JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Firearms are not pencils , they don't come with erasers.
If you have a "Oops" moment , you can't erase it and start over.
Maybe if more folks kept this in mind with guns and other items , we would see less stories like in the OP....
Andy

Firearms are not pencils , they don't come with erasers.
If you have a "Oops" moment , you can't erase it and start over.
Maybe if more folks kept this in mind with guns and other items , we would see less stories like in the OP....
Andy

It's all about education...

Off topic but adds to the point (maybe a bit long):

Little background - I used Swiss Army knives in Boy Scouts before lock blade knives were common; learned a few times that those suckers will fold over and bite you if you use them wrong lol.

-I'm no Chef but a hell of a cook and was taught early how to chop veggies and meat for meals with the family; learned pretty quick that a sharp knife does less damage when you do cut yourself & to keep my fingernails in between my fingers and the knife hehe.

Got some 6" hunting & fighting knives with light blades; learned there is a right and wrong side to hold a bolisong when playing with them haha!

Even had/have a few swords and machetes.

So I considered myself a knife savvy guy...

My first "big knife" (9" blade with a 3/8" spine) I got I promptly took the handle scales off to give it a good cleaning and cut myself (minor but wasn't used to such a heavy knife). Wife made some fun of me and told me if I cut myself again then I was grounded for a week from it for my own safety lol.

Put a lanyard on it and attached it incorrectly; sure as sh!t I let go of it and went to grab it on the backswing not realizing how fast a heavy knives swings literally 2 min before my wife walked through the door. Of course I was honest about my bleeding hand as that knife was in my other hand:D; she mostly playfully tells me to take a break from it for a few days before I loose a finger, so I did:oops:.

Took that time to YouTube every combination of "how to handle large knives & large knife safety"; learned correct ways to use a lanyard and listened repeatedly to guy's saying the bigger the knives the more dangerous they are;).

I've cut myself a couple times since with big knives but rarely and if you play with big knives it's just a fact of life; you must play with it too understand it:p.

My Point being, unless your raised with guns or put active energy and time into familiarizing yourself with as many guns as you can (pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns of all types) then you will make assumptions based on what you do know and sometimes a little info is more dangerous then none at all...

Guns are SUPER safe, I've never had a negligent discharge and never put a hole in something I wasn't aiming at; plus I carry with one in the pipe and have never worried about it - but that's after a literal lifetime of shooting and fondling guns since 4 years old.

Gun safety and checking balances should be mandatory for high schoolers as a minimum and not try to teach them to pass federal and state "aptitude" tests; instead focus on real world information that could save their lives in more ways then one (stuff their parents should know and teach but at this point many of the parents are lacking those skills themselves).

Long story short, I agree with people above - there's no going back when you make a mistake with a gun; no filing bankruptcy, no insurance to replace the kitchen you set on fire, just the consequences of mishandling a firearm.

:s0137:

A damn Texan that doesn't think the world needs guns and no more then 10 round mags :oops:... We avoid talking about guns because it always ends up an argument that ends with him saying "No one needs anything more then a double barrel 12ga loaded with buckshot..."

Makes my blood boil that he won't listen to reasonable arguments.

I agree Joe, doesn't matter where we are people have bumped their heads at birth, HARD!!! I always ask them when in conversations with opposing views on guns if they were dropped as a baby....:eek:

I agree Joe, doesn't matter where we are people have bumped their heads at birth, HARD!!! I always ask them when in conversations with opposing views on guns if they were dropped as a baby....:eek:

Eh, just about everyone in my family (close or distant) thinks I'm a "paranoid gun nut" cuz I carry a CC gun and brush off or just flat out don't want to hear the reasons why - and I'm a big dude so it's not like I can't defend myself from most attacks (or more often it prevents them most likely) but guns are the great equalizer and I'd rather not get in a knife fight even though I carry one, everyone gets bloody and those things do a lot of damage...

It's like the stereotypical ostrich with their heads buried because that's easier to deal with then face the fact that there is real evil out there whether you want to acknowledge it or not...:confused:

1. My dad (passed in 1996) was in the back seat of a car with a bunch of buddies going deer hunting, and they were driving to their area to hunt. Someone sees a deer off in the woods. The dummy sitting next to my dad grabs his rifle, points it out the window on the opposite side he was sitting on.My dad was at that end of the seat looking out that window. Dummy takes the shot, scares the snot out of my dad, and probably was why he never heard vary well. Dad says you haven't heard a big boom untll some idiot lets lose INSIDE a car.

2.Dude I used to work with told me this. His parents were gone for the weekend, and he had his buddy over. Of course he takes out his dad's hunting rifle from the closet, and farts around with it. Gun goes BOOM! Oh oh. Big hole in the wall. They get the stuff to patch and paint over the bullet hole. Whew! All good. Parents come home the next day. Mom goes into her very long closet. Finds one hole in every dress, coat, whatever all the way through that closet. A woman sometimes treasures her cloths!! Dum kid is busted.

3. Worked with another dude that had one of those butterfly knives. He thought he'd show off a bit, and goes twirling it around and such. Nails a large deep slice in one of his figers, and went to a clinic for stitches.

Moral of the stories? 1.Know your friends and their hunting habits. They do this to you, beat them to a pulp and be done with them.
2.Never leave a loaded gun in your house if you have a brain dead son. Since I use handguns for defense (and have), I leave one handgun loaded well hidden where I can still get to it in a home invasion (which happened once to me 41 years ago). I see no reason to have a loaded rifle. Anyone counting on their rifle for defense, find a way to secure it where you can still get to it if needed.
3. Darwin award nominees should stay the hell away from sharp knives.

I hope this lady survives and lives a long, happy life.

1. My dad (passed in 1996) was in the back seat of a car with a bunch of buddies going deer hunting, and they were driving to their area to hunt. Someone sees a deer off in the woods. The dummy sitting next to my dad grabs his rifle, points it out the window on the opposite side he was sitting on.My dad was at that end of the seat looking out that window. Dummy takes the shot, scares the snot out of my dad, and probably was why he never heard vary well. Dad says you haven't heard a big boom untll some idiot lets lose INSIDE a car.

2.Dude I used to work with told me this. His parents were gone for the weekend, and he had his buddy over. Of course he takes out his dad's hunting rifle from the closet, and farts around with it. Gun goes BOOM! Oh oh. Big hole in the wall. They get the stuff to patch and paint over the bullet hole. Whew! All good. Parents come home the next day. Mom goes into her very long closet. Finds one hole in every dress, coat, whatever all the way through that closet. A woman sometimes treasures her cloths!! Dum kid is busted.

3. Worked with another dude that had one of those butterfly knives. He thought he'd show off a bit, and goes twirling it around and such. Nails a large deep slice in one of his figers, and went to a clinic for stitches.

Moral of the stories? 1.Know your friends and their hunting habits. They do this to you, beat them to a pulp and be done with them.
2.Never leave a loaded gun in your house if you have a brain dead son. Since I use handguns for defense (and have), I leave one handgun loaded well hidden where I can still get to it in a home invasion (which happened once to me 41 years ago). I see no reason to have a loaded rifle. Anyone counting on their rifle for defense, find a way to secure it where you can still get to it if needed.
3. Darwin award nominees should stay the hell away from sharp knives.

I hope this lady survives and lives a long, happy life.

Gawd I'm glad I've grown out of those stages! Cars, guns, knives......and dumb kids! :s0021:

Agreed, never hand a loaded weapon to someone.

And ALWAYS follow the simple rules of firearms!
I have handed loaded firearms to people, such as my young son, to shoot a number of times.

Seeing as the media comes out with every negligent discharge of a fire arm story they can find, I find my self reading part of the story, if I bother to read at all, and feeling"Meh". MY personal feeling any more is, there's a lot of dumb/careless people out there boys and girls! Every day there are many, many more people doing dumb careless thing in cars and killing people.....Walking in front of moving cars and dying....Falling off cliffs.....And all the dumb stuff people do while under the influence of intoxicants, OH BOY! That's a big one for taking people out right there, isn't it?

I guess all we can really do is to keep preaching the four basic rules of gun safety isn't it, because I've heard that "You can't fix stupid!", and am reminded of that any day I read/watch news!

Following proper gun handling procedure prevents accidents.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top