An odd auction experience.

Reactions
I went to an auction out in Hillsboro that was mostly furniture and knick knacks, but had a few guns. What they finally sold for has me stumped.

One rifle was a beater Japanese WW2 surplus. $125. Seemed fair, maybe cheap.
One was a cleaner Japanese WW2 surplus with a clean chrysanthemum and the wire monopod. It was a clean nice complete sample with typical war bumps and scrapes. I was guessing $50, but it went for $225.
One was an 11mm Mauser, 187? era, complete and functional. I would also have put this one at $450 or so, but it might have been hampered by the hard to find caliber. It went for $225

Here's the doozy. There was a trapdoor springfield carbine, advertised "for parts" and boy were they right. It was a replica, had a plastic stock, the hinge pin was missing so the breechblock falls in your hand, the action looked and felt "cheezy", and the odd thing was it had an original old barrel and rear sight. I know the sight can sell for $30 or so on Ebay, but I was thinking this was a $25 rifle so I could get a couple springs and sear parts. It went for $450 or so. The odd thing was, the auctioneer started at $300 and at least 2 people were bidding, so it wasn't just one fool. By comparison, a quality reproduction in clean accurate condition is about $500.

I'm just stumped, and a little peeved at myself that I stopped bidding on the Mauser.

I did no go to this particular auction, but went to a similar one at the same location a couple of months ago. I was completely shocked at how much some of these old weapons were going for. Way out of my price range. A mosin went for about $400. A couple of mausers 8mm and 11mm went for over $350. I usually only go on the nights they auction firearms, but figured this time I could skip, nothing of interest for me.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Upstanding Vendor!
    Have worked with this business twice and both times were outstanding! Will definitely keep going to him when I'm up in that area! Shoot, will...
    • HA556
  • Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done a lot of deals here
    Gary's easy to work with when in town.
    • matts
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Business!
    I have been going to Vancouver Weapon Werx for years and know both owners quite well. The only downfall is I go there to purchase or have a gun...
  • SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    5.00 star(s)
    A great, safe place to go shooting
    Love this place!! Great staff, the range masters are friendly, helpful and alert. This is a safe place to shoot. The store is kind of low on stock...
    • GWS
Top Bottom