have a permit now becasue of old Lowry) I carry every day here on our property, and every time we go somewhere, (like to town)

I have had one "encounter" with LE, that was with a Chelan Co Deputy, about 20 years ago. I was purchasing supplies in Manson by Lake Chelan, and someone called in MWAG. I had finished my shopping and was loading my camper. Pretty hard to miss a big 6" Colt in a hunting holster, you think?

So the complete conversation went...deputy: "hunting" me: "Yep".....

I have OC in WA for over 40 years, and that was it...I have been in grocery stores, restaurants, banks, sporting goods stores, hardware stores, tire stores, costco, walmart...etc etc on both sides. For may years that old Colt was all I had...ever seen someone try to conceal a 6" bull barrel revolver????? it ain't happening folks. After our kids started families of their own I was able to add some more appropreate semi-autos like my present favorite which is a CZ85...still a full sized gun, not easy to conceal...and I don't try to. If my coat covers it, oh well....but you know what? in all those years I have never been asked for my permit...ever...totally irrelivent to OC. I have it so I don't have to wait when I want to purchase a new gun, and I don't have to unload (lowry) when I get in the car.

... and they have been tagging some local signs, business, etc and I remove it immediately.

You want to hear something unbelievable? There is a new block-long low income assistance housing project on SE 181st near Burnside. They have cameras around the outside of the building because it is not the greatest area crime wise.

Now they are putting in internal cameras. Why? Because the INSIDE of the place is being tagged to death. That's right, the INSIDE. Which is secured access by keycode so it has to be actual tenants or guests. LOL! Here, the government basically gives these people nice two bedroom condos for around $600/month and they turn around a tag their own homes! Could you imagine SHTF in that place.
Out of this world.

You want to hear something unbelievable? There is a new block-long low income assistance housing project on SE 181st near Burnside. They have cameras around the outside of the building because it is not the greatest area crime wise.

Now they are putting in internal cameras. Why? Because the INSIDE of the place is being tagged to death. That's right, the INSIDE. Which is secured access by keycode so it has to be actual tenants or guests. LOL! Here, the government basically gives these people nice two bedroom condos for around $600/month and they turn around a tag their own homes! Could you imagine SHTF in that place.
Out of this world.

Sounds like a nice place to park a JDAM :s0155:

14 million worth of construction for those lowlifes. When the Fed is printing trillions out of thin air and government is spending like a drunk sailor it is nice to know it is going to good causes.

In Utah a couple months ago, the guy took 7 or 9 of the SWAT team out before he couldn't fight any more. Wrong address.,... I would hope I do as well if it ever happens here. Very unlikely to happen here...they would have to find my house first. Not that easy to do.

Do you have a link for this story? Thanks.

Why would you do that? Holster it and conceal it on your person instead?

I was thinking worst case where you would have no time to draw, where someone would try to force their way inside after you opened the door. There was one incident in MA where the attacker posed as a pizza guy. That one would be easy to avoid as you know you didn't order pizza. But how about posing as ups of FedEx? I order stuff online all the time, but it's always a different driver who delivers, unlike the mailman. And those companies always leave a sticker on your door if you're not home, so bgs could go and target those as those homeowners are expecting packages.

I see what you're saying, but what makes you think you'll have time to grab a gun that's hidden behind the door or laying somewhere within reach, if you don't have time to draw?

If you're that nervous, why don't you carry at 4, 5, or 6 and rest your hand on your hip or back. At most, anyone at the door will think you're bored or annoyed by having to get up and answer the door and leave. Or get something small enough to put in your pocket and keep a hand rested in it?

I think answering the door with a gun in hand is just asking for trouble. My boyfriend and I were both spending a quiet day at home one day when we got a weird knock on the door that seemed to be no one the first time we looked. Turned out to be a couple of small kids looking for their friend's house so they could ask them to come out and play. I'd advise against having a gun in hand at the door without being faced with a legitimate threat.

I started Open Carring without a permit in July 1970. Sedro Woolley, Skagit Co. WA. I have OC'd in every county in Western WA and every county I have been in (about half of the) over here on the dry side since we moved here from Mt, Vernon, Skagit Co, 7 years ago (I retired) (BTW: I do have a permit now becasue of old Lowry) I carry every day here on our property, and every time we go somewhere, (like to town)

I have had one "encounter" with LE, that was with a Chelan Co Deputy, about 20 years ago. I was purchasing supplies in Manson by Lake Chelan, and someone called in MWAG. I had finished my shopping and was loading my camper. Pretty hard to miss a big 6" Colt in a hunting holster, you think?

So the complete conversation went...deputy: "hunting" me: "Yep".....

I have OC in WA for over 40 years, and that was it...I have been in grocery stores, restaurants, banks, sporting goods stores, hardware stores, tire stores, costco, walmart...etc etc on both sides. For may years that old Colt was all I had...ever seen someone try to conceal a 6" bull barrel revolver????? it ain't happening folks. After our kids started families of their own I was able to add some more appropreate semi-autos like my present favorite which is a CZ85...still a full sized gun, not easy to conceal...and I don't try to. If my coat covers it, oh well....but you know what? in all those years I have never been asked for my permit...ever...totally irrelivent to OC. I have it so I don't have to wait when I want to purchase a new gun, and I don't have to unload (lowry) when I get in the car.

Try it in Seattle or Tacoma or Olympia

Out of this world.

Not surprising at all. The local graffiti I am cleaning up is largely near the section 8 housing near a bike trail and park. It's packed with illegal aliens and other assorted riff raff

I see what you're saying, but what makes you think you'll have time to grab a gun that's hidden behind the door or laying somewhere within reach, if you don't have time to draw?

If you're that nervous, why don't you carry at 4, 5, or 6 and rest your hand on your hip or back. At most, anyone at the door will think you're bored or annoyed by having to get up and answer the door and leave. Or get something small enough to put in your pocket and keep a hand rested in it?

I think answering the door with a gun in hand is just asking for trouble. My boyfriend and I were both spending a quiet day at home one day when we got a weird knock on the door that seemed to be no one the first time we looked. Turned out to be a couple of small kids looking for their friend's house so they could ask them to come out and play. I'd advise against having a gun in hand at the door without being faced with a legitimate threat.

How can it be trouble if you don't show it to them unless they are bad actors? Your exterior doors are some of the most likely places for an encounter, especially when you open to strangers, which we do not. My gal never answers the door, ever, that is my job

How can it be trouble if you don't show it to them unless they are bad actors? Your exterior doors are some of the most likely places for an encounter, especially when you open to strangers, which we do not. My gal never answers the door, ever, that is my job

So if you answer the door, it's a normal person, and they extend their hand to shake it and greet you, you're gonna shake your gun at them???

Use the peep hole people. Check em out before you answer. Peek out the window. If they look shady or you don't know them, don't answer and let them go on their way. If you're expecting a package, put a note on the door instructing them to leave the package. If they don't, go pick up your package and be happy they didn't rush you at the door and attack you with it. There are just so many ways to get around feeling like you need to have a gun in your hand at the door.

If I knocked on my neighbors door, didn't know them well, and they had a hand behind their back I'd immediately be alert to it, suspicious, and uncomfortable. I don't understand how risking a bad reaction from someone else is worth it, especially when you can avoid the situation completely by other means.

And yeah, I don't answer the door either. I leave it to him as well, or we both ignore it. :s0155:

So if you answer the door, it's a normal person, and they extend their hand to shake it and greet you, you're gonna shake your gun at them???

Use the peep hole people. Check em out before you answer. Peek out the window. If they look shady or you don't know them, don't answer and let them go on their way. If you're expecting a package, put a note on the door instructing them to leave the package. If they don't, go pick up your package and be happy they didn't rush you at the door and attack you with it. There are just so many ways to get around feeling like you need to have a gun in your hand at the door.

If I knocked on my neighbors door, didn't know them well, and they had a hand behind their back I'd immediately be alert to it, suspicious, and uncomfortable. I don't understand how risking a bad reaction from someone else is worth it, especially when you can avoid the situation completely by other means.

And yeah, I don't answer the door either. I leave it to him as well, or we both ignore it. :s0155:

You must have missed my earlier comment where I said that even if I know the person I am answering the door armed because while it is open other persons or troubles may surface. This is why castles had door guards when the door was open. If it's someone I know I will holster the gun or put it back in the fanny pack I use about the house after I see they truly are alone. All my friends are pro gun and since I don't open to almost anyone else there's no problem

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top