JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The photo I found online is of 2 guys at Chipotle's. The picture has since been used by MDA as an illustration to further their cause. This is what I mean by becoming unsuspecting pawns; they think they're doing one thing but it becomes twisted by others. No conspiracy or attempt at disinfo on my part.

Should we cater to the whims of every phobia?

No, but at the same time we should not irrationally challenge them either. It is unreasonable to compare the public display of affection by gays to the open carry of long arms. While sickening and incomprehensible public affection by gays is unlikely to instill panic, the fear of death, bodily injury or criminal activity as the display of a long arm might. Also public affection by gays is not going to result in ancillary activities such as LEO response, possible detainment, ID checking and possibly arrest. So while all phobias may be similar by definition, the reactions will differ depending on the elements.

Last Edited:
My opinion.

Carrying an apparently loaded battle rifle into a public gathering place creates an atmosphere of danger.
Within that atmosphere, the sheep get very fearful:s0001:(seeing OCZs as wolves).
Occasionally (but you wouldn't know it) a sheep-dog mixes with the sheep.
Sheep-dogs see a threat and act.
Outcome in this scenario is the OCZ's fault.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Never been in a Chipotle in my life. Guess I won't miss it.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Who was it...............................Oh ya Forest Gumps mom who said "Stupid is as Stupid does"

Defend your rights all you want but taunting the public with firearms in places they have never seen firearms before and thinking your somehow going to change hearts and minds.

IS STUPID.

Mall+Ninja.jpg

This is a simple attempt at appeasement by Chipotle. I'm all for open carry, but doing so in this kind of manner, not even with rifles slung on their backs, but in their hands is just a rude thing to do and amounts to simple trolling. Plus, look at these two d***henuggets, are these really how open carriers want to be perceived? These dudes are total clowns. I say people do more open carry outdoors as doing this in stores, especially major corporate ones like this is bound to elicit an unwanted response from HQ.

did the open carriers ask Chipotle first if they could gather and lunch with their rifles at their (Chipotles) private establishment during their protest?

More open carriers ruining it for everybody.
Bingo. They're not educating or converting anyone -- they're scaring the sheep and making business people nervous. Enough of these damn "because I can" stunts.

I like chipotle's food, I'm still going to carry, but unless someone becomes a lethal threat while I'm eating my lunch there, they will never know I'm armed.

One of the reasons, if not the major one, for these open carry events in Texas is to change their open carry laws. How do those of us in the pro 2A community who do not live in Texas help get their law changed so that dimbulbs like these two and the marginally brighter group that went to Jack in the Box don't ruin things for the rest of us?

It's all very well and good to gripe and whine and point out that a few nimrods can spoil the party, but we don't live there. We have open carry. Instead of b*tching about dipwads, help get their law changed so they don't do it anymore. This would help all of us.

The only problem here is that those 'soccer moms' that are driving at the front of the anti- crusade are absolutely NOT reasonable. Being seen as reasonable is all well and good, but in the face of irrationality being reasonable might mean something entirely different than it would if you were attempting to be reasonable with a reasonable group that held opposing ideas to yours.

I'm not talking about changing the hearts and minds of the soccer moms who are members of the anti-crusade. I'm talking about the other 99% of soccer moms who don't know anything about guns other than what they see on TV, who really want more information, and want to be sure their kids are safe. I've sat down with that kind of soccer mom and run them through the basics of firearms. When I pull out a polished S&W 66 in .357 Mag, or a Colt semi-auto I've heard gasps of fright. After I've shown them how to handle it, load it, unload it, and [optionally] let them shoot it they have a whole different attitude and are no longer frightened at the sight of a gun. These are the people we can convert to our side, but we can't do that if we look like idiots and mental cases at a fast food place.

We won't have open carry for long in Oregon if this shat keeps going. We have enough open carry youtube activists in Oregon who make it a point to get the police' attention and do the "in your face" style of carry - all they do is scare members of the public - people who may have been on the fence on the gun rights issue, now to be pushed toward the anti side. Every asshat who feels the need to walk into a business slinging an AR, or taking a stroll by the neighborhood elementary school, deserves an bubblegum beating and a tasing because they seriously are doing nothing positive for our cause, but they are doing a lot to hurt the image of gun owners and lawful gun carriers.

To ZA's earlier comment - there IS a difference between walking around with an openly carried pistol on your hip, and walking around with a slung rifle or shotgun - the difference is perception and lethality. Rifles scare people easier than handguns. Rifles are associated with war, combat - purposeful violent killing. Rifles and shotguns are more powerful and thus more likely to kill. Rifles - especially AR's and AK's are larger capacity weapons than most pistols. Rifles are easier to hit with. Rifles are associated with Sandy Hook, the Beltway Sniper, Trolley Square, Clackamas Town Center, the Hollywood Shootout, and the FBI Miami shootout and more. Some random guy walking around with an AR15 or an AK (not that the average person knows the difference) slung, or worse yet in his hands as pictured in the previous posts is a LOT more noticable and scary than some guy with a Glock on his hip.

Handguns at least have the fact that every cop in the US carries one - they are a lot more easily associated with good guys - protectors - than "assault" or military style rifles are in the eyes of the non-gunny types. To the untrained eye, a handgun in a hip holster is not as readily accessible or immediately threatening as a rifle on a sling, or in a guy's hands.

When you sit down to eat at a place like chipotle - the handgun pretty much disappears. What do you do with that AR when you slide into the booth at Chipotle? Lean it on the table? Put it on the ground? How about across your chest or lap - and thus sweeping everyone beside you? And how many people did the assclowns in the above photos muzzle sweep before and after these photos?

Yes, it sucks that Texans can't open carry a handgun. But they CAN get a CHL and carry. They could and be working on their legislators to change the laws - instead of staging stunts like this at private businesses. But scaring people is NOT going to win votes, and is NOT going to help your cause one iota.

Look what open carry demonstrators - and I point specifically to the guys toting AR's around downtown Portland and other locales - accomplished in Oregon - they have gotten more counties and cities to join the likes of Portland and ban general OC. They have managed to get the "other side" to chip away further at our rights - rather than pushing toward a Vermont/Arizona/Alaska model for carry laws. We already have the deck stacked against with the liberal slant of this state - and more events like this will get the lawmakers to revisit their "common sense" gun control measures, or maybe Ginny Burdick will get her batshat crazy bills in and we'll wind up with more carry restrictions, mag restrictions, and a ban on AR's ala California.

The fat bubbas with their tacticool slung rifles are NOT representative of me, and I don't want them being the face of gun rights, I don't want to be lumped in with those martians, but because THEY are gun owners and I am a gun owner, I already am, and now one of my favorite places to eat has now said "we don't want your gun in our store" - whereas before these stunts they were neutral.

It's easy to blame just MDA for Chipotle and Starbucks - but the OC demonstrators ARE the ones really responsible. You want to compare gun rights to gay rights - the guys carrying their slung long arms around schools, coffee shops and burrito shacks are the equivalent to the flamboyant drag queens flaming it up in a gay pride parade - they are the visible fringe that alienates members of their own community, and they never accomplish anything except getting their face in a newspaper once in a while. It's not the big gay drag queens getting gay marriage legalized - it's the "normal" people working to effect positive changes for their cause getting it done - just like it is in the gun rights arena. It's the normal, articulate people winning debates on the talking head shows, it's the lawyers and spokes people like Gotleib and the Second Amendment Foundation getting real positive change. Not some jerk with his AR15 posing in a fast food place.

It's all about perception - scaring people does not win their vote - and openly carrying a rifle scares people, and it is not unreasonable for them to be scared seeing a rifle in a place you dont' expect to see a rifle. We do not live in Somalia or Iraq or some other third world crap hole - normal people do not walk around with rifles in public. We are not in a war zone. Like it or not - it is never going to be acceptable socially to walk around with your rifle in urban areas until/unless we fall into war on our soil. I for one don't want that, and hope it never happens in my life time.

Handguns are defensive weapons. Rifles are offensive weapons. Handguns can be readily and easily operated one handed in a defensive situation. They can be used in tight, close in positions. They are more easily defended in a gun grab attempt, and they aren't terribly conspicuous even carried openly on the belt. Rifles - especially magazine fed semi autos - are much more suited for two handed operation and require more room to deploy. . A rifle will be more easily taken away, or taken out of action in a close quarters hands-on fight. That sling attached to it can be cut, or could be used to choke you. You have a lot more gun to grab onto to push the muzzle away, and a lot more gun to grab in an attempt to disarm the wielder. And there is no inconspicuously carried rifle. Don't try to sell the notion that rifles are the best urban defensive weapon

If I'm sitting in a Chipotle or McDonalds or Subway or a Starbucks, and some guy walks in with a rifle - I'm leaving, and I might just be calling the cops myself to check on him. I won't risk my family or my own safety betting on if this guy is just a gung-ho gun rights "hero" or the next would be spree killer.

Ok, here's the thing... I'm probably in line with the middle ground here.

I noticed a few people brought up closeted vs open homosexuality. Here's the thing, when gay people started showing up in business attire a whole lot more doors opened to them than when they showed up wearing a pair of assless leather chaps and sunglasses.

As far as I'm concerned, showing up to a chipotle with a long gun is roughly the 2A equivalent. Even if you are making a statement no one takes you seriously, and we all understand how gay you are when you're sucking some dude off, that doesn't mean we want to see it, be around it, or really even think about it.

That gun is a barrier, it's something that separates gun owners, it's not an educational tool. Ever heard the phrase "you get more flies with honey than insect repellent?" same thing applies here.

At the same time, all these people running around with ipod/pood/wtf it is baiting the cops, as seen in the video above, the cop gives zero s#!7s about what the guy is saying, but usually when someone calls, he has to show up and listen to your dry poorly delivered breathless lines about how it's legal, and you're not breaking any laws, and why it shouldn't be illegal. It's childish, knock it the f--- off.

Way back in the day, where most of the time it was still legal to open carry firearms no one did it, why? because guns are usually heavy. Unless you had to move it from place to place, at which point, you probably had the common sense to put it in a scabbard, a case (so it doesn't get scratched) and again, no one cares.

This is really one of those cases where the activists generally do about as much damage as they do help the cause. What I want to see is a bunch of guys out there carrying assault weapon cases, record the cops when you say "guns? what guns? we're just carrying cases". Show up at chipotle with no guns...

Really, I don't like chipotle, I think their food is nasty, after seeing the photo I guess they were going for quantity. Either way, chipotle sucks.

This whole thing is a war of over-the-top activists, and when you pit motherhood against fat gamer nerds, even though gamer nerds are probably a bigger segment of the clientel for crappy fast food, every corporation is going to side with mothers, no matter how stupid or irrational they are.

I have said it before and I say it again. Just because you can do something does not mean you should do it.

I think the two posts above by "AMProducts" and "mkwerx" are spot on and well written, albeit a little on the graphic side. But you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs and you said exactly what I was thinking.

These dudes had more bravado than brains. You want to OC, fine, but don't antagonize. Your rights are as thin as the piece of old parchment they are written on. You get enough voters focused on your "making a statement" asshattery guess what you won't get to do anymore.

If only common sense would come in the box with the gun...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top