JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well what would you do? I have it narrowed down to a safe from Charlie at Mountain View. I have looked a t a couple of his safes and love the way they look plus the pins are alot bigger than what you can find for comparible prices. Ok my dilema is a bunch of stairs and not alot of room for a safe. So would you buy a smaller one and store it in a bedroom closet for your better guns? Or just get a bigger one and put it in the garage? I am thinking of geting smaller one and having it in the closet to house a few guns. Then get a bigger one to locate in the garage. My garage is heated so not worried about the cold plus the concrete can handle the 1K pounds of a bigger safe. I know the the upstairs floor would not support it. Not sure what way to go but have a few options. Please give your opinion.

Thanks!

I have the big one from Charlie,it is bolted down in the garage.
When loading up what ever vehicle we are using at that time,i like the ability load it in the confines of the garage,or unload after i am through.
I would still recommend a golden rod,or what ever brand you prefer,and a pack of the reusable desicant to put in the safe.
From what i have read,you may have some issues with that much weight ( plus all of the stuff you put in it) on the floor over time.
After the first of the yr,i will be getting a second one,and it too will go in the garage.

I have a large liberty safe, it's not 1,000 pounds, empty it's 700 pounds. I keep it in the house and before I set the safe I set a 1'" mild steel plate +4" width than the safe and
+24" lenght of the safe. Set it on center, bolted the steel plate to the floor joice and then bolted the safe to the plate. The safe isn't going anywhere and the wieght isn't an issue. The steel plate is fairly inexpensive and you can drill the holes on your own. A little more effort but at least my firearms aren't in the garage:cool:

Well,the safe he is referring to weighs 1060 lbs empty.
He has to move it up stairs,through narrow door ways,and the 2nd floor is not going to be as strong as the main floor.
And as to your comment about "but at least my firearms aren't in the garage" means what ?

Thanks! And as for in the garage well my garage can be as warm as the house;) And for me is great s I like to spend alot of time in there.

As for the 1" plate that thing weighs alot. I am a fabricator and know my metal. As for reinforcing a floor I would rather go with a pc of car decking (1 1/8 plywood) rather than steel. My house is post and beam and also I know structural so not to worried about that but like Rkcwrl said it is alot of weight for a second story. And yes I like the fact that getting to the rig is alot easier:s0155:

Has anyone seen one of these?
http://www.pendletonsafes.com/

I liked it until I saw that the top spun as well. Lot of capacity though.

I know someone with a similar issue with their choice. Their preferred location is on the 2nd story for the safe, but they have a detached garage so that isn't really a good choice.

Do you think that 1 1/8th plywood is good enough to disperse the weight of a 900-1000 lb safe once all the guns are in it??

I do not think I would chance the weight on just the 1 1/8 car decking that is used tosday in houses. My house has it to and am thinking of pulling the carpet up and adding a little more support before new carpet goes in. Plus the safe I am looking at is a little bit lighter.

Well,the safe he is referring to weighs 1060 lbs empty.
He has to move it up stairs,through narrow door ways,and the 2nd floor is not going to be as strong as the main floor.
And as to your comment about "but at least my firearms aren't in the garage" means what ?

My garage is where I park my cars, keep my tools and lawn mower. Never considered keeping my firearms in the garage. No offense meant, mine isn't heated and I expect the least secure part of my home. When I open the front door of my home there is little to view whats inside from the street, when I open the garage door everything in there is in full view from the street. A safe in the garage might get unwanted attention. Just my thoughts again didn't mean to offend.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top