JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Thanks for that info! I didn't know that before. How about with answering the door, I've heard that the law considers a doorway a "public place". What do you know or think about that situation? Just trying to make sure I've got my bases covered

I always check out who it is at the door from an upstairs window. If I do not know who it is I open the window, gun in hand and ask why they are bothering me.. if it's a friend or neighbor I will then go open the door with my gun behind the door or stuck in my belt.. just because they are OK does not mean a bad actor won't show up while you are talking

My property and especially my front door are very private and certainly not "public"

Thanks for that info! I didn't know that before. How about with answering the door, I've heard that the law considers a doorway a "public place". What do you know or think about that situation? Just trying to make sure I've got my bases covered

Here: RCW 9.41.270: Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm Is the applicable law...memorize it.

It says "while in his or her place of abode, or fixed place of business." If you are inside your house, you are in your abode. If you are at your fixed place of business.... none of RCW 9.41.270(1) applies.

Now if you are a traveling salesman, as in, does your Schwan Truck qualify? I wouldn't push it becasue of the words "fixed place of business". There are other parts that cover things like your car or Schwan Truck. Read and learn all of 9.41. Memorize 9.41.270

Who anises the door? We have a No soliciting sigh on the door. If they cant read and abide by the law there is no reason to answer it. As for good friends we know when they coming or they call. Otherwise we dont open he door. Why becasue all they want to do is sell us religion or services I dont care for from someone I dont trust. We try and only deal with people who have been recommended by friends who have had great service from others before. Never from someone who just shows up at the door.

Our double doors have large patterned glass panes in them. I can pretty much see through them (as can someone from outside). I carry, even my bathrobe is "armed" so I always have a weapon when I answer the door and nobody but me opens the door.

I'm in my house, its legal to carry concealed on your property, so I do, even when doing yard work. I just about to head out to our motorhome in the side yard, and I've got my .45 with me, plus there's another .45 in the motorhome in the safe.

Have done so many times.

Just after I split from my first wife, before I had a chance to move, she kept sending random guys by my place at all times of the day and night. She herself would also make random appearances. It got to the point where I didn't answer the door without my AR slung over my right shoulder, pistol grip in hand, with my handgun holstered on the belt. Pretty sketchy people. That particular apartment didn't have peep holes or windows that would easily allow you to see who was on the porch.

There have been other times since where I still answered the door with gun in hand, hidden from view, just in case. Nice neighborhood, but some people just can't get a clue with a "no soliciting" sign, or it's been an unexpected friendly visit - and the visitor forgot to call before stopping by. No biggie. In such scenarios, I can holster the gun while the door still blocks the gun from the person's view. Anyone who knows me would be understanding, at the least. Those who don't, never saw the gun in my hand.

My answer the door gun is a Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster in my right rear pocket. They can't see it and it is easily accessible to me if needed.

From Gary Kleck: Up to about 2 million "defensive gun uses every year". Most of those don't involve firing a round, rather just showing the potential perp that the person is armed. I suspect that those events would also amount to "intimidation" or "brandishing".
So then, you can't "intimidate" a bad guy to leave you alone, except by shooting him in self-defense?

(A little bit of sarcasm here: I do fear what an overzealous prosecutor might do with a brandishing/intimidation charge when I was merely warning off a bad guy.)

I don't open the door to someone I don't know. I have a camera for that. They look at the camera and tell me why they're knocking, then I usually tell them to get lost. So no, I don't open the door with a gun in my hand...that would be very rude. But then, I am only opening the door for people I know.

If you feel you have to search them, why let them in?:huh::s0131:
I live in a gated community, but there are no street lights and my driveway
is long and dark.
I have a can of L.E. issue Mace on a shelf alongside the (Steel) front door.
There should never be a knock at my door if the porch light isn't on. If there
is, they will stand under the light, in front of the peep hole, until identified.

Anyone entering by any other means will be immediately shot.:s0155:
Let the insurance company worry about the carpet.;)

Jack...:cool:

i mean like patting them down is it legal? or is that invasion of privacy?

No. As long as you let them leave if they don't consent to be searched. You can search anyone coming on your property just like a business owner can have security search anyone searching on their domain.

The above is actually why I don't like the TSA guidelines...if, for whatever reason you decide "F-This I'm taking the bus!" TSA will detain you...they say that once the process has started it can't be stopped- this, I find is intrusive and over bearing government oversight.

Be searched or be detained, then searched by force! Bah!

Sorry for the off topic rant.

Who anises the door? We have a No soliciting sigh on the door. If they cant read and abide by the law there is no reason to answer it. As for good friends we know when they coming or they call. Otherwise we dont open he door. Why becasue all they want to do is sell us religion or services I dont care for from someone I dont trust. We try and only deal with people who have been recommended by friends who have had great service from others before. Never from someone who just shows up at the door.

I have one too in bold words and added letters saying THIS MEANS YOU and I still get attempts.. the funiest one was two JWs who nearly jumped out of their skins when I said in my booming voice YES, WHAT DO YOU WANT? from the window and behind flame thorn branches, I think they thought it was the big Guy and they were cashing in their chips lol

I carry concealed from the moment I get up in the morning, till the moment I go to bed in the evening! Yes, even in my own home. As said at this forum MANY times before, "you never know when your going to need it"!

I don't open the door to someone I don't know. I have a camera for that. They look at the camera and tell me why they're knocking, then I usually tell them to get lost. So no, I don't open the door with a gun in my hand...that would be very rude. But then, I am only opening the door for people I know.

How much are you talking here? $100 $150 to buy and hook up?

This is a no brainer for you house owners.You have the guy on tape?(whatever the term is now) so the person is either OK or he's not wanting to be on camera.
Then you don't need to open the door at all,just tell them to help themselves off the property

The security door is a good addition in my opinion.Yes you can get shot through them,but even the biggest guy will have to work at getting in.And it can obscure their view,making it hard to identify what you really had in your hands.

I have almost always had locked gate around my places so people couldn't just walk up and knock on the door.If they did I would swiftly tell the to GTFO of the yard.But the dogs usually do that for me.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads