JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not wanting to step on another member's thread....I'm thinking I may want a rifle in a pistol caliber as my next purchase, .357, .44 mag, being as I have dies and brass for those. Only one I know of that's easy to get is that little Ubertti "Ranch Hand" or something like that? Would rather have a regular carbine with a little longer barrel. Does someone else out there make repro lever action? Is there such a thing as an older Marlin/Winchester in a pistol caliber that is affordable? $400.00-$700.00?

I 'spose I could go to Google, but people here seem to like helping others spend their money. :D

Enlighten me O wise ones!

Nothing cool is affordable any more.

Pay a little more for something desirable and in better than average condition.
Then enjoy it knowing it will be worth more when you sell it. ;)

Avoid Ubertti or any clone.
Get the real gun!

Nothing cool is affordable any more.

Pay a little more for something desirable and in better than average condition.
Then enjoy it knowing it will be worth more when you sell it. ;)

Avoid Ubertti or any clone.
Get the real gun!

Thing is I have no idea what models/makes/era to look at?

Always there for me Stomper! You're a gentleman AND a lady! :p

I won't get my "panties" in a bunch over that remark... o_O:D

If I were going to get a pistol caliber rifle, .357mag or .44mag would be the calibers I'd roll with, so you're not "all bad". ;)

It's escaping my morning fogged brain ATM, but isn't there a nice .357/.44 mag lever-gun in SS and gorgeous furniture with an "Alaskan" name in it out there that is AWESOME?

There are many options out there in that price range:

1. Rossi model 92 carbine
2. Henry big boy models
3. Marlin model 1894

Just to name a few... Good luck with your search..

Only one I know of that's easy to get is that little Ubertti "Ranch Hand" or something like that? Would rather have a regular carbine with a little longer barrel. Does someone else out there make repro lever action?

For whatever it is worth, Rossi does in .357 Mag., .44 Mag., and .45LC. Info here.

Is there such a thing as an older Marlin/Winchester in a pistol caliber that is affordable? $400.00-$700.00?

Good question. When I saw this thread my first thought was the Winchester 94-44, but most, though not all, the ones I'm seeing online are north of $700. The <broken link removed> in one of those calibers is going to be within that range and it looks like Bud's has them in stock.

Anywho, there are undoubtedly others, but that might help. :)

Right now for sale at Collectors Firearms they have a Ruger 77/44 going for $649.95.
I know its not a lever gun ... but they are good shooters and handle very well.
Also its in the price range quoted.
Andy

Next time I buy a lever, it will likely be a Rossi in .357 I've had the chance to fondle a few owned by friends now and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. They're not show pieces and can sometimes use a little tuneup, but it's hard to beat the value for the $$. I really like the Henry's too, but they are more expensive and the one I had was so pretty I didn't want to risk scratching the finish just to shoot it - I can't afford to own a piece like that, so I moved it on.

It's escaping my morning fogged brain ATM, but isn't there a nice .357/.44 mag lever-gun in SS and gorgeous furniture with an "Alaskan" name in it out there that is AWESOME?

If you're talking about that Alaskan take down gun....It is pretty but at $1400.00+ a little high for the budget.

There are many options out there in that price range:

1. Rossi model 92 carbine
2. Henry big boy models
3. Marlin model 1894

Good question. When I saw this thread my first thought was the Winchester 94-44, but most, though not all, the ones I'm seeing online are north of $700. The <broken link removed> in one of those calibers is going to be within that range and it looks like Bud's has them in stock.

I'd rather not go Henry or Rossi, but that Marlin is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Also, not opposed to going gently used. Looking at Chiappa Carbines, ish....They're pretty proud of their guns aren't they? Of course it is what it is, but if I'm going to pay close to a $1000.00 it seems to "me" that I ought to get a better name. Or am I just ignorant? I may very well be ignorant on gun things! :s0153:

I'm in no hurry here either, and it would be nice to handle some rifles before buying.

I did a quick search on CDNN because their filter works better than others. You might also try @bolus 's search methods and look to WikiArms. Here's a WikiArms search example of 44 Magnum rifle.

Sounds interesting. Good luck!

Hell yeah, I'm ignorant! A whole bunch of reading to do it looks like. At least there's is a lot to choose from, now I need to figure out what I really want.

Next time I buy a lever, it will likely be a Rossi in .357 I've had the chance to fondle a few owned by friends now and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. They're not show pieces and can sometimes use a little tuneup, but it's hard to beat the value for the $$. I really like the Henry's too, but they are more expensive and the one I had was so pretty I didn't want to risk scratching the finish just to shoot it - I can't afford to own a piece like that, so I moved it on.

I really think I prefer the loading gate rather than the tube, you know, like in the "Western" movies....You never saw a cowboy/marshal/desperado put the but on the ground and load the tube! o_O

Just to toss my hat in, I would second the Marlin recommendations. I have had nothing but good from any Marlin I have ever owned, and that for me, being as picky as I am, says something. Another vote for a Winchester too, Never had one in a pistol cal. but a few cousins have them, and I like them a lot! Tough choice man, Best of luck!

The marlin would the best one to look for if you don't want the Rossi or Henry? (What's wrong with the Henry?)
The Rossis are hit and miss if it's fit nice and the action is smooth. But if it is they aren't bad guns.
Personally I would love to have a Henry with the tube load magazine in 44 mag
The Winchesters are pretty spendy but dang nice rifles. Kinda hard to find though
But it can be hard to locate a marlin pistol caliber also. They tend not to sit on the shelf very long,which can raise the prices

Yeah, I saw those Winchesters! Real nice, and too spendy for me, at this point anyway. There's no logical rhyme or reason for what interests me. So many guns, and with my limited time in the hobby my mind is overwhelmed with what is out there.

I've got some gun fund cash. I was thinking Garand,..no, another GI .30 carbine this time,...No....Then, some post on here, or a gun rag article, I don't know, got the grand idea of the cowboy rifle in a pistol caliber....For now.

Thanks for all the replies, it's has given me "Direction"!!

Yeah, I saw those Winchesters! Real nice, and too spendy for me, at this point anyway. There's no logical rhyme or reason for what interests me. So many guns, and with my limited time in the hobby my mind is overwhelmed with what is out there.

I've got some gun fund cash. I was thinking Garand,..no, another GI .30 carbine this time,...No....Then, some post on here, or a gun rag article, I don't know, got the grand idea of the cowboy rifle in a pistol caliber....For now.

Thanks for all the replies, it's has given me "Direction"!!

You poor sick man.
You sound like me. :D

Good luck. And may you never loose your thrill of the hunt. ;)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top