JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone carry a Derringer anymore?
Been thinking about a slim, discrete EDC and the thought hit me, why not a Derringer?.
Slim, discrete, granted only 2 shots but nothing is perfect.
In the Riverboat Gambler days, it was the order of the day.
I just wonder if the design is still viable in this day and age.

Dean

Since small .380s, 9s, or .38s are only a little larger and usually hold 2-3x more ammo I have never considered a derringer. They are available in larger calibers, but is that worth having such a small capacity? I don't think so.

Besides I think it is possible for them to be too small, if it fits in a pocket does it really need to any smaller? My .38 LCR rides nicely in a front pocket, it could probably be smaller, but it would still need a holster and to be in the pocket by itself, so what's the point?

Viable? Viable for what?

And my friend carried one while he had one. Tbh I'd use one for snakes, but other than that I don't see a point. And I have a different gun for that sort of thing anyways.

Since small .380s, 9s, or .38s are only a little larger and usually hold 2-3x more ammo I have never considered a derringer. They are available in larger calibers, but is that worth having such a small capacity? I don't think so.

Besides I think it is possible for them to be too small, if it fits in a pocket does it really need to any smaller? My .38 LCR rides nicely in a front pocket, it could probably be smaller, but it would still need a holster and to be in the pocket by itself, so what's the point?

I need one in my hat!!!

Maybe..
If someone wanted to carry a gun in say , their workplace , that has a strict no firearms allowed policy.

But as pointed out above...are there pistols and revolvers that are roughly the same size that hold more than two shots...?
Not saying to not use or carry a Derringer type pistol here , just wondering...
Either way , both beat my everyday carry :
DSC03431.jpg
Just kidding...:D
Andy

Last Edited:
I had long ago had one of the High Standard ones. I was forever looking for a gun I could carry in a pocket and forget. Nothing ever worked until the NAA .22 and later the Kel-Tec .32. The Derringer left when I got the first NAA. Just as easy to carry, shoot, and 5 instead of 2. When you get into the ones that use a larger caliber the guns start to be the same size and weight as a nice .32, so why settle on 2 shots. Some of these in the larger calibers get to the size of a nice 9mm.

Maybe..
If someone wanted to carry a gun in say , their workplace , that has a strict no firearms allowed policy.

But as pointed out above...are there pistols and revolvers that are roughly the same size that hold more than two shots...?
View attachment 468113
Andy
You know what they say... Go big or go home.
Yuan_chinese_gun.jpg

Last Edited:
The Bond Arms Derringers are exceedingly "nice"*.

I would carry one as a backup piece... maybe in a pocket or give ankle-carry a try. TBH tho, I think I'd rather spend that dough on a Seecamp .32.

*The quotes are only to denote that I'm using that weak word advisedly. Fit, finish, machine work, details... all very nice. A well put-together, serious take on a niche-y firearm. Compared to the Davis derringers from the 80s... "exceedingly nice".

Last Edited:
Sig P365 or .38 snubby fit almost anywhere. I take the dog for a walk almost nightly and the .38 has been a faithful companion for many years for that purpose.

Maybe..

View attachment 468113
Andy
Come on Andy at least carry a pepper box :p

A pepperbox would be nice to have in my collection...:D
But I teach ...so carrying is not a allowable option...:oops:
Andy
I'm surprised you don't already have one for your black powder collection.
I'd want one simply because it is one of the first successful double action pistols,possibly the only one at the time, what an advantage to have 6 shots on tap and not having to cock a hammer first.
I have always liked the Allen & Thurber versions, the .31 versions are pretty small.

If you carried a pepperbox you could say it isn't technically labeled a firearm by the ATF....

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top